• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Hospital Group - Advice Please ?

GuRlyGiRL

Live Laugh Love
Hello everyone,

I am looking into having gastric band and I have done my research in The Hospital Group and The WLS Group. I havent heard many positive stories from The Hospital Group and wanted to hear from anyone who has had their operation with them?

Hey,

I was looking at private and i heard some bad storties about the hosiptal group, i looked at nu age and they seem good. bupa is really pricey and you dont seem to get alot for your money band infills etc. there loads of people on here that have went private so im sure you will find some helpful advise. good luck. xxx

Hiya, thanks for your reply. Its so confussing, I dont know what hospital to use. I keep getting mixed comments about THG??. Im sure I will make up my mind once I have spoken to the consultant.

Hi

Apart form an intial enquiry to Hospital Group (ruled them out though) I have no experience of them it sounds like you are aware that 'some' people have had a bad experience with them. More recently though there have been more positive stories - hopefully they have got their act together.

I had my band fitted with WLS Group and everything went really well and their aftercare for me has been fantastic.

Its a very personal choice but I would advise you to research the surgeons at the hospitals near you and the clinics near to you as well. Also look at the aftercare packages on offer as you will do doubt need a number of fills and access to a dietician along the way.

Good luck with your choice! x

Had my band done with the hospital group. Was ok and treated well apart from doctor turning up for op very late. Not been so great since op but don't think that's down to hospital group
Hope this helps

If you do a site search for THG and the hospital group you should find lots of first hand stories from people's experiences. Also, search for WGA and why go abroad as this was their old package which most people seemed to use about 1-2years ago (which I think has been discontinued). Around then, there were a lot of negative stories, particularly about being sent down to the discharge lounge by 7am the day after surgery (not so much fun if you were late on the list for the op itself) and lack of aftercare/having to chase follow up appointments.

It does seem that they have sorted some of these issues, as I haven't seen any negative posts for a while, and certainly not the volume we were getting.

WLS group has always had good stories on here, particularly for their aftercare, I can only recall one negative one!

i agree with Shel the wls group seems to be great especially with the after care, Thg isnt so good with after care for banding x

I went with Spire and it has been great up to now. 18 months after care with three fills and three consultant appointments. they dont mind if all of these things are not taken in 18 months - they will just carry them over until you use them. Operation was a doddle and almost every week I have been called by the nurse or dietician. Bit of a mix up today with my band fill - no-one had informed the radiologist so it couldnt happen at the time I was there. I could have gone back later but i couldnt have all that time off from work. first blip and they were very apologetic - phoned me three times since to apologise.
At the end of the day I think you will hear good and bad stories about each provider so you just have to take your pick
Good luck with your choice
love jo XX ;)

Thank you all so much for your advice. I spoke to Steve at the WLS Group tonight and he was very helpful. Its very exciting, I know its a change of life style and the road ahead is going to be hard but I am looking forward to it. The only thing is that my husband is not very supportive in my decision :(

Hi hun

Im sorry your hubby is not being supportive, has he told you why? maybe he is worried about you x

Hi,

Just thought I would let you know that I had my band fitted with THG 29th July this year and I have nothing but praise for them. My aftercare has been excellent too. x

I had one with THG too nearly 18 mths ago and I've had no probs although I only paid for the basic package with no aftercare so can't complain I didn't get any. It is true that they discharge you at 7am tho!

Hi hun

Im sorry your hubby is not being supportive, has he told you why? maybe he is worried about you x

Hi Mazza,

He thinks that I dont "try" hard enough and stick to diets long enough. The thing is I am so fed up with loosing a few pounds on a slimming club/diets and then eat something which isnt on the diet and pick up my weight again. I just look at cake and I gain 5lbs. Its also the money guilt trip, that we wont be getting a holiday next year if I go ahead with my op :(

Hi Mazza,

He thinks that I dont "try" hard enough and stick to diets long enough. The thing is I am so fed up with loosing a few pounds on a slimming club/diets and then eat something which isnt on the diet and pick up my weight again. I just look at cake and I gain 5lbs. Its also the money guilt trip, that we wont be getting a holiday next year if I go ahead with my op :(

Oh dear :sigh: I understand how you feel and hopefully he will come round if he realises how much you want this. Good luck x

Thanks Mazza, I secretly also think that he is scared once I get rid of the extra weight that I will get my confidence back. Yes as you say Im sure he will come round to it..it just takes him awhile xxx

hi gurly girl
i had mine done with the hospital group i think they were brill ,hospital very basic rooms but elecrtric bed big tv lol joke with us wls girls ,the staff starting from the driver who picked me up were lovely do anything for me. Dr Super didnt find very friendly but come on he wasnt going to have tea and cake with me ,
my op was early which was great and was home next day before 11,
there always someone on the phone if your worried about anything and very surpporting
i was so please with them im going back with them for weightloss surgery when i lose all my weight and having my neck done with them next year
at the end of the day people have different storys some are good some are bad but like i said i think they were brill with me
good luck kerry

Thanks Kerry for your experience, im just SO confussed as to what company go with. The other decision is about going abroad, which is slightly cheaper?

hope your hubby comes round hun, everything is so much harder on your own.
I had my bypass with WLS group in July and i have not had any complaints at al, i have been delighted with the service and the outcome. I found that the wls group were just about the only company who gave a price straight away and also gave you the name of each surgeon at each hospital that they operated from
xxx

Thanks Mona, we spoke about it this morning again (he is still not supportive). He said after the op, he never wants to hear me talk about diets again. But thats what woman do best is talk about diets and food !! Ive gone through through every diet you can think of haha.

lol well that sounds a bit more promising from him, at least he said AFTER THE OP!

Back