• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm new - 34yr old / BMI 32 / 90kg and considering sleeve

Catseye

Hello, I'm new to this forum and considering gastric sleeve to be done privately.

My mother and siblings have always been on the heavy side and over the last couple of years I have put on 15kg. No matter how much I diet I cannot seem to get my weight under control and it is slowly creeping up.

I have a few questions which I hope the forum can help answer:

1) I am yet to go for a consultation, but am I likely to be accepted for sleeve surgery given my BMI?

In particular, I'm keen to hear about the experiences of others who have performed the sleeve and with a similar starting weight to mine.

2) Could someone recommend a surgeon for me (I am based in London)?

I have read quite a few reviews on this forum and Prof Ammori has been mentioned a lot. I phoned his practice and they explained that he does not regularly come to London anymore and that any procedure would be in Manchester. I am concerned that this would make post-surgery after care difficult.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome :)
I had a sleeve 12 weeks ago on the NHS. If you're planning to go private they probably have their own guidelines and I'm sure I've read posts maybe here and definitely elsewhere of people having WLS from a similar starting weight. Good luck!

Hi and welcome. I am 7 weeks post op and am doing great. I was 108kg on the day of surgery and was 103.7 on Tuesday. Making my total loss of 15 kg in 7 weeks. The surgery is a tool and it's something that you definitely have to research well on. I had a revision from band to sleeve. I had my sleeve done Czech Republic so I can't be of any help with uk surgeons. Good luck.

I went private for a sleeve with the same bmi, usually it is 35 but if the surgeon believes it suitable they will do it, they just have to be able to support the decision in case it goes wrong as they are pushing the NICE guidelines. Good luck..

Thank you all for the replies, I find it very supporting.

@Kar8858 if you don't mind me asking, did you get the procedure done in the UK and if so which doctor did you use?

Hi Catseye. I had my sleeve around a month or so after Kar and had a pretty similar starting BMI to you. On my op day I was 14st 5lb and I think my bmi was just over 32.

I had mine done privately in London (at Kings). If you PM, I'll happily give you details. Although I'd love to lose more, my current BMI is just under 24 and have maintained for over a year now.

A lot of UK surgeons will require a separate assessment if your bmi is under 35. (due diligence). However, I wrote a complete weight history for my surgeon from when I was a child and I was accepted based on this. I did have two other consultations and was accepted at both of these as well. I think the NICE guidelines are there to stop people thinking this is an easy fix. Yes it's the best thing I did, but it's hard work going through the losses and it's hard work maintaining. Like Karina says, it's a tool to help you on the way.

Good luck with everything.

Back