• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Things that non WLS people ask

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I've been back at work 4 days now and have been bombarded with queries. My answers are getting a bit standard: "Yes, I can only eat a small amount, between 100 grams and 200 grams depending on consistency (more of liquids, less of soft mushy food)" and "Yes, I really have less hunger and 100 grams of soft food fills my tiny tummy up for several hours -- yes really !!!"

Some enquirers seem not to like these 'perfect' answers (like they didn't want the surgery to work or be the perfect solution or something?) and starting hitting back with even more queries like:

Q. Will that be it forever, mushy food will be all you can eat? (I do hope not, LOL!)

Q. Ah, but are you having major cravings for all the things you can't have? (ME: err, no!)

Q. But what about alcohol, can you have that?
(ME: well not at 2 weeks post op, no it's not really advised. Perhaps when I have reached goal I could try a small amount, but I was never much of a drinker anyway ..... and we are advised to avoid fizzy drinks forever, soft and alcoholic, due to the bubbles .... blah blah -- you know, repeating ad nauseum all the standard bariatric post op eating and drinking advice !!)

I remember that Yvessa posted a while back someone had asked her what she hoped to be doing during the op, and her reply was: "sleeping hopefully!" :D ......

...... anyone else been bombarded by "strange / stupid / weird" questions by people once they are post op ???

Ive just had a 6oz sirloin steak for tea and it wasnt a bit mushy!

How about the usual?
When will they take that out then?
When you have just told them you have had a bypass (or sleeve in Sharon's case)

Precisely the reason why I kept quiet at work about my op.

im getting ready to thump the next person who says.. well what about all the loose skin!!
im a bit impatient with it now and say... the same as your loose skin when you lose weight!!

lamornamiss said:
How about the usual?
When will they take that out then?
When you have just told them you have had a bypass (or sleeve in Sharon's case)

Oh I get that one all the time along with all the others x

I just tell people I have stopped drinking alcohol because everyone knows alcohol makes you fat, and then tell them they need to try it as well. :)

Paul

Now four years on its still the same questions. But because I'm at goal, I get asked after I've told which surgery I had "that's a bit drastic, was it really necessary?!!" I'm dumbfounded and often resort to showing them my before picture which shows them how necessary it was. But I'm sure I'll spend the rest of my life explaining to the unconverted!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

To be honest I don't mind and by them asking they're trying to show an interest in my journey

Common one is: will the band stay in forever....

You know what I didn't know the answer either before all this either so maybe I'm different but u chose to tell people so I'm supported and happy for the questions time n time again lol :)

God bad grammar...wakey wakey jo...and I chose to tell people!!

Ive just had a 6oz sirloin steak for tea and it wasnt a bit mushy!

Oooh I like this, a lot! Looking forward to steak being a possibility in a year's time perhaps !!

I just tell people I have stopped drinking alcohol because everyone knows alcohol makes you fat, and then tell them they need to try it as well. :)

I like that a lot as well, especially as some of the people asking me the awkward "trying to trip me up" questions were a little bit podgy themselves (ooooops!).

I don't think some of them wanted to hear that the op was so simple and had made eating small amounts so easy, perhaps they had hoped I might say: "Nah there's hardly any difference, I can still wolf down big cheese baguettes, dunno why I bothered with the op" or "Yes, of course, I'm going totally doolally craving chocolate, chips, pizza and cheesecake, yes it is absolutely awful being starved and deprived like this" (NOT!)

The worst one I hear, is 'did it work?' errrr no, I'm still 20 stone, I just carry it well.

Worse still, I hear it most from doctors and nurses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The best one I got asked is wont u miss going out for meals umm no I've got a gastric band I ve not had my jaws wired shut dohhhh :)

snack said:
The best one I got asked is wont u miss going out for meals umm no I've got a gastric band I ve not had my jaws wired shut dohhhh :)

I agree however in a sick way I do sometimes miss polishing my plate off when eating out.....food usually tastes much better than anything I can make and whilst my head wants to keep going my band kicks in...! But hey I'm not moaning...it's doing it's job after all!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Awww jo poor u , I'm not eating yet still on soup and shakes :( but I'm sure I've got all this to come , at least one good thing is we are a cheap date as we can eat a lot and we only need one drink and we are p!£&ed lol xx

snack said:
Awww jo poor u , I'm not eating yet still on soup and shakes :( but I'm sure I've got all this to come , at least one good thing is we are a cheap date as we can eat a lot and we only need one drink and we are p!£&ed lol xx

I'll def agree with that! 2 wines and I'm anyone's lol x

Back