• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Swimming

kurstywursty

How long after the op do you need to wait to go swimming, or take a bath

I am due to go on a girly weekend 22 days after surgery. We have a hot tub in the lodge and the use of a spa and swimming pool

I have not told the girls I'm going with about the op...will come up with a reason not to eat/drink, but they will know something is up if I'm not in the pool. I'm a real water baby (or whale more like) lol

Its beginning to sink in to me now, how radical the changes need to be. I had thought about the day to day changes, but now just considering 4 days away with 6 girls, when normally we have cocktails, loads of wine and a constant nibble feast of wee delicacies and crisps etc. we book out a lodge at Drumsynie once a year and the cars are stuffed full full of food, nibbles, cocktail ingredients ...so much so that we are all squashed in to the space which is left

My hubby and I had booked an all inclusive week in lanzaroti. That will be a culture shock as I generally Waddell about from one huge meal to the next....

This is huge!!! But in a way I feel relieved to be free of the food food food food for a while

Hi there,

Just a quick reply as I am just heading to bed :)

4 weeks for a bath and 6 weeks before you can go swimming.

Ginny x

I went out to Mallorca 15 days post op and went swimming in a pool and the sea - I checked with my GP and they looked at ny wounds and gave me the all clear as they'd sealed up well etc... Maybe check in with your team, everyone seems to have different answers including my surgeon who said no flying for 6 weeks...but I got my GP to approve. (I like to get my own way!)

Completely dependant on your wounds healing Hun, I started swimming again after 20 days and was absolutely fine and that was with one wound which was a bit of a bugger initially. X

Completely dependant on your wounds healing Hun, I started swimming again after 20 days and was absolutely fine and that was with one wound which was a bit of a bugger initially. X

Depends on your wounds. Check with your surgical team and gp. Generally 6 weeks for pools 4 weeks for baths. You need the wounds to be totally closed so no bacteria from the pool gets into you. It has been 12 weeks for me after my last op before they let me go swimming but I am not a great healer! Good luck and don't worry. Just stick to foods that don't make you dump! It is the drinks you have to be super careful with as avoid the sugary ones when you are on holiday. Your team will advise you on food the toughest is no alcohol when everyone else is drinking around you. But you can do it. Next year you will be able to drink on your annual trip. You can make mocktails. I did that at a hen don I went to post op. Just made it up without the alcohol and chose the skinny cranberry juice as did not want to irritate the pouch.

I guess you could make up a really crazy story to tell the girls....cant actually think of one thats appropriate to put on here though!!!
I must say im going to have different holidays, we go to america twice a year and the whole trip is about food! Its totally mad, so my next trip is november, i will be in walmart buying slimfast shakes.
Im sure you will still enjoy your weekend even with out the food and drink, you will be so wrapped up with you weight loss you wont even miss it!

Can you not just tell then it's totm?

And you know, once it's done I may not feel so secretive about it. Don't really know why I feel like this. I am generally an open book. But I'm wanting to keep this one close to my chest!

Do I feel like I have failed somehow having to resort to WLS?

Do I not want folks commenting on my having taken the easy way out, (though this is one of the hardest things I have ever done)

I really don't know why I am reluctant to tell folks.

I defo don't want my hubby's grown up kids to know,,,,I don't want them telling his ex wife. She is 10 years older than me, but gorgeous. She is a dancer, dances a few times a week and has a figure to die for.

I feel if I tell anyone, it will open the flood gates and I will be telling the whole world (which is my usual style). So will just play it by ear

KAR I get the USA food thing. It's gross actually. When I was over in June this year I had just been diagnosed with celiac and I had to have a very different holiday. Mostly steak and salads as surprisingly the Americans don't cater particularly well for gluten free. No Cheesecake Factory visit :) even their one wheat free menu item had gluten in it. I was gutted.

December is the last all inclusive holiday I will go on (had booked before I decided on WLS) what a waste of money now.....but so worth the sacrifice it as I hope I will be two or three sizes smaller

But hey. Holidays will be a thing of the past for me for a wee while till I pay for my op ;-) :)

Cheesecake Factory!!! The work of the devil himself!!! I managed three visits in a week in May when we were in vegas! I shall admittedly miss their cheesecake.
All inclusive will be a waste after this month, from now on its self catering!!
Where are you going December? I like getting away in winter especially if it's a bed winter, bet you have had a few if those in Scotland!!

And you know, once it's done I may not feel so secretive about it. Don't really know why I feel like this. I am generally an open book. But I'm wanting to keep this one close to my chest! Do I feel like I have failed somehow having to resort to WLS? Do I not want folks commenting on my having taken the easy way out, (though this is one of the hardest things I have ever done) I really don't know why I am reluctant to tell folks. I defo don't want my hubby's grown up kids to know,,,,I don't want them telling his ex wife. She is 10 years older than me, but gorgeous. She is a dancer, dances a few times a week and has a figure to die for. I feel if I tell anyone, it will open the flood gates and I will be telling the whole world (which is my usual style). So will just play it by ear

She maybe a dancer with a figure to die for..but she still ended up an ex-wife!!!

4 weeks before a bath?? I was in the shower the day after surgery at the hospital with the nurse nearby just in case.. In bath at home after a couple of days with clips still in... Just told to pat wounds dry completely and let some air to them before dressing...

Providers are so different aren't they... I really think that mine promotes getting back to normal life ASAP (other than eating lol)

I would imagine swimming and jacuzzi in a public area would depend on how quick your wounds heal... I know I wouldn't go until all the scabbing had disappeared as I wouldn't want to risk an infection...

I'm sure you will have a lovely time and I used to use the ole antibiotics chestnut when I didn't want to drink pre op... Bit cheesey but no one questions it...

The webs we weave to protect ourselves from awkward questions and sometimes uneducated opinions about our surgery xx

Back