• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Compression Stockings

Laaux

Hi Everyone.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on 03.07.17 so I am now 12 days out. I have been wearing compression stockings the whole time I was in hospital and they sent me home with them too. Initially they didn't tell me how long to wear them for but I read the discharge leaflet (generic hospital one - not specific for bariatric surgery) and it said 2 weeks.
I am so close to 2 weeks but the stockings are really annoying me and are itchy. I am very active, don't sit down for long periods without getting up to walk - apart from in bed! Do you think I'd be okay to take them off now? X

x.Nicky.x

Hi Everyone.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on 03.07.17 so I am now 12 days out. I have been wearing compression stockings the whole time I was in hospital and they sent me home with them too. Initially they didn't tell me how long to wear them for but I read the discharge leaflet (generic hospital one - not specific for bariatric surgery) and it said 2 weeks.
I am so close to 2 weeks but the stockings are really annoying me and are itchy. I am very active, don't sit down for long periods without getting up to walk - apart from in bed! Do you think I'd be okay to take them off now? X

Have no idea bbe so wont comment but question, did u have to inject urself? Apperently i will need too for a few days after surgery?

X

Hi, I had stockings on after my sleeve on Tuesday. The staff were insistent that I got out of bed and had a shower so I asked them to take the stockings off. After the shower I couldn't bend enough to put them back on so left them off. One nurse said I'm supposed to wear them until I got home and another said it should be for 2 weeks but as I'd had them off for hours that it would be more dangerous to put them back on so they left them off. My op was at 6pm and I was walking about at 9 the next morning so I'm not worried. I wouldn't physically be able to get them on and off at the minute anyway x

Laaux

Have no idea bbe so wont comment but question, did u have to inject urself? Apperently i will need too for a few days after surgery?

X

Hi babe, no I didn't need to inject myself. I had the injections in the hospital but as soon as I left, I didn't require them anymore which I was so pleased about! I wouldn't have been able to do it to myself & although the needle doesn't hurt, it doesn't half sting & give you a bruise! X

Laaux

Hi, I had stockings on after my sleeve on Tuesday. The staff were insistent that I got out of bed and had a shower so I asked them to take the stockings off. After the shower I couldn't bend enough to put them back on so left them off. One nurse said I'm supposed to wear them until I got home and another said it should be for 2 weeks but as I'd had them off for hours that it would be more dangerous to put them back on so they left them off. My op was at 6pm and I was walking about at 9 the next morning so I'm not worried. I wouldn't physically be able to get them on and off at the minute anyway x

Thank you for your response! It does seem that it differs everywhere. I have researched on the net and it seems that as long as your active and moving every hour that you shouldn't need them which is good. I am a stickler for the rules so I have been a good patient and worn them 24/7 for the past almost 2 weeks but I feel I'm walking about a lot now and standing so I've taken them off & had a good shower. Need some normality back into my life!
How are you feeling after your op? X

I've had to inject clexaine for 5 days post op too, it is strange that they all follow different rules. You'd think there would be guidelines on best practise and everyone would just follow them.
I'm doing ok thanks, sore on my right side when I cough or sneeze, think it's muscle damage from the keyhole. I'm ashamed to admit it but think my stomach is so heavy it pulls on the damaged muscle so I have to support it when I'm moving in bed or getting up :(
I'm managing lots of strained soup and had a fruit smoothie today too. I felt awful before I had it, weak and awful headache but I felt revived after it. Not sure I can do fluids only for 2 weeks. How are you managing with everything? X

Laaux

I've had to inject clexaine for 5 days post op too, it is strange that they all follow different rules. You'd think there would be guidelines on best practise and everyone would just follow them.
I'm doing ok thanks, sore on my right side when I cough or sneeze, think it's muscle damage from the keyhole. I'm ashamed to admit it but think my stomach is so heavy it pulls on the damaged muscle so I have to support it when I'm moving in bed or getting up :(
I'm managing lots of strained soup and had a fruit smoothie today too. I felt awful before I had it, weak and awful headache but I felt revived after it. Not sure I can do fluids only for 2 weeks. How are you managing with everything? X

Aww I'm sorry to hear your still in some pain. I felt exactly the same my first week post op. Being honest I was utterly miserable, it does get easier honestly. Physically I'd say I'm 80% back to normal now but the whole process has been a struggle. I'm struggling mostly with getting enough fluids in. I make up 500ml of fortified milk in the morning and use this for my runny ready brek twice a day and I also have a full tin of strained weight watchers soup - in addition to that I'm managing at least a litre of plain water but I know I should be getting more. This is my main concern but I'm trying not to beat myself up too much.

I really fancy a fruit smoothie but unsure when I can have fruit - I may ring my dietician on Monday as I start puréed food then, yipee! Xx

ItsmePaula

The stocking thing does vary. I have mine for two weeks, with one more to go. My injections are for 7 days so I finish them Friday. I would consult your clinic. Before you do take them off. Just to be safe xx

SAM55

Airflow stockings in hospital and fragmin for 30 days. I was a real baby about doing them, not because of the needle but because the nurse in hospital was very specific about measuring the dose correctly and also getting the air out. I had reluctant district nurse for 2 weeks because I made such a fuss, and then one day found that they were injecting me with the full amount, and that particular nurse was wearing someone else's glasses because she had forgotten her own. She couldn't read the numbers! After that I did it myself but never got to the 30 days and I was walking a lot.

x.Nicky.x

I have fragmin twice a day for 7 days and stockings for 2 weeks.

My bf is putting my stockings on for me as they r so stiff and his injecting me as I am a chicken lol

Xx

I had to wear the stockings for six weeks and do fragmin injections for 4 weeks, it's funny how different it is in different places x
It also depends on your size/disability/movement - I suppose if someone is really big they will not be moving as much as someone on the lower end.