• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Restricted Food ...

GemmsieJ

Hello All,

I attended my first appt last week which was a group educational. We were all advised about various things to do with Bypass and Bands and one of the things I was a little surprised about is the amount of food you are told you will not be able to eat/cope with. Having seen some of the menu lists on here I think they (the dietician and the bariatric nurse) may have been overly cautious.

We were told no fizzy drinks, no pasta, no bread and no rice.

We were advised of alternatives, such as having the bread as toast and eating baby/toddler pasta, can those of you who have already had the op advise if this is the case for you? I know everyone is different so maybe some people can cope but we were led to believe that these foods will definitley not be tolerated......

I can only answer from my own experience as a bypasser but I have very little at 6+ months post-op that I can't eat. I have to watch fatty & sugary food of course but the only other food that I struggle with is plain untoasted white bread. And even with that I can have a little it just leaves me feeling a bit too full and uncomfortable. I have no problems with pasta & rice. I have switched to whole grains by choice not because I can't stomach them. As for fizzy pop, I haven't had it because I HATE the taste of diet so there is no reason for me to test it. Also, I was warned that consumption of fizzy liquids could cause pouch stretching which I really want to avoid.

HTH,
Nic:D

Thanks for the response, I was hoping that would be what you said! I know I will have to change my diet but was worried I'd be living off mash potatoes and cauliflower for ever more! I do drink alot of diet coke at the moment but can accept that I may have to give it up, although a little unsure what to drink on a night out as my usual tipple is either vodka and diet coke or vodka and lemonade.....hmmmmmmmm!!

I have heard that on nights out some folk here have done vodka & cranberry and just had the cranberry a little watery. You'll have to give it a go and see if you like it!

Hi I have had no problems with bread toasted or as a sandwich I havent had white bread since my op but thats through choice not cause its a problem (tring go the healthy route) I stick with wholemeal or tasty seeded bread.Not had much pasta and rice mainly because I can not be bothered to cook such small amounts as there is only me in the house that eats it lol. I havent had fizzy drinks but that has done me a favour as before my op I drank at least 2 litres of diet coke a day. I have vodka now and again with sugar free flavoured still water

I have no problem with any of the foods you mention. I can eat fresh white bread but I don't eat the crusts, my choice as I've never eaten them!

I can eat a whole sandwich or three slices as toast (but I don't east the crusts).

I have had diet coke, but I buy the very small cans and have yet to manage to finish one! My surgeon says its Ok in moderation.

I'm 9 post op now, and agree with the others, i cant and dont eat white bread, i've only just been able to manage a slice of toasted brown, i dont have a problem with rice, pasta or anything else.
PH is correct, diet fizzy drinks are known to stretch the pouch, dont ask me how, but it does stretch it, pre op i used to drink gallons of the stuff, but it now gives me wind so i tend to avoid it and go for a still option.
i used to really mis bread, but that feelings gone and to be honest i could live without it.

Hiya - Im only 4 and a half weeks post bypass and still learning but I can manage a slice of toasted medium wholemeal bread and small pasta shapes with lots of sauce. I can also eat baked potato (not the skin), apples (peeled), raspberries, plums, melon, baked beans, fresh salad - its a question of slow nibbles and loads of chewing. You will have to be prepared to lose the carbonated drinks completely though - small price to pay really. Good luck

Hello All,

I attended my first appt last week which was a group educational. We were all advised about various things to do with Bypass and Bands and one of the things I was a little surprised about is the amount of food you are told you will not be able to eat/cope with. Having seen some of the menu lists on here I think they (the dietician and the bariatric nurse) may have been overly cautious.

We were told no fizzy drinks, no pasta, no bread and no rice.

We were advised of alternatives, such as having the bread as toast and eating baby/toddler pasta, can those of you who have already had the op advise if this is the case for you? I know everyone is different so maybe some people can cope but we were led to believe that these foods will definitley not be tolerated......

Think you had the same talk as me LOL.

As far as I can remember, bread isn't a no, no for ever. After time you will eat almost anything, but not in the same quantity.

Fizzy drinks can make you feel bloated and already said can stretch the pouch.

My consultant discourages fizzy drinks even post op, but I think it more of a personal dislike. He said even diet fizzy drinks make you gain weight.

I'm waiting for Bypass.
I use to have 3-4 cans a day now I'm down to 1-2.

Hiya, I'm only 2 months post band. I can't manage bread of any kind, nor pasta or rice. No uncooked hard fruit, soft is fine. Vegetables all have to be cooked (discovered this after eating carrot battons. Not pleasant!). I can't manage any meat apart from small bits of chicken.
I chew everything I can eat really well. And have found that my tastes have changed. I enjoy the texture of food now instead of bolting it like a hungry dog like I used to. X

Back