• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

theReality of a bypass & its effects on your body! bad & good please

sicknote

Hi everyone,

I'v done my research into bypass but the more you read the more i tend to attach an air of normaility to the potential risks of suregery and after, you see these are just dictated script and no matter what you click on you see the same stuff just re written again and again, there's no reality to the text.

Please could you tell me and all pre-opper's what life is really like post surgery, everything from in one end and out the other, i think it would benefit us grately to get the real side effects walts & all from real people x My doctor tried to scare me off wls by saying you'l be swapping one problem for another. i'v made my mind up that i'm having a bypass but would like to be aware of the genuine side effects on a day to day basis xx

Many Thanks and hope you can help xx

Hi sicknote. I've seen some scarey stuff (written by post oppers). I don't know if you'd want to see it or not ... ? I don't want to scare anyone who's about to have it done / just had it done. I could PM you it if you like. But make sure you definaltey want to see it first ...it's a very small minority of course aswell. You have to bear that in mind. You might have already seen it aswell. If you've already got a date then I wouldnt look at it.

I'm bemused that 29 people have viewed this thread already but not one person wanted/or brave enough to give me any information????? I'm not being narky just think it's strange that people on a weight loss surgery forum don't want to share their experiance's! x

Hello xx
I think i was typing my message the same time you typed yours x please show me xxxxxxxxx I would be most Gratefull i'm sure i won't be grossed out as i have been in several operating theater's lol x thank you xx

Thank you i need to be able to tell the surgeon all of the consiquences of gastric bypass as at the moment i'v only got the basics x not only that but for my own piece of mind, if i know what can happen it won't be so bad in my head if it does happen if you get my drift xxx Thanks undecided xxxxxxxxx

Most of us here have kept diaries, mine is in the diary section. It would be so hard to sum up all the experiences in one post, which is probably why no-one has tried!

A normal day for me now, well the parts changed by my bypass/ weight loss -

- wake up feeling refreshed as I sleep much better and no longer snore.

- I eat breakfast now, which I rarely did pre-op.

- I take my Multi-vitamins and lanzaprazole, daily for life. Every 3 months I have a b12 injection too.

- my meals are smaller, but I don't need to cook a different meal for me than the family, my portions are slightly smaller than my 10 year old son. You don't drink with meals any more.

- I'm much more likely to get out with hubby and the kids, I have more energy and self confidence. I can eat out easily.

- hubby is more likely to get a bit of lovin' due to more energy and confidence.

The side effects/complications for me have been chronic malabsorption, which means I have to eat a high fat high calorie diet to prevent further weight loss. I also have reactive hypoglycaemia which causes random blood sugar drops, I carry glucogel which quickly reverses them. These are both rare side effects. I also dump if I eat too much sugar.

Lastly, I get to enjoy my gorgeous son, Charlie. We tried to conceive pre-op and couldn't, but fell pregnant 8 months post op.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I think sicknote that when you think you have found every bit of info you can (just worded differently or from different sources), and even the scarey stuff doesn't scare you, then you know you are ready.

I found 2 things that were too scarey for me to deal with at the moment. It's just unfortunate I didnt find them earlier (well one was just an expereince someone had so it was just luck I found that one).

The other was the addiction transfer stuff. I don't know how I didnt find this. I suppose you don't unless you know to look up the term addiction transfer, or someone happens to mention it. Obviousply "I now drink 2 bottles of vodka a day" doesnt tend to come up much on forums. lol

I would suggest looking at some of the articles in the media section on here aswell. Newspapers / magazines etc. Think that's what the section was called anyway ! Some of the most interesting things I found were the comments posted by other people.

Of course you have to balance everything up. For anything negative you read, remember all the positive stories ! :)

Your doctor sounded like he at least had done some reasearch. I discussed the lapband, then mentioned the bypass aswell. She didnt know what it was, and asked me what I wanted to write in the referral letter. lol

hi sicknote, i had my bypass eight weeks ago, and can honstly say i had no side effects from the surgery, a felt a little sore naturally, but was fine. i did however have problems with my medication, lanzaprozole no sooner had i took the tablet i was poorly with my bowels, couldnt eat anything with out having to dash to the toilet, thankfully after speaking to the dietician she changed it straight away for me, she said this only affects a few people . im now perfectly ok.

all the best barbara xx

hiya hun well i had a bypass 4wks ago at sunderland i thought the hospital was fab but i think the aftercare is terrible ive learnt everything from asking questions on here .................... the op wasnt that bad i just suffered wind had it monday night i was home wednesday i had 5 key hole 4 healed well one got infected between me boobs still getting it dressed every other day .... the first weeki really did regret it i was sick everytime i tried to drink or eat but once the wind went so did everything else ... im now eating a bit more eg half a weetabix .. cheese triangle .. cauliflour cheese 2tbl spoons then mash with bit of grated cheese for tea then maybe a babybel later atleast 3 glasses of milk and as much water as i can i find one day something is fine the next i dump on it its all trial and error and everyone is differant i feel back to my old self dont get me wrong ive not had a brain transplant i still want a big mac etc but no i couldnt possably i def cant eat bread pasta or red meat or fish i dump every time but i will give then another go in a few weeks ........hope this helps x

Most of us here have kept diaries, mine is in the diary section. It would be so hard to sum up all the experiences in one post, which is probably why no-one has tried!

A normal day for me now, well the parts changed by my bypass/ weight loss -

- wake up feeling refreshed as I sleep much better and no longer snore.

- I eat breakfast now, which I rarely did pre-op.

- I take my Multi-vitamins and lanzaprazole, daily for life. Every 3 months I have a b12 injection too.

- my meals are smaller, but I don't need to cook a different meal for me than the family, my portions are slightly smaller than my 10 year old son. You don't drink with meals any more.

- I'm much more likely to get out with hubby and the kids, I have more energy and self confidence. I can eat out easily.

- hubby is more likely to get a bit of lovin' due to more energy and confidence.

The side effects/complications for me have been chronic malabsorption, which means I have to eat a high fat high calorie diet to prevent further weight loss. I also have reactive hypoglycaemia which causes random blood sugar drops, I carry glucogel which quickly reverses them. These are both rare side effects. I also dump if I eat too much sugar.

Lastly, I get to enjoy my gorgeous son, Charlie. We tried to conceive pre-op and couldn't, but fell pregnant 8 months post op.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thank you thats a fantastic look at the post gastric bypass x its the every day stuff and long term advantage/dis-advantage that i'm interested in & having to carry glucogel x when you say about injections and lanzoprazol, these are the things i needed to be aware of oh and the dashing to the toilet and the fact that it's difficult to eat out x thank you and i'm respectful for your honesty xxx

hiya hun well i had a bypass 4wks ago at sunderland i thought the hospital was fab but i think the aftercare is terrible ive learnt everything from asking questions on here .................... the op wasnt that bad i just suffered wind had it monday night i was home wednesday i had 5 key hole 4 healed well one got infected between me boobs still getting it dressed every other day .... the first weeki really did regret it i was sick everytime i tried to drink or eat but once the wind went so did everything else ... im now eating a bit more eg half a weetabix .. cheese triangle .. cauliflour cheese 2tbl spoons then mash with bit of grated cheese for tea then maybe a babybel later atleast 3 glasses of milk and as much water as i can i find one day something is fine the next i dump on it its all trial and error and everyone is differant i feel back to my old self dont get me wrong ive not had a brain transplant i still want a big mac etc but no i couldnt possably i def cant eat bread pasta or red meat or fish i dump every time but i will give then another go in a few weeks ........hope this helps x

Yes it really does help, i didn'y know you had to have 5 ports for laproscopic and betwwen your boobs aswell :sigh: x i'm sorry your having problems but i'm grateful for your honesty, When i get on that table, i want to be right in my heart as well as my head so Thank you again x p's i love cheese triangles lol xxx

hi sicknote, i had my bypass eight weeks ago, and can honstly say i had no side effects from the surgery, a felt a little sore naturally, but was fine. i did however have problems with my medication, lanzaprozole no sooner had i took the tablet i was poorly with my bowels, couldnt eat anything with out having to dash to the toilet, thankfully after speaking to the dietician she changed it straight away for me, she said this only affects a few people . im now perfectly ok.

all the best barbara xx

Thank you x I'm really glad your okay now, My mum takes Lanzoprazole for berretts osphogues (can't spell it) x i didn't know that people post bypass had to take this drug x i did know that we all had to takve vitamins for the rest of our lives but the surgeon said nothing about injections/lanz etc so i'm really glad i asked now and i'v had some really good replys xxx Thanks again x

Your doctor sounded like he at least had done some reasearch. I discussed the lapband, then mentioned the bypass aswell. She didnt know what it was, and asked me what I wanted to write in the referral letter. lol

Thats just scary stuff lol tbh i would have walked out of their so confused!! when people are in uniform and there asking you what to write, there's a problem starring right at you :eek: x i'm glad you made a choice that was right for you at the time xx and thanks for the links you've been a great help xxx

No probs. I think there's a lot they dont tell you. I didnt know about the injections and lanzoprazole either. Really all this kind of thing should be put in a booklet and given out at the first meetings.

Make sure your aunty keeps taking her meds. Barrets oesophagus can lead to quite serious things if you dont take the meds. Hopefully they have told her that.

Hey I', gonna be bluntly honest with you with my pro's and cons for WLS x

Pro's
Sleep very well (suffered sleep Hyperventilation before)
Feel more confident
Could run a marathon every day(not even joking have vast amounts of energy more than the average person my size)
I eat to live not live to eat
Life feels like a gift not a choreChildren not taunted at school

Cons
Skin around my stomach, legs and Vagina is awful have to wear big pants to stop it wobbling

Cons are far less than the pro's obviously there are risks! But ask yourself are you really living now or just existing?
Take care xx

Hey I', gonna be bluntly honest with you with my pro's and cons for WLS x

Pro's
Sleep very well (suffered sleep Hyperventilation before)
Feel more confident
Could run a marathon every day(not even joking have vast amounts of energy more than the average person my size)
I eat to live not live to eat
Life feels like a gift not a choreChildren not taunted at school

Cons
Skin around my stomach, legs and Vagina is awful have to wear big pants to stop it wobbling

Cons are far less than the pro's obviously there are risks! But ask yourself are you really living now or just existing?
Take care xx

I truley love the bluntness of this post.... wobbling vagina! x never even occured to me....mind you thats probably because i'v not seen mine for a loooooong time rofl x that's fantastic info, many thanks x life does feel like a chore atm and i'm missing out on sooo much of my 2 young babies life's xxx

I'm ashamed to say its the later existing :cry:, my heart screaming for surgery and i will do it, but nice to know the REAL problems associsated with this surgery xx brilliant support x

I truley love the bluntness of this post.... wobbling vagina! x never even occured to me....mind you thats probably because i'v not seen mine for a loooooong time rofl x that's fantastic info, many thanks x life does feel like a chore atm and i'm missing out on sooo much of my 2 young babies life's xxx

I'm ashamed to say its the later existing :cry:, my heart screaming for surgery and i will do it, but nice to know the REAL problems associsated with this surgery xx brilliant support x

I think it fair to say that no ones life on here was great before the op, otherwise why would we have done it?, its probably also fair to say that life perhaps doesn't always improve post bypass for everyone, we still have to live with whats in our heads.
Also certain situations will arise from time to time to bite us on the ass! but its a lot easier to deal with without the added complications of obesity! xx

Back