• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Very sure but very scared!

TessG

Hi. My name is Hannah and I'm 27 years old. I have struggled with my weight for most of my life and have been attending the Addenbrookes Obesity clinic for years. I was approved funding about four years ago but on the advice of my heart surgeon (I have a heart defect) I turned the operation down. My heart surgeon said he would fix my heart and that I would be able to get the weight off without going down the surgical route.

He didn't fix me and i'm bigger now than ever!

So I reapplied for funding.

I found out last week that my funding had been approved and so am being sent to Homerton hospital for the actually surgery.

I am soooo sure that this is the right decision but am scared about the whole thing.

I was just wondering if anyone kjnows how long it takes to get an initial appointment at Homerton and how long after that appointment the surgery is likely to be? I know they are very busy but I don't want to sit and worry about it. I just want it done now!

I have been looking around this website and I think it is fantastic! So thanks to those that set it up.

Hi Hannah. Welcome :)

Sorry I don't have any answers for you but I hope you get them soon and take comfort in the rest of the members in similar positions here :)

Hi Hannah, can't really advise you on Homerton as I am under a totally different PCT & treatment area, but I am sure someone in that area will be around a bit later to give you some relevant info. Just wanted to say hi & welcome to the forum. There are loads of lovely people on here who have been through the system & had their ops who can give you great advice. Any WLS is a big thing, but congrats on getting the funding & please try to remember, that your surgeon (when you finally get to meet him) has a very experienced team, so they will take good care of you xxxx

Not in your pct but just wanted to welcome you and wish you all the best on your journey. As others say, have faith in your surgeon, hopefully you won't wait too long xx

Hiya im not in your pct erea either but i just thought id drop a line to say hi and welcome to WLS they are all nice people on here, see your around xxx

again just wanted to say hi and welcome x

Hi Hannah, i just want to welcome you to this site and all the very best with your weight loss journey.Marie.:welcome2:

Hi Hannah and welcome.

Hopefully a homerton patient will be along soon to advise on waiting times etc. Good luck with your journey x x

Hi Hannah,

I had my op at Homerton. Not sure if we fall under the same PCT though.

I spoke to my GP about having some sort of surgery in July last year and received an appointment for the bariatric team 4 weeks later. From the date of my first referral appointment at Homerton to my op it took about 10 months.

My Consultant is Mr Mannur and My surgeon was Mr Agarwal. I have no complaints at all and at almost four weeks post surgery I feel fine.

If you want any other info please feel free to ask.

Poppy x

Thanks for all the responses.

Poppycorn what was the pre-op diet that they put you on? I'm gluten intolerant and don't get on well with milk either so am a bit concerned!

Hi Hannah

Sorry it's taken so long to respond.

I had a choice of 3 - the milk only, 5 slimfast shakes and bovril per day or 1000cals per day.

I can't abide milk so that was a definite no, I tried the slimfast but couldn't finish a shake as I thought they were vile, and I ended up doing the 1000cal one - example of this below:-

Breakfast :
1 portion carboydrates (Carbs)
1 portion dairy

Lunch:
No carbs
2 portions veg
2 portions protein

Dinner:
2 portions carbs
1 portion protein
1 portion veg
1 portion dairy

Plus 2 portions of fruit per day. And a maximum of 2 potions of fat.

I was also given a list of examples of what a portion of each food type was.

An example of this would be:

Breakfast: 1 slice of toast, with one teaspoon of butter (1 fat portion) and a low fat/diet yogurt

Lunch: 2 boiled eggs and 100g of tuna in brine - Protein mixed with a side salad and 3 tablespoons of sweetcorn

Dinner: Pasta shapes (6 tablespoons) bolognaise sauce (4 tablespoons) with grated cheese (1 matchbox sized piece) and a side salad (small cereal bowl size)

wow that doesn't seem bad at all, i thought mine was good but this is even better if your allowed all that pasta i am only allowed 2tbsp on mine which works out about 8 shells its not worth having x

Thats more than I thought I'd be allowed. I think that has helped. I have tried the milk diet before and slimfast without success. It really affects my IBS so I have been really concerned that would be the only option.

Back