• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The course of WLS via NHS

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
Hiya :) ok I've been refered to the dietician and have an appointment in November. But what happens then? I have no idea about the way the nhs does this. Thank you :) x

Hi Caren,
It varies around the country from what i can see, so don't take my example as gospel.
I'd been on prescribed Xenical for a year through my GP back in 2009 and then she referred me to a consultant Surgeon in September 2010 and I signed the consent forms there and then, I was told it could be 6 months before I was called for surgery.
In the October I had some bloods taken at the hospital as well as a lung Function test and a test for Sleep apnoea.
After 6 months I called the hospital admissions and was told that I was on the list but it had grown to be 7 or 8 months in June I called again and was told 8 to 9 months. I called again around the middle of August and was told I was 11th on the list and 3 weeks later I am now 6th on the list.
So in theory I should be going in soon although I'm expecting to get some sort of Diet (milk) first.

That's where I'm at with the NHS obviously if you went private then the whole process is a lot quicker

Thanks Thomas, so u didn't go to a dietitian at all? Ah well it looks like you should be in soon, good luck with that :) oh what is xenical? Sorry for being dim lol

Hi Caren, Xenical is a drug used to stop fat being absorbed (theoretically). It makes your motions very unpleasant if you eat too many fatty things & is designed to stop your body absorbing the fat & passes it through your system. I say theoretically as for me it made me extremely constipated so was taken off it. good news that you have a dietician appointment as it looks like you are being considered for surgery now. Good luck, hun x :)

Ooo thanks twinkle, I have hope lol. The doc gave me some pills like that but o didn't take them because I'm a bus driver and sit on a bus for about 5-6 hours at a time and don't want to poo myself lol yuk!

I did see a dietician before my GP put me on the Xenical at my request.
I went along once a week for 3 months to see a very nice lady who to be honest was so thin she made Posh Spice look like she needed WLS!

Her professional advice was....."You need to eat less and exercise more"....Funny that hadn't occured to me:sigh:

At the end of the 3 months I went back to my GP told her the story and she put me on the tablets. As Twinkle said the side effects or should I say underside effects are extremely unpleasant even if you try to eat normally. After a year although I'd lost 2 stone the weight loss stopped and then started to go back on.

Hi Xenical is a good weightloss tool you just have to be careful how you eat. I was on it for nearly two years and lost over 5 stone before I plateau'd. Stick to really low fat diet and read food labels carefully and you should be ok. If you are eating out don't take the tablet before you eat or you could spent the rest of the evening in the ladies. :D (been there, done that...boy was I sorry LOL)

Hahaha twinkle they've been on my bus too! Oh bless u gillys lol how awful, this is why I can't take them, don't know why he gave them to me really he knows I'm a bus driver lol. I hope wls is where this is heading because he kind of looks at me with disdain when I go on about a bypass, nice man though :) x

I did see a dietician before my GP put me on the Xenical at my request.
I went along once a week for 3 months to see a very nice lady who to be honest was so thin she made Posh Spice look like she needed WLS!

Her professional advice was....."You need to eat less and exercise more"....Funny that hadn't occured to me:sigh:

At the end of the 3 months I went back to my GP told her the story and she put me on the tablets. As Twinkle said the side effects or should I say underside effects are extremely unpleasant even if you try to eat normally. After a year although I'd lost 2 stone the weight loss stopped and then started to go back on.

hahaha no ****!!!

when i started on the road to wls i can honestly say i have done tried and taken every they asked me too i have seen 4 diffrent dietitians and every time i got the same from every one should eat smaller meals i have join weight watchers sliming world i have done all even down to having starving my self now i got funding im on the road to a better life

Oh bigun o bet that took years :( I so hope it don't take me that long, I've had enough now :( anyway, good luck with yours :) x

My hospital seems to be a bit different.
I was referred by my G.P but after I had tried other methods of weightloss. I had to attend a seminar and have my weight recorded. The first appointment was with the dietician and nurse, where we discussed the type of surgery and was given a target weightloss I had to meet before my next appointment which was with the consultant. In the meantime, I had to have a sleep test to rule out sleep apnoea. My appointment with the consultant was to agree the type of surgery, make sure I had met my given weight loss target and to be put on the waiting list for an endoscopy to make sure he'll not come across any unexpected problems during surgery. After my endoscopy, I'll be put on the list for surgery. During the whole process, my weight is checked, and if I gain any weight at all, I risk being moved back to the start of the whole process!
This has taken me 17 months to date, and I expect to wait around a further 9 months for my surgery, though I think my list is moving a little quicker this last couple of weeks.

well that seems pretty straight forward Jema, but it takes sooo long :(

Hi Caren,

My journey has been fairly protracted......

It took me almost 6 months from first seeing my GP about my weight and him deciding to apply for funding for me until we got confirmation that funding had been approved - and it took 3 appeals (but I think that's fairly common with my local PCT).

Once we had the confirmation of funding he referred me to a surgeon and within a month I had the paperwork for the psychology appointment and appointments through for the dietician and endocrinologist 2 1/2 months later. Once I had seen them I was sent an appointment to see the surgeon 4 weeks later (this is typical for my area apparently). I saw the psychologist about 3 weeks after the surgeon but she had expected to see me before the surgeon's appointment but only gave me 12 days notice of when she wanted to see me and I wasn't in the country so she had to wait.

Once I saw her it went to MDT after 4 weeks and I got the report about a week or two after that. They told me they were approving surgery but wanted me to have another psychologist appointment before they would put me on the waiting list for surgery. Then I had an 8 month wait for that appointment.

Finally in June this year I had the 2nd psychologist appointment and then it took almost 8 weeks for them to take my case back to MDT.

I got the letter confirming I was being added to the waiting list on 11th August, a few days later I got the letter for pre-op assessment clinic appointment on 12th August for an appointment on 22nd August and, when I spoke to central bookings office (admissions) that day, I was given my surgery date - September 23rd (5 weeks later!).

After taking more than 1 1/2 years to get to a waiting list for surgery, which seems to be about average from what I've read about other people's journeys, it's going to take just 7 weeks from going on the waiting list for surgery to going into hospital for my operation!!

Good luck with your journey,

Tatiana

Back