• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sweetest Feeling.. Walsall Manor Hospital 2017

Sweetest Feeling

Hello everyone,

Well I thought I had better post in here while it's quiet and say a few words..

I'm 45 and live in the West Midlands with my two youngest children. I was referred to Walsall Manor Hospital via my GP before Christmas 2016 and weighed 18stone 6lb as I have quite a few medical problems IBS, Diabetes Type2, SPD, Back Pain. I had a last minute phone call from Tracey Lowe offering me a cancelled appointment for Friday the 13th of January 2017 (good job I'm not superstitious) :rolleyes:

Appointments so far:

13/1/17 First appointment I saw Anna (nurse) and Dr Mirza (surgeon)

I saw Dr Mirza and Anna at my first appointment I was weighed and my height was recorded, my BMI was 40. Anna talked through my medical history and demonstrated the different types of surgery on little models. I left that appointment with leaflets explaining the types of surgery on offer and I was told to look on wl forums for further information and to do my research. Anna said at every appointment attended to have lost at least 1lb! Weight was 113kg / 17 stone 11lb

28/4/17 Second appointment I saw Mr Kendrick (psychologist)

At my second appointment with Mr Kendrick I wasn't given a target for weight loss by him. He said I kind of put a "spanner in the works" because of a medical condition I suffer with which causes chronic swelling which causes your weight to fluctuate.. I found him very easy to talk to. At the end of my appointment he said he thought I would do well having the surgery as my head was in the right place and my expectations were realistic. Weight was 111kg / 17 stone 6lb

3/5/17 Third appointment I saw Georgia Windrass (dietician) and Mr Hartland

I saw Georgia Windrass who is the dietician and was given a healthy eating leaflet and then saw Mr Hartland. The emphasis for me from them was to keep on maintaining the weight that I am at now. Mr Hartland agreed that RNY was best for me, then sent me to have bloods done. I was told to wait for a letter to be sent out inviting me to attend a two hour 'group session' held in another part of Walsall Manor, and that once that was done I would be given a surgery date. Weight was 109kg / 17 stone 2lb

29/6/17 is my next confirmed appointment to see Mr Mirza

Look forward to getting to know you all and enjoying the journey too.. :hugs::woohoo:

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Well I thought I had better post in here while it's quiet and say a few words..

I'm 45 and live in the West Midlands with my two youngest children. I was referred to Walsall Manor Hospital via my GP before Christmas 2016 and weighed 18stone 6lb as I have quite a few medical problems IBS, Diabetes Type2, SPD, Back Pain. I had a last minute phone call from Tracey Lowe offering me a cancelled appointment for Friday the 13th of January 2017 (good job I'm not superstitious) :rolleyes:

Appointments so far:

13/1/17 First appointment I saw Anna (nurse) and Dr Mirza (surgeon)

I saw Dr Mirza and Anna at my first appointment I was weighed and my height was recorded, my BMI was 40. Anna talked through my medical history and demonstrated the different types of surgery on little models. I left that appointment with leaflets explaining the types of surgery on offer and I was told to look on wl forums for further information and to do my research. Anna said at every appointment attended to have lost at least 1lb! Weight was 113kg / 17 stone 11lb

28/4/17 Second appointment I saw Mr Kendrick (psychologist)

At my second appointment with Mr Kendrick I wasn't given a target for weight loss by him. He said I kind of put a "spanner in the works" because of a medical condition I suffer with which causes chronic swelling which causes your weight to fluctuate.. I found him very easy to talk to. At the end of my appointment he said he thought I would do well having the surgery as my head was in the right place and my expectations were realistic. Weight was 111kg / 17 stone 6lb

3/5/17 Third appointment I saw Georgia Windrass (dietician) and Mr Hartland

I saw Georgia Windrass who is the dietician and was given a healthy eating leaflet and then saw Mr Hartland. The emphasis for me from them was to keep on maintaining the weight that I am at now. Mr Hartland agreed that RNY was best for me, then sent me to have bloods done. I was told to wait for a letter to be sent out inviting me to attend a two hour 'group session' held in another part of Walsall Manor, and that once that was done I would be given a surgery date. Weight was 109kg / 17 stone 2lb

29/6/17 is my next confirmed appointment to see Mr Mirza

Look forward to getting to know you all and enjoying the journey too.. :hugs::woohoo:
Hello and welcome to the forum, my name is Steve and I am a patient at the Manor waiting for the surgery date.

There are a few of us going through the process at Walsall as I'm sure you will find. Some right at the beginning of the process some like myself almost at the surgery stage and some post op. There are so many of us with the same problems like type 2 diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, sleep apnoea, arthritis and so on.

I suggest you read some of postings and like me kind of butt in on the conversations, '12th of April 'is a good one as is 'WL: Walsall manor' and 'just waiting for my date at Walsall Manor'. You will probably find more than me as I am new to forums, this is my first time on a forum. Hope you get to know us all and please ask anything I sure you will find us all willing to chat about anything.

Wow you are moving really quickly. I'm at roughly the same stage as you. I started my journey in January, saw Mr Kendrick in April and I'm going on 24th May. I was told a few weeks ago buy secretary that I was discussed at meeting and now need to see surgeon which should happen on 24th.
Looking forward to finding out what they say will happen next and if they have a time scale.

Good luck on your journey, we may cross paths at some point. Xxx

Thank you Stevie D and Kathryn81 for your comments :hugs:

Some days it seems like things are taking ages and other days it's scary how fast time goes when I'm counting off the days to the next appointment at Walsall

Have read a few forums Stevie D but a few of them appear to have been locked off sometime ago and can't see anymore specific just to Walsall Manor Hospital now and I think it's better to look at thread to do with Walsall PCT as the rules / guidelines seem to vary so much between places across the UK

Yes Kathryn81 we might all cross paths at some point soon :wee:

Wow you are moving really quickly. I'm at roughly the same stage as you. I started my journey in January, saw Mr Kendrick in April and I'm going on 24th May. I was told a few weeks ago buy secretary that I was discussed at meeting and now need to see surgeon which should happen on 24th.
Looking forward to finding out what they say will happen next and if they have a time scale.

Good luck on your journey, we may cross paths at some point. Xxx

Kathryn I'm there on 24th may too! What times your appointment?

Hello and welcome to the group. Good bunch on here to give lots of support. I'm under Mirza at the manor too and have come through the whole process. My sleeve is booked in for Monday next week. Just starting panic mode lol! Hope your journey continues swiftly Anita x

Yeah we could do I'll have my mum with me but that's not a problem. I'm sure we will spend enough time waiting room.

Back