• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Horrible saliva...why and how long does it last?

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi all
I hope youre all well.
My question is about saliva post op.
Imagine having some mash potato and not swallowing it all and keeping some in your mouth, the funny feeling it gives you, well that is what my saliva is like and it is horrible.
It is so thick and foamy and I have to carry tissues with me to spit it out regularly and that only helps a little bit, it leaves my mouth smelling horrible and if I were to lick my lips and not wipe them I would look like Ive drank milk because it leaves what looks like dry skin around my mouth. It is so thick that if I dont spit it out, if I swallow it I dont feel hungry, which is stopping my eating a little bit.
Hubby said that it is like dehydration saliva and I agree that it could be but I drink way more now than I ever have in my life and it may not be a full 2ltrs but it is a lot and I thought that the more I drink the less the saliva would be but nope, nothing seems to affect it.
I cant go around for the rest of my life spitting up and gobbing into tissues...that is swapping the indignity of my fat body for a slim body but gobbing wads of saliva up all of the time, Im sorry but that is NOT a fair trade off.
So, has anyone else had this and what helped it and when did it stop?
Thanks xx
Steph xx

im sorry i couldnt read all of the thread i have a ikky tummy! but cant you try vaseline and maybe mouth wash - i have a similarp problem with the milk diet - leaves a horrible taste and gives me really bad breathe! xx

though i am still waiting for my op i must say it does sound like a touch of dehydration, i know you are drinking well but remember your body is not getting the extra fluid from food that it used to, it is surprising how much fluid content food has.... not sure of the answer though?... sure someone with experience will be along to help in a minute, maybe just sip sip sip ? anyway hope you are soon sorted xx

I agree with Kathleen - water, water and more water. Are you being sick after you eat? It is after I eat that I get the saliva problem but can't swallow it because my little tummy is already full. Not nice.
Remember - keep sipping. Mxx

Nope, no sick after eating, what little I can manage to eat because of the nasty spit!
I am trying to sip sip sip.
I have actually spoken to a post opper who had the same thing for 3 months post op and basically just had to put up with it, but at least for her it did stop, so maybe it will for me.
Steph xx

Natalie...on a good day almost my whole 2ltrs but some days, because of the thickness of the saliva it can be very little water, but I do try, some days drinking the least amount can make me feel very sick but days like today mean that I can get lots in and so I do. I have decided not to let it get me down too much, it'll work itself out eventually and there are worse things that could happen.
Steph xx

Back