• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Pill :(

Daisyhappy!

Well hiya banders :)
Im getting rather frustrated now, had my first fill a few weeks ago and loved it- finally felt i had a band!
Now Im back to no restriction whatsoever AND back on the pill and feel a little bit out of control with food. This was a problem for me with the pill before and actually lead to about three stone gain that i still have. I know the pill doesn't put the food in your mouth, but it makes me ravenous :(
Im really really tempted coming off it now, have my next fill 20th April and can't wait!
Has anyone else had similar experiences with the pill? Im sure it's not a placebo, i genuinely feel it!

Yep I'm the same! I have taken both the pill and the mini pill and it has made me gain weight. Two years ago I gained 2stone within 4months with the mini pill. In the end I decided non-hormonal contraception was the way to go, so I got a coil and haven't looked back. I'm still losing the weight I gained but hopefully that will be gone within the next six month.
My advice get a coil! Its painful when you get it put in but if you have been through child birth I'm sure it will a walk in the park x

Oh the relief to hear Im not alone! I know a few girls who are absolutely fine with the pill but i really am not, even emotionally i feet like i have constant pmt! My crazy cravings for chocolate are also bizarre because Im a much more savory person usually.
Thank you i will definitely look into the coil now because i think the sooner i come off this pill the better!x

A lot of people get increased hunger with progesterone only pills or injection - have you thought about an Mirena coil? Keeps the hormones just in your womb rather than round your whole body so minimal side effects unlike the oral pill.
Good luck xx

My doctor told me she put on over two stones with the mirena coil; I didn't though and and I had mine just before my band op.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

flutterby1966 said:
My doctor told me she put on over two stones with the mirena coil; I didn't though and and I had mine just before my band op.

Sorry too eager to press send button. About the feeling of restriction disappearing - I am sometimes like that, even though I don't have proper totm, I do still have a cycle whereby my body seems to go through the same physical and emotional effects as I would have done per coil. For example the water retention internally can affect the feeling of tightness of the band and I do get e few days of the munchies. It did take me a few months to recognise this cycle, but it corresponds with my weight loss graph so I can predict sts weeks. don't let it get you down daisy xxx

I have the mirena coil. It's never made me more hungry. I was greedy indeedy long before the coil. I think the copper coil is horrific. Causes me horrible totm. But the mirena is brilliant. Always avoided the pill. Good luck :D

Have a chat with your doctor, he/she may be able to suggest an alternative pill - one that wont give you these side effects.

I took the mini pill for a few years before my hysterectomy and that suited me. The contraceptive injection resulted in high blood pressure and a 3 stone weight gain in 3 months, so I wouldnt reccomend that!

The coil suits some but causes problems for others :confused: xx

Copper coil has no hormones at all, Mirena has steady release of progesterone so you have little or no bleeding each month - far easier to fit than a copper one!
x

Actually i think i may just try condoms for six months or so, having had a baby, the pill, the band and the pill again i think maybe my body just needs a rest.
I had the same experience with the injection Maz so won't be going down that route either!
Thanks for all the replies :)

I only use condoms my oh is awesome about it as he really could see how miserable the pills made me and believed me I tried a few. Xxx

Yeah mis my oh is happy as Larry to use them too because the pill absolutely does not agree with me, only one being weight.
Since being back on it -have stopped now- we've only gotten jiggy a handful of times i think it affects my sex drive too!
How are you doing love i haven't chatted to you in ages.

Doing great. Just came back from a week away. My forth fill is defo the one!!! Lol eating of a side plate never finish my meals anymore. It's awesome weight loss is slow but I think my body is holding onto every grams :p

I cant take the pill, docs said I was too heavy so it wouldnt be effective? Mini pill... well I had my second child when I was taking that! I got the implant in my arm for three years and it makes my periods heavier, longer, more frequent and more painful... Then I tried the coil and it must have moved, about 6 months after it was put in I got pains (down there) and it got worse as the day went on. By lunch time I couldn't sit it hurt, couldn't stand, couldn't walk far, agony... Got it took out that afternoon almost went to A&E it was that bad. They said maybe it was an infection, but she took swabs and it all came back clear so it must have moved. Then i ended up pregnant again... *sigh* I got the implant back in my arm after that, it makes my periods awful but it stops me from getting pregnant so its the best option for me.

Having said that, my experience with the coil is very very rare I only know one other person who had the coil move and she ended up having to get a hysterctomy becuase the doctor insisted there was nothing wrong and the coil moved in her so much that it ended up ripping her womb. The chance really are very very low (oh gosh I probably shouldn't have written about that but then again I guess people need to know all the risks before they get anything...) There are risks with everything of course so as long as you pay attention to any pains you get after the coil is put in then there should never be a problem, millions of women get no side effects what so ever. Mine did no permanent damage i was just sore for a few days because it was taken out in plenty of time it couldn't move too far.

There are lots of options out there so it really is worth discussing with your doctor to fine the right option for you.

Back