• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SURGERY IS ONE MONTH AWAY!

NewMeNina

So hello everyone my names Sabrina I am 20 years old and my current weight is 343! I've been through all necessary criteria and am just about to start my 4 weeks of fasting!! I'm super scared about surgery around the corner is there any advice you guys have to help calm my nerves!!

princess4d4

hi and welcome think we are all scared at some point it is normal i just started my 4 week pre op today and now its a reality im scared but also excited you have come to the right place lot of people here who jhave or are going through the same offering massive support

NewMeNina

Thanks I know a lot of people are telling me its normal I think the thing I'm most afraid of is the first bites after surgery! This is all so new for all of us! And awesome you started your fast today!!! I'm starting my hopefully in a week they gave me some things I may have crystal light gelatin etc. Also a frozen dinner once each day because I know I will go nuts with out some texture and chewing for a month!

princess4d4

i got to choose from 5 diets and chose to do 2 of them each for 2 weeks so doing 2 weeks meal replacement and then 2 weeks milk

NewMeNina

Oh nice I only have this option which isn't bad 3 shakes plus frozen meal. How do you plan on pureeing meals after surgery some people I know make and freeze there meals in ice cube trays for perfect servings and some people just eat baby food I'm unsure?!

Lincs Lass

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your 'journey'

PokeyKoala

Good Luck !

My op is 3 weeks from tomorrow. I meet with the dietician tomorrow to find out what my pre-op diet plan is!

As for post op - when I am on the squidgy stage, I am planning a combo of puréed foods (got to feed the OH too) and baby/toddler meals for convenience. Plus, I rather enjoy baby rice ! :p

canjam

Hi
I too, will have surgery in April.
I'm a little scared also but what has helped me, is talking to people who have had wls and researching my procedure at every opportunity.
The updates on the forum from post oppers is invaluable.
Best wishes on your journey.

Crystalrainbow

Hi and welcome hun congrats on getting your date, wish you loads of luck :) I found it was easiest to get loads of small containers (local £1 shop) and when i was cooking for hubby the extra just went into the freezer :) simples
I would double check on the baby food..... it may not have the right things in to sustain you? also cooking your own you certainly know exactly whats going in your food .....
x x x

chrisa

Yes I agree with crystalrainbow, baby food is not recommended . Planning and freezing meals is very handy because when you first come home and need to strat your puree diet the last thing you can be bothered with ismaking meals and just thinking about it does yiour head in. You also hit the stage what have I done all is perfectly normal some people have it worse than others but if you are prepared and sorted all well n good. can get loads of containers from pound shop I still do that now have 3 beef stew in freezer at moment for me. I tended to cook a big batch each week of stuff and always had lfat custard pots in and s/f jelly. Cheese triangles, sunday lunch I used to make 7 lots up one for each day, that way I knew I was getting good wholesome food each day protein n veg and you made it yourself so you know what went in it. Also I still mainly eta fresh fruit n veg I think that coupled with the vitmains and meds we take have helped me stay healthy without getting colds etc. So that's one big plus. Chicken beef n pork all make a lovely dinner adding mint sauce to beef, stuffing to chicken and apple sauce to pork just give s you a different taste, I did find that my food was more appertising when I pureed each veg separately and put a spoon of each in my box. then its not just all moulded into one blob of no colour. Add gravy and water to water things down so that it can go through your body without hurting you. You can plan now while you have time it takes a lot of pressure off later on. Good luck with your liver reduction diets and ops. Don't worry about your first food after op at first its just water some hospitals have you on just fluids for a while we went straight onto puree for 4 weeks then soft texture then more or less ordinary food , bread, pasta and rice being the very last things as they can cause problems for some people. The 1st thing we were given was a Weetabix. Fear does help you out because we eat like birds because we are scared of doing damage and you know just take your time with it its amazing how nice purreed veg can taste when you have been on the preop diets and then your op. I did miss crunching things for a good while though and the best bit of advice I can give you is stay away from crisps biscuits etc, because once you introduce them back in that's it they are back to stay. xx

PokeyKoala

By baby food, I mean some of the pre-prepared baby and toddler meals in a local shop to me - Cook. They are pretty nutritious and certainly not your off the shelf Heinz type pots. And I don't plan to be living off them, it is more for the odd occasion where I need simplicity.
Like I said, will be cooking for the OH anyway so batching is something I do already. :)

princess4d4

i have been blending leftovers for a few weeks and freezing them in little tubs like the ones you would put home made baby foods in i have 3 or 4 weeks worth in my freezer as i didnt want to be messing with it all post op just wanted it ready to go

Crystalrainbow

It certainly makes life easier Princess, in fact i'm 5 weeks post op and still doing the pots of food, as portions are small there are always leftovers. I hate to waste food so in the freezer it goes. The other alternative immediately post op (i was straight on mushy) was to get a fish pie or shepherds pie (ready meal) and split it up into containers too.
Also i have a fabby soup maker which i threw in my veggies and ta dah fabby soup any spares went in the freezer too.

As Chrisa said it certainly help immediately post op because you wont feel like doing it then, so get prepared is the key i think to hassel free post op eating :)

I portioned mine out and just whizzed it when i was going to eat it adding any extra flavour if i needed it ..... hot chilli sauce my saviour LOL

princess4d4

i did things like shepherds pie casseroles etc even a sunday roast blitzed them with loads of gravy and just portioned from there even went and made things like apple sauce with no sugar for a dessert if i dont fancy savoury

Butterfly_lady

Hi and good luck :)

chrisa

Yeah I pureed fruit too strawberries, bananas, pears and apple. Had it some days with bit of low fat custard as the meal or snack. Fruit n veg most important alongside the protein. xx