• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Things that are worrying me

Helski

Hi
As I've said I'm booked for my GB on 18th November. Things that are worrying me are:

PBing what is that and why does it happen and is it horrible?

Sliming - sounds disgusting what is that?

Everyone says how hard life with a band is, is it harder than life without a band?

As you can tell, I'm getting more worked up about this as the date approaches!

Thanks.

This is the most descriptive thing I've ever read about sliming and PB-ing: The Weight Loss Rollercoaster: Sliming, Stuck and PBing, Oh My!

My nurse told me to expect to do both, but to learn from my mistakes and only do it once. The good news is that I've been banded almost 3 months and haven't had anything stick and have never PBd. I'm sure when I get some restriction things will change.

I don't find life hard with my band. I spend more time planning meals and when I eat out I try to see a menu in advance so I can make thoughtful choices, but let's be honest, that's a good thing compared to the mindless gorging I used to indulge in.

Much of the struggle with any bariatric surgery is in our heads. Even if I achieve perfect restriction, where a few spoonfuls of food staves off hunger for hours, if I can't fight my head-hunger then I will overeat. If I make poor food choices I won't see the good weight loss I want to achieve. The band is an amazing tool, but it requires effort on my part.

I hope that helps Helski, if you've got any questions or concerns I'll do my best to answer and there is such a wealth of experience on here there's usually someone who has been in the same boat:)

Hi

I had the band fitted 16 weeks ago and I can honestly say that to date, life with the band has been a pleasure.
I was in a lot of pain from the op, (some people hardly suffer) but that passed in about 8/10 days, weakness was a problem for a short time after that.
The most difficult time is "banders hell" ( being hungry and able to eat large quantities until you have fills) I don't think I fully appreciated this until the time. I have had three fills in my 16 weeks, which is about as close together as I have been allowed and I am now very very close to the allusive "green zone"

I have never PB'd, I have wanted to but it's always gone down and not up, I have slimed a couple of times, but really it isn't all that bad, it's similar to a watery mouth when u feel sick, just thicker saliva. And can be quite painful.
But what's very important to remember is, these things only happen if YOU let them.
The first rule is not to have your band to tight, the second is, eat slow slow slow, very small mouth fulls at a time, and if it's new foods, see if you and your band can handle it before putting more me.
But all in, so far, life with my band has been great. I know I'm not going to fall of this wagon. And will be slim for life.

X Lou.

I have had my band in for 5 weeks.
I have my first fill tomorrow.
I ate out a couple of times this weekend and tried to make good choices.
But so far I have lost 3-4 stone including the pre op diet.
I have had 2 times where food has got stuck and on both occassions it was because I didnt wait the 30 seconds between eating.
If you stick to the guidelines - the band works.
Its not easy and its not cheating, but if you can work with it - it will work.
All the best.

Back