• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Swimming

Wireman

Due to several other illnesses I am mainly wheelchair bound so swimming is the only way I can realistically exercise after my sleeve. How long did people have to wait before you could use a swimming pool?

You need to wait until your six week check and then ask for your surgeons go ahead. Many nasty bugs in swimming pools and they don't go well with just healing incisions!

Thanks Yvessa The nasty bugs were what worried me thanks for the answer. Did not know how soon I would be seen again after the op.
My wife uses a flabelos vibration plate. She calls it her fat wobbler. Do not think I will be using that too soon after surgery, ouch at the thought.

For the first six weeks the most you should really be doing is walking, nothing more. After that you can start to build exercise in :)

Thanks again problem is my walking is extremely limited, but i will walk every step I can from when they get me out of bed.

We all do :) Just remember there's no deadline :) You have the rest of your life to get this right :)

I can only tell you my story on this :) I was much much heavier than you, sleep apnoea, early arthritis due to damage to my knees, couldn't sleep for more than four hours due to pain, always breathless and always ill.

2 years on, I am rarely ill, knee pain is only occasional in the right knee and I have no back pain and no sleep apnoea. I can walk endlessly and walk faster than my 11 year old daughter now; she asks me to slow down!

I now strength train as well and am stronger than I've ever been - the op gave me my life back :D

I was cleared for swimming as soon as m
my staples were removed - this was 10 day's post op. I didn't really have the energy to swim far but managed a little. I also got cleared for flying after 14 days so went out to Mallorca and went for a dip in the sea each day out there, the salt water really helped speed up the healing.

From about 4 week's out I had the energy to swim lengths and have found that backstroke is helping with my my bingo wings and kicking with a board in front of me is toning up bum and thunder thighs.

Hi my surgeon said 4 weeks to walk up and down the pool, but not to swim until 6 weeks. I also went on holiday at six and a half weeks post op but was told not to go in the sea. Every surgeon has a different opinion....

Back