• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

the sleeve

kinstarvin

hi just joined the site hoping to have a gastric sleeve done in the next 2 months anyone had it done and offer any advice ta

I had a sleeve in feb 2012 and a series of complications. There's a thread on here about it. Not trying to scare you! I have problems with eating now which I put down to the complica(ions - I had to remain total nil by mouth for 7 months with a feeding tube and have only been eating for 4months. They think the difficulties I'm experiencing now are the initial ones I should have experienced 9 months ago just experiencing a lag in time bc of the nil by mouth thing.

On flip side of coin I'm down from 26st7lb to 11st 1lb and have a better quality of life so its served its purpose. One bit of advice - ask any questions you may have no matter how insignificant they may seem at the time. Before surgery, and after surgery. Once the go aheads given your riding a run away train and its easy to get lost in the moment :)

I had me sleeve done on the 14th January 2013 a week ago :)
So far so good! On fluids so nothing to report apart from I am sick of milk :)
I would agree with Scooter once the funding is there it all happens quickly. My 1st appointment was Sept 28th 2012.
Good Luck and do your research! :)

KinStarvin, there are hundreds of threads on here from people who have had the sleeve me included. Scooters complications shouldn't be ignored but there is the possibility of complications with ALL surgery so don't let that put you off. I had no complications at all and have now lost about 10stone since my surgery in September 2011. I would suggest you either go to the home page on this forum and go to the Sleeve section and read through some of the thousands of posts on there about the Sleeve, you can alos do a search for sleeve using the search button in the green bar at the top. Pretty much every question you can think of is in here somewhere :)

Good luck with your hunt

I was sleeved on 30th November 2011. I have had NO complications, no problems and have lost all the weight I wanted to (just over 5 stone). I am 9st 3 now and in the best of places, health wise, looks wise, and mindset wise. I would thoroughly recommend it.

9st 2 today, a bit worried that it's getting too low! Will keep you posted on losing too much! But I think it's just stress. Got a houseful of grandchildren staying including one ill one which isn't easy at my time of life!

Hi
Had mine Dec 2011 and the weight loss is amazing. Its the biggest decision i ever made and luckily its working well. I now know what confidence feels like and i like it a lot.:D

Kim

Kim..

In what way has your confidence improved? At times I can be incredibly confident but am definitely not there atm.

Getting the sleeve on 25th Feb

I agree with Kim, my confidence is so high at the moment. When I weighed 29 stone I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything, all thoughts were negative. I used to think if I lost my job then who would employ a 54 year old who's too big to tie up his own shoe laces. Now I'm not only full of energy but I go to the theatre the cinema (first time in 25 years!) happy to walk down the streets not thinking that everybody is looking/talking about the "fat bloke" over the road. It does make a big change in the way you think about almost everything.

before my surgery i stopped going out because if idiots comments, im now only 7lb off my goal weight and my life has changed massively! I have so much more confidence now and i'm out all the time, its the best thing ive ever done for myself :) x

So that does improve then Brian? I am so paranoid about going out and life can't go on like this.

Obviously I can only comment on what it's done for me, and I would have had the surgery even if confidence wasn't improved. To be honest It never crossed my mind that confidence would improve it's not something that my surgeon had mentioned and I don't remember reading about it on here either. I honestly thought it had gone forever, but once you start loosing the weight you start feeling good about yourself again and you'll be amazed at what you can do :)

Although I have had ups and downs I have to say Steve "the Sleeve" is the best thing I have ever done. Feel so much better in myself and have so much more energy.

I had my Sleeve in November 2011..... 7 stone gone and now 1lb from target - no complications - love my Sleeve ;) x x

Back