• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The start of my story...

Leelin

Hi,
I’ve been referred to St George's Hospital for WLS. I was first referred for surgery by my GP at the beginning of 2013, at first I was rejected because I did not fit the criteria. I was called a few months later and was told that the criteria had changed and I was now eligible for WLS. I was first seen my DR Reddy in 2013 followed by the dietician a few weeks later. They both said that I was a good candidate for the surgery, and the dietician didn't think it necessary for me to have a psych appointment. I received a letter later on saying that I needed to go on Orlistat for 3 months (Not the pleasantest experience). I never heard anything for a year after that. As far as I was aware I had done everything I needed to do and was just waiting for surgery. I received a letter last year October 2013 to see another Doctor at St George's. He was new and didn't know what was going on. He was treating this appointment as it was my first appointment for WLS. I told him I had been through all this with DR Reddy and been to the dietician and I thought that this appointment was to talk to me about my surgery. He seemed a bit confused as to why I was there at all. He then spoke to a colleague who suggested that there must have been some mistake and I must have been called in by error. I wrote a letter to the surgery explaining my situation as I couldn't get hold of anyone that I could talk to on the phone. Mid December 2014 I received 2 more letters. One to see a Bariatric Surgeon and another to see the dietician accompanied by the questionnaire I had already completed before. I called the surgery and they managed to put me through to the lady who handles all the appointments and she said there had been a change in their system and since I hadn't seen one of the surgeons in a year - I had to start the process again... So I am at the beginning yet again.
I saw one of the Bariatric surgeons on the 14th January 2015. I didn't catch him name, but he made me feel more confident that this time I might actually get the surgery done within 6 month...I am due to see the dietician on Friday 6th Feb.
I'm really hoping that this time it will happen. I’m excited and ready to get going with this.
Been readying a lot of Blogs and books on WLS stories. I love readying other people’s stories and experiences and can’t wait to have my own story!

Well this time keep asking them about what is happening next and for an aprox time scale.

I have a feeling that after the dietitian app your case will go on mdt for discussion. If thats the case ask for a time scale..

And after that given time passes if you dont hear from the hospital chase the things up (call the bariatric coordinator or someone from bariatric team). Dont let them loose you in the system again!

Good luck ;)

Can you only put a profile picture up once you've done 20 posts?

Good luck Leelin. It took me 2 and a half years to work my way through the system but I had a sleeve in November and have lost 3 stone. Feeling fantastic - well worth the wait! What surgery are you hoping to go for?

Thanks Ladies - I'm going for the Gastric Bypass.

Hi Leelin - hope this time it works out for you - my referral got lost for a while and it's so frustrating. You don't know what to do! Finger crossed that this is your year :)

Hi Leelin - hope this time it works out for you - my referral got lost for a while and it's so frustrating. You don't know what to do! Finger crossed that this is your year :)

Thanks Debs!
I really hope 2015 is the year! I don't think my emotions would cope. ;)

Yay! Appointment with Dietician today.... :)

Feeling a little disappointed... Have to wait another 2 months for a dietitian review. She wants me to eat carbs. Well 3 balanced meals a day. I wasn't eating carbs and often skipped breakfast or lunch. Oh well... Off to go grab some carbs! :)

Feeling a little disappointed... Have to wait another 2 months for a dietitian review. She wants me to eat carbs. Well 3 balanced meals a day. I wasn't eating carbs and often skipped breakfast or lunch. Oh well... Off to go grab some carbs! :)

Sorry to hear you are disappointed. I suppose they want to make sure we adopt health eating habits. I know it can be frustrating but don't give up.

Hope your next 2 months fly by and your next visit brings the outcome you wish - good luck :)

Back