• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Think I need to sit down...

PurpleKylie22

My dad died at 47 of a heart attack and my mum has (long story) brain damage from breaking her arm 15 years ago so really doesn't remember things very well at all. I asked my aunt about family history since my dad died so young of a heart attack... Well I bit off more than I can chew.

My grandad died at 56 of coranry heart failure.
My dad died at 47 same thing.
Uncle P-1 has high cholesterol problems
Uncle T has had 2 heart attacks, last one at 52.
Aunt S-1, several heart attacks last one at 46, she has a Stint put in.
Uncle P-2, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Aunt S-2 High cholesterol and heart murmur, on meds for cholesterol.

(all aunts and uncles are on my fathers side)

Brother, Glaucoma.

Well I knew there was some history of heart problems, I really didn't expect this. With this kind of history, the hospital would have to reconsider since my BMI is 50... surely?

I would hope they definitely do Hun good luck xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

You certainly should tell them and get it recorded!

I feel a bit shocked... I'm wondering if they will now refuse me based on family history because the op would be too risky! I never expected this. :( I wish I had known all of this before, maybe I shouldn't have had kids, I dont want to leave them without a mum

Darlin family history is not necessarily a life sentence it's more of a warning really to look after yourself better. If it is worrying to you talk to your gp and have them refer you for a ecg..if you have ever had a heart problem at all it will show. I had 3 heart attacks 9 years ago and when they did my ecg in pre-op evalution it showed. Have it checked to ease your mind.
lots of love

Darlin family history is not necessarily a life sentence it's more of a warning really to look after yourself better. If it is worrying to you talk to your gp and have them refer you for a ecg..if you have ever had a heart problem at all it will show. I had 3 heart attacks 9 years ago and when they did my ecg in pre-op evalution it showed. Have it checked to ease your mind.
lots of love

I'm going to make an appointment to go and see them as soon as I can, thank you.
Are they likely to give me an ECG since Im only 26?
Booked the docs next Thursday to discuss it, lets hope they will agree so I can see convince myself I'm not going to have a heart attack and collapse tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm going to make an appointment to go and see them as soon as I can, thank you.

They will based on your family history, sugar. I have a similar history & my brother died at 34 as we were not aware of it :cry::cry::cry: All off the remaining direct line were tested for the genetic problem & i really held my breath until my kids were given the all clear (they are adults) but so glad we were made aware of it so they now know how to avoid the pitfalls of heart related ill health. It is a good thing you know about it & once tested & hopefully given the op, you will lead a much healthier lifestyle. Good luck, sweetie xxx :)

They will based on your family history, sugar. I have a similar history & my brother died at 34 as we were not aware of it :cry::cry::cry: All off the remaining direct line were tested for the genetic problem & i really held my breath until my kids were given the all clear (they are adults) but so glad we were made aware of it so they now know how to avoid the pitfalls of heart related ill health. It is a good thing you know about it & once tested & hopefully given the op, you will lead a much healthier lifestyle. Good luck, sweetie xxx :)

Thanks, that really helps! My kids are 9, 8 and 3 at the minute, but I will make sure that they know family history and get them all check once they are old enough to understand it all properly... until today I was just worried about the male baldness for them :(

oh Kylie bless you :) i hope they do take notice and i wonder if you'd been told this years ago would it've made you use better choices about your health and eating xx were they large as well honey ? try not to worry too much but if you feel like a cry when you go to docs it will only help i'm sure xx take care :)

oh Kylie bless you :) i hope they do take notice and i wonder if you'd been told this years ago would it've made you use better choices about your health and eating xx were they large as well honey ? try not to worry too much but if you feel like a cry when you go to docs it will only help i'm sure xx take care :)

None of them are as big as I am, they are... urm normal fat people I suppose. They aren't slim (except for my aunt, who is!) but they aren't obese either. My weight issues started when my mum went into hospital when i was 12, she only had a broken arm, she stayed in for a year and 15 years later she cant walk due to everything that happened. it was like your worst nightmare come true, so I don't think knowing the history would've helped my weight much, at least not back then. Me and dad ate junk food for months, we were shell shocked really. Our first shop in ASDA without my mum was a trolly full of crisps, chocolate and a 4-pack of beans, I've never liked beans... lol

But at least I know now and I can make sure my kids know and that they make the right choices in life. I'm trying to get through to my brother, he doesn't know this family history either so he needs to go get checked out too.

i hope i didn't upset you asking that, i'm so sorry about your mum and dad xx i haven't had a mum since i was 8 and dad died when i was 17 so i do understand :) take care and your kids will have you for years and years till your too old to notice xx

My mother used to say to me that I should lose weight because I was going to have a heart attack or get diabetes (speaking from her own experience) but I never took it seriously and just thought she was nagging me until I did get diabetes and then a year later had three heart attacks. The fact that you are taking it seriously now will be a great help. And even if you didn't have a history of heart problems you should get an ecg during the pre-op assessment. But please darlin don't wait until then to do it:) and try not to worry too much:)

i hope i didn't upset you asking that, i'm so sorry about your mum and dad xx i haven't had a mum since i was 8 and dad died when i was 17 so i do understand :) take care and your kids will have you for years and years till your too old to notice xx

No you didn't at all don't worry :) My mum is still here, she lives quite away away since I moved to Aberdeen, but... Its hard to find a nice way to say this and she would hate me if she saw that I said it but she hasn't got a computer, so here goes... Shes not the same. My mum when I was young was very strong, she put up with a lot and she always had a smile on her face. when her arm broke, she was unconscious for several months in hospital and ever since then... its like she doesn't think about things like a normal person would, its the brain damage. She just says things and then wonders if it offends, I mean it must be refreshing in a way, but its like shes not my mum. She cant walk, she cant use her arm that was broken. She had a really bad time. My dad did everything for her until he died and now I feel bad because shes alone.

I know that I am lucky my mum is still alive, we were told at least 3 times in that first year that she wouldn't make it. But its like shes not my mum any more, shes someone else who looks like her.

awww darlin thats so sad. It must be very hard for you. (((hugs)))

well you defintely seem strong and i hope you never lose it :) i don;t know my family history either as i have no grandparents or aunts or uncles it's a long story but turns out my mother wasn't who she said she was so i can't even do family tree :( anyway honey make sure that doctor listens and sorts you out quickly then you can relax xx

awww darlin thats so sad. It must be very hard for you. (((hugs)))

It was, High school was all a blur for me. But I have (I think) mostly gotten over it now. I still dont have a great relationship with my mum, especially when I got a copy of my birth certificate and found the father bit empty instead of my dads name... but he is on my brothers Birth certificate and he was born before me... :sigh: My mum says she cant remember any of that, from the broken arm stuff so there's no point me arguing. None of the family know anything either, so its a mute point.
But honestly, things are better now!

well you defintely seem strong and i hope you never lose it :) i don;t know my family history either as i have no grandparents or aunts or uncles it's a long story but turns out my mother wasn't who she said she was so i can't even do family tree :( anyway honey make sure that doctor listens and sorts you out quickly then you can relax xx

Thank you, everyone says "your so strong" and I never feel like I am. I'm lucky I have my kids, they really are my strength. Oh wow, that must be really hard to hear that your mother wasn't who she said she was, especially when you lost your dad too :( sending *hugs* to you. I will make sure my doctor listens to me and if he doesn't, I will ask to see a different doctor until someone does. I owe it to my kids to get this sorted. They deserve a mummy.

Oh... Just occured to me :( I always wanted to loose weight so that I can donate my eggs and help an infertile woman become pregnant, it has been really important to me since I had a miscarriage before I conceived my third son... I wont be able to do that now, not with my family history :(

I suspect unless you've got proof, eg something on an ecg or an actual heart attack the nhs won't pay the blindest bit of attention. I can understand why you're so worried but now that you are aware of the history you can start to deal with it. Contact the british heart foundation; they will be able to give you advice on testing, how to minimise your risk etc.
As for the surgery, the surgeon will decide whether it is too risky. Most likely they will find a way to lessen any risk.

Booked the docs next Thursday to discuss it, lets hope they will agree so I can see convince myself I'm not going to have a heart attack and collapse tomorrow.

What a worry for you, like the others have said...it does not mean you have a death sentance. Why don't you ask your GP for a full CHD (coronary heart disease) screen - which is clearly what everyone on your Dad's side have. This will mean you get your, fasting glucose, full lipids, liver, kidney all checked with blood tests, your blood pressure and ECG done. That will give them a score which indicates your risk of also developing the disease - it will give you a base line to work from, either with our without your surgery. Good luck and try not to worry as the release of cortisone from stress can be as harmful as high blood pressure xxxx

What a worry for you, like the others have said...it does not mean you have a death sentance. Why don't you ask your GP for a full CHD (coronary heart disease) screen - which is clearly what everyone on your Dad's side have. This will mean you get your, fasting glucose, full lipids, liver, kidney all checked with blood tests, your blood pressure and ECG done. That will give them a score which indicates your risk of also developing the disease - it will give you a base line to work from, either with our without your surgery. Good luck and try not to worry as the release of cortisone from stress can be as harmful as high blood pressure xxxx

Thank you thats really helpful, I know what to ask for now :D My brother is being checked out too at the end of the month so I hope we both get a reasonable kind of all clear. My brother turns 30 this year and I will be 27, so Its much better than us finding out in a few years time. We are lucky, we still have time to get this sorted.

Back