• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Swimming

ashlie1985

Hi all I was wondering how long before you went swimming after your bypass ?? P.s I had open surgery don't know if that makes a difference x

in my after care booklett it says you can do light weights and swimming 4 weeks after surgery.

Last edited:
in my after care booklett it says you can do light weights and swimming 4 weeks after surgery, hope this helps as i thought everyone got an after care booklett.xxxxx

Great that, I wanted to go swimming last night, but my hubby said just leave it for another week. I was under the impression that you have to wait 6 weeks???? But hey, I back in the pool next week!!! My incisions were healed within a week, so I am fine. xx

My op was ok at first I was in so much pain I thought what had I done ! I'm still very achy with having open surgery and my gall bladder out I feel quite tired at the minute as my husband has just gone back to work and I have a 6 yr old and 1 yr old how did your op go ? X

I also had open surgery which included Gastric BP and gall bladder removal along with a hernia repair. I started swimming at 6 weeks and have been fine. I expect I could have started earlier than this but 6 weeks felt right for me. :)

Ohh bless no wonder you are tired, I am doing ok just moved onto mushy crunch food which is nice lol, scars healing ok but I am on antibiotics as I developed fluid in my lu.gs shortly after the op. Try and take things as easy as you can and happy healing!!

I was told at least not until 4 wks post op but I had keyhole surgery. I was told to put a waterproof dressing on any port sites that were open & not to stay in to long in the early days as the water could soften the scar tissue & cause it to open.

my friend left it 6 weeks but was told to be careful and not to push herself, just to build up over a couple of weeks.hope all goes well.xx

Im aiming for 4 weeks, healing well and will only do 15 mins to start with, mainly walking in the water to start with :) my gym suspended my membership for a month free so that was good.

I've not got the booklet, but I've got a degree in nursing..... and I'd always say to any surgical patient, if your site is clear, you've had no post op issues with your site and you feel physically comfortable then 4-6 weeks is a good guidelines.

Waterproof dressing, even over a well healing wound, and clean it well after the swim with either a wipe or a mild soapy wash.

Back