• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery in Belgium

ladilindy

Thought it was time I introduced myself, after reading the site avidly for a few months.

I am having a bypass on 31 March with Dr Chris de Bruyne in Belgium.

Although I meet all the NICE criteria for the NHS I do not meet my local hospitals, so my amazing husband has borrowed the money for me to go abroad.

I have battled with my weight since I had my children nearly 40 years ago and I now have no life outside of work because I have depression and I am so ashamed of my body. I am looking forward to getting to know you all.

Lynn xx

jan52

Thought it was time I introduced myself, after reading the site avidly for a few months. I am having a bypass on 31 March with Dr Chris de Bruyne in Belgium. Although I meet all the NICE criteria for the NHS I do not meet my local hospitals, so my amazing husband has borrowed the money for me to go abroad. I have battled with my weight since I had my children nearly 40 years ago and I now have no life outside of work because I have depression and I am so ashamed of my body. I am looking forward to getting to know you all. Lynn xx

Hi Lynn, I had a mini gastric bypass with Dr Chris in Belgium on the 26 September 2014... About 5 months ago now. I was the same as you! I met the nice 40 BMI but my local NHS have a band of 50 BMI before referral so I bit the bullet and when for it. Best thing I've ever done for myself!
Everything when well over there.... It was very easy and I was well cared for.... I was 18.1 stone on day of surgery and today I am 13.7 stone. Loss in of 4 stone 8 lbs to date. If you have and questions re Belgium please feel free to message me.... I'm very excited for you and the new freedom this will bring to your life and self esteem. :) x

BFB

Welcome and good luck. I'm having a bypass about 2 weeks after you. It's exciting to think of that new life that awaits us :)

Lady Di

Hi, I'm due to have a sleeve op on 18th March with Dr Philip vanden borre in Belgium. My husband borrowed the money too for me to have it done. I'm going through a patient care manager called Chris debris in UK and am about to part with the money. Is this all legit or a money grabbing scam? Has anyone else dealt with him and it's all legit?

jan52

Hi, I'm due to have a sleeve op on 18th March with Dr Philip vanden borre in Belgium. My husband borrowed the money too for me to have it done. I'm going through a patient care manager called Chris debris in UK and am about to part with the money. Is this all legit or a money grabbing scam? Has anyone else dealt with him and it's all legit?

Hi Lady Di.... Mine was a different Dr but they were very legit. I transferred them money directly to the hospital account so there was a money trail etc. some pay deposit then cash on arrival. I have heard of your surgeon... I think others on here have used him. I'm sure all will be fine. Just make sure you get receipts etc along the way. Wishing you the very best with your sleeve and new slimmer healthier life.

Lady Di

Thank you so much for your reply. It's made me feel a lot better. I was beginning to think it was a scam as it all seemed very easy to book etc. My 'consultation' was a five minute chat over the phone, a quick questionnaire by email and I had an appointment for the op given that day for four weeks time. Worried but also excited to get it done now. I'm 18st 9 and hope to lose 8st.

ladilindy

Sorry not to have responded sooner, the keyboard on my laptop is doing weird things.

Thanks Jan52 and Gweni for the reassurance, I did a lot of research and could only find positive comments for Dr Chris and meeting Frederik really helped to set my mind at rest.

Can I ask how you found your journey home as I will be travelling alone?

Lynn x

jan52

Thank you so much for your reply. It's made me feel a lot better. I was beginning to think it was a scam as it all seemed very easy to book etc. My 'consultation' was a five minute chat over the phone, a quick questionnaire by email and I had an appointment for the op given that day for four weeks time. Worried but also excited to get it done now. I'm 18st 9 and hope to lose 8st.

Mine was similar Lady Di.... I didn't even meet Dr Chris until 30 mins prior to going to theatre and had just had email contact with his support team. I sent them my details and back story they said yes your a suitable candidate. We booked a date ( mine was 5 weeks) and I transferred the money and booked flights... My lot were very good at coordinating it all... Like you I was concerned but they were there to collect me from airport, I had a nice hotel and room etc.. I took a female friend with me that stayed at the hotel as part of my package. Their patient care manager came to see me at the hotel a couple of hours after arriving in the early evening and I was at the hospital for 7.00 AM the next morning... When to theatre at 11 AM. There was no messing about. We stayed in a hotel just across from the hospital and had a walk that evening prior so we knew where to go etc.... Arrived Thursday tea time, had opp on Friday Morning, left hospital for hotel on Sunday, flew home Monday!..... Life changing weekend! :)

ladilindy

Not too long for you to wait now Shauna, are you feeling more nervous or excited?

Lady Di

Wow, all done and dusted for you then and all good from here on in. I'm excited but nervous and can't wait to get the op over with and to be a few months down the line. Still not told anyone though apart from husband of course as he's offered to pay for it and a good friend who's daughter is having it done this Saturday.

Curls40

Best thing I ever did having surgery.
I was Nhs. But in a private hospital ,
You won't realise it till 4/5 months down the line post op, first 8 weeks are tough, it's not easy,
But it's only 8 weeks out of your life,x
Remember that.

ssuez01

Hi Lynn
I had my gastric band fitted by Dr Chris in Belgium. The care was excellent. Frederick and Bart were also great, even coming to hotel to check on you.
Good luck in your journey. :)

ladilindy

Hi Lynn
I had my gastric band fitted by Dr Chris in Belgium. The care was excellent. Frederick and Bart were also great, even coming to hotel to check on you.
Good luck in your journey. :)

Thank you, I met Frederik in London, he was lovely and really put my mind at ease about my decision

Lynn x

ladilindy

Can I be cheeky how much cheaper is it to go to Belgium for surgery please x

It is costing me 7450 euros for my bypass. It is slightly cheaper than normal because I am travelling alone and will not need the hotel room for the 3 nights I am in hospital.

Lynn x