• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Hospital Group

Has anyone had a gastric band recently with THG?

In 2004 I had a gastric balloon with them and was very happy with their service and so decided to book a consultation with them for a band which is on friday. However, I have been scouring the internet for stories about banding and quite a few people are reporting that they have turned into a 'take your money, do the op and that's it' organisation. I could have the op done at my local Spire hospital and it would cost the same but only has 1 fill included and 6 months aftercare but THG are offering 2 years aftercare. Of course, it counts for nothing if they don't actually provide the service - has anyone got any recent experiences?

Hi Chopster - Welcome to the forum hun x

I had a gastric band with The Hospital Group last October.

I have nothing but good to say about the service I have received from them.

The surgeon (Mr Paul Super) I did`nt know and had never heard of so I googled him to find out his qualifications and working record.
I was quite satisfied with what I found.
I also found a fair number of negative statements re: the hospital from previous years...but have found they have recovered from the bad press and are giving as good a service as you would find at any hospital in the private sector.

Surgeon was efficient and proficient. The nursing staff were helpful, friendly and efficient. I had a very positive stay at the hospital.

Since surgery, when I left I was given a letter telling me when my follow-up appointment with the dietician would be. I have been to all my appointments and found them useful; and good at helping me stay on track.

Six to eight weeks following surgery I had my first fill, which was done at another local hospital, to check everything was in order and working as it should be.

I have had two other fills since and now feel I am at my optimum.

I still have appointments with the dietician, mostly done over the phone, by my instigation - as its quite a distance and timely as well as costly to go too often now.

I have been happy to continue with this arrangement and know anytime I request a physical appointment as well as any further fills - this will be arranged and the letters telling me of this are sent in plenty of time to give me notice.

Hope this helps hun x

Love Kat x

Hi Chopster

I had a band fitted 10th March this year with THG and am thrilled with all aspects. I had my first fill last sat and can't fault the care I received. My surgeon was Mr Super too and found him to be one of the best!

Hope this eases your concerns.
Jo ;)

good luck with your appointment x

Hi there.

I considered THG when i was looking but also read some real bad reviews so i decided to go with WLS Group as they cost the same and i read zero bad reviews.
Its a lot of money to pay and aftercare is paramount to the sucess of your band.
You do what feels right for you.

Thanks for the advice, good to see both sides. I have also had a look at WLS Group but I would have to have the actual op in Manchester as that is the nearest.

I was more than happy with the service I received with THG in 2004 so am hoping they are still the same. I have a list of questions to ask and if they don't come up to scratch with them I will book a consulation with WLS Group. My appointment is with Dr Sigurdsson and I have watched him perform the surgery on THG website and he seems to know what he is doing, no shaky hands :8855:

Mr Sigurdssen did my band with the Hospital Group and 2 years on no probs so far. I didn't pay for aftercare so cannot complain I havent recieved any, I pay for my fills/defills when I need one. My hospital stay was ok, efficient, in and out within 24 hours Dr Sigurdsen abrupt but efficient, nurses nice, but as I say was left to it after that due to no aftercare but with the help of this site and its support I managed very well and now go to a company about half an hour away for my fills.

Mr Sigurdssen did my band with the Hospital Group and 2 years on no probs so far. I didn't pay for aftercare so cannot complain I havent recieved any, I pay for my fills/defills when I need one. My hospital stay was ok, efficient, in and out within 24 hours Dr Sigurdsen abrupt but efficient, nurses nice, but as I say was left to it after that due to no aftercare but with the help of this site and its support I managed very well and now go to a company about half an hour away for my fills.

I found Mr Sigurrdson incredibly sexy .... and told him so when he was fondling me on the table at my consultation :D

He doesn't live far from me, pity he's married. :whistle:

Has anyone had a gastric band recently with THG?

In 2004 I had a gastric balloon with them and was very happy with their service and so decided to book a consultation with them for a band which is on friday. However, I have been scouring the internet for stories about banding and quite a few people are reporting that they have turned into a 'take your money, do the op and that's it' organisation. I could have the op done at my local Spire hospital and it would cost the same but only has 1 fill included and 6 months aftercare but THG are offering 2 years aftercare. Of course, it counts for nothing if they don't actually provide the service - has anyone got any recent experiences?
hi, I had surgery at the Hospital group ten days ago, I certainly felt like i was part of a production line. I went in as planned and they cancelled my op late in the afternoon because Mr Li was called away to an emergency. I had to wait until almost 6pm the next day. When I had the GB op my wound bled, the surgeon, Alan Li, came back to see me and re-glued the wound. But I bled constantly all night, so much so I had my bed changed 5 times and my nighty 6 times. The lovely nurse who was on (kay i think) looked after me but by 4 am when I hadnt slept and was still bleeding she said she was going to call the surgeon. He came to see me at almost 9am. He re- glued again and told me I could go home! I was totally drained. I was given a bag with some bits and pieces in, including some syringes for which I had to inject (blood thinner) for 5 days. Nobody had explained this to me, I was just given the bag and told I had to do it. I was quite worried about leaving in case I bled again. I was in a lot of pain over the first couple of days, I rang the coordinator early in the morning and she told me the nurse would ring me, I waited until 1pm then contacted them again, I eventually spoke to the nurse about 3pm :-( I was told the nurse would contact me the following morning and again that didnt happen so I called them. I appreciate that due to unforseen circumstances the op was delayed for me and other people which obviously caused a back log for other patients due in, so the THG were extremely busy, I just hope the after care goes ok and all is well with my band. Good luck with your op and hope wherever you chose to go it all goes smoothly for you :)

Last edited:
My operation with THG was booked for February with Mr. Siggy. Following our meeting I so wanted him to do my op, initially I was hunting for Mr. Super as he's GORGEOUS and well renowned in the field of band fitting. Oh and Dolan Park is lush! Unfortunately i read too much bad stuff about THG they even instigated shutting down forums etc. and I didn't care much for Sally Price (the sales rep) and her bullish tone.

So I went with Surgicare (my surgeon is a lovely man :D, I want to marry him - not sexy, but just so damned lovely) having played them and THG off against each other and got a few £'s off the price. :D Surgicare offer exactly the same service as THG including 2yrs aftercare. My dietician is excellent and my nurse is adorable.

I have been to Dolan Park a few times for a band fill as now THG own Surgicare. However they keep their patients separate. So you can still 'go' with Surgicare as it's a different brand and still has different surgeons etc. AFAIK.

hi, I had surgery at the Hospital group ten days ago, I certainly felt like i was part of a production line. I went in as planned and they cancelled my op late in the afternoon. I then had to wait until almost 6pm the next day. When I had the GB op my wound bled, the surgeon, Alan Li, came back to see me and re-glued the wound. But I bled constantly all night, so much so I had my bed changed 5 times and my nighty 6 times. The lovely nurse who was on (kay i think) looked after me but by 4 am when I hadnt slept and was still bleeding she said she was going to call the surgeon. He came to see me at almost 9am. He re- glued again and told me I could go home! I was totally drained. I was given a bag with some bits and pieces in, including some syringes for which I had to inject (blood thinner) for 5 days. Nobody had explained this to me, I was just given the bag and told I had to do it. I was quite worried about leaving in case I bled again. I was in a lot of pain over the first couple of days, I rang the coordinator early in the morning and she told me the nurse would ring me, I waited until 1pm then contacted them again, I eventually spoke to the nurse about 3pm :-( I was told the nurse would contact me the following morning and again that didnt happen so I called them. I havent had any contact from anyone in over a week.So overall I'm not that impressed to date. I just hope the after care for the next 2 yrs is better. They have made me feel like a money spinner and not a person!

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug99:

I'm surprised they gave you CLexane and didn't tell you how to administer it. I assume they gave you fast tabs also? How terrible!
Worse still they give you blood thinner then you're constantly bleeding! Strange!!!

If you need any support of advice PM me or post on this forum babe. xxxx

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug99:

I'm surprised they gave you CLexane and didn't tell you how to administer it. I assume they gave you fast tabs also? How terrible!
Worse still they give you blood thinner then you're constantly bleeding! Strange!!!

If you need any support of advice PM me or post on this forum babe. xxxx
I know, all I saw was a red bag on the window sill I asked what it was, they told me it was clexane and that I had to self inject (which I couldnt do :-( sticking needles into myself was a no no lol, so my other half did it for me, albeit with an evil glint in his eye! lol) But seriously, I was really worried about bleeding when I came home, the night after the op was pretty scarey, I was on my own and didnt ring my partner as I didnt want to worry him. The nice nurse who was on nights actually said she may see me the next night, probably thinking they would keep me in. I think I may have just been unlucky, but I wasnt too chuffed about being allowed home so early in the day when I felt so bad. Im pleased to say I am feeling pretty good now and sticking to all the rules to get the best results, this site has been a real help, kind words from people like yourself really makes you feel like your not alone and your not 'different', for that im grateful :)

mr li,has an awful lot of emergencies.my first consultation,was cancelled with him,then my first post op appointment,was cancelled with him as well.hopefully my appointment next week,will go ahead.
however,i couldn't fault him,as a surgeon.i had no problems at all.i was home the next day & out shopping 2 days after that.brilliant!
hope everything goes well,for you.
tracy x

I know, all I saw was a red bag on the window sill I asked what it was, they told me it was clexane and that I had to self inject (which I couldnt do :-( sticking needles into myself was a no no lol, so my other half did it for me, albeit with an evil glint in his eye! lol) But seriously, I was really worried about bleeding when I came home, the night after the op was pretty scarey, I was on my own and didnt ring my partner as I didnt want to worry him. The nice nurse who was on nights actually said she may see me the next night, probably thinking they would keep me in. I think I may have just been unlucky, but I wasnt too chuffed about being allowed home so early in the day when I felt so bad. Im pleased to say I am feeling pretty good now and sticking to all the rules to get the best results, this site has been a real help, kind words from people like yourself really makes you feel like your not alone and your not 'different', for that im grateful :)
PS what are fast tabs?

PS what are fast tabs?

Fast tabs are calcium carbonate base tablets which are given to WLS patients to counter acid production in the stomach following surgery. They usually give you a months supply, some people here are on them for life. I had 1 months supply I think (can't remember). Mine were orange flavoured, some have lemon flavour.

Hi all i had my GB fitted by Dr hewin at the hospital group and dolan park on 29th january 2011. I have to say all the care i have recieved so far has gone without a hitch. my patient care co-ordinator dietician and fill nurse are all fab friendly and so on the ball with advice. my surgery went without a hitch i didn't even need pain relief post op was discharged at 7 am the next morning no dressings no clexane no fast tab or anything. so i can't fault a think really. every email is answered promptly and all consultations have gone well. My mum has even booked in to have GB with them in may she's with mr siggurdson and he was very nice and professional at the consultation and put her mind at rest. she is having a full pre op check at little aston prior to her surgery as bmi is 50+ so again all well prepared and professional.

Fast tabs disperse on the tongue omeprazole are capsules can we take capsules?? not sure on that one never had to take any of these meds :)

I had my band fitted at Dolan park (THG) by Mr Sigurdsson.
Everything went smoothly, and so far I have no complaints. Sometimes things do go wrong even in the best hospitals, that's life I suppose. x

Back