• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

This carbs thing...

Thump

Hi again :)

I'm a little bit confused. See, I've done low-carb/no-carb diets in the past and milk is rather high in carbs by those standards, let alone yogurt.

I'm following that diet because it's the one specified in THG's booklet but I admit I find it odd. They also tell patients to cut carbohydrates in order to use up glycogen reserves. To me this makes perfect sense.

It's the part where all you have is dairy that's weird to me. Or is there some other effect from dairy that helps shrink a liver? Or is just that the calories are so low? Because if it's all about the carbs and cals, I would much rather have a low-carb 1000 kcal diet, I'd be less hungry.

I can live on Tofu more easily than on milk :D

Does anyone know?

I'm not completely sure about this but I believe there are good and bad carbs, Milk contains the latter and providing you stick to semi-skimmed or preferably skimmed milk you shouldn't have a problem.
I did the milk diet for my Liver shrinkage and I was drinking 4 to 5 pints a day, but then I like milk so it was easyish for me. The only thing I know about Tofu is how to spell it!

Thump, I think withTHG it depends on your bmi as to which diet they ask you to follow. Also some surgeons prefer one approach over another. You could always phone the hospital for their guidance if you wanted to swap ... Good luck :)

Milk is a simple carb but does contain vitamins and minerals, it is absorbed quickly by the body much more so than grains and cereal. The carbs in milk are very good for the body and when its semi or skimmed the fat content is low as well.
I done a low carb/fat/sugar pre op diet and i can imagine the milk diet being quite hard.
Good luck on it. :)

Kim

Hi Thumper,

I'm on day 12 of my 14 day clear liquid diet!

I wish they had let me have milk because all I have lived on for the past 12 days is s/f jelly, chicken noodle soup sachets with the bit sieved out and water!

Good luck with the diet! And all the best for you skinny future!

TTFN, Kim

I'm doing the pre op milk diet at the mo, the first few days are hard, I'm not going to lie about that but once you are past that you stop being hungry. I'm actually glad I'm doing it now because I think I would find it harder to be able to eat but have to cut down my calories quite considerable from before I started. Obviously though each person is different. Good luck x

Actually, I think it might be working. Today I was just not very interested in food and although I did get very hungry a couple of times, it passed very quickly. I actually had to make an effort to down my last pint of milk :D

Someone brought cake to the office and there was most of another cake in the fridge and it never crossed my mind to try it! I still think its weird but hey, I'll try any diet at least once! Lol

You must be in ketosis, did you get a mega headache day 3 of your diet? This is always a sign x

THG are not great on advising about pre op diets and it does seem to be dependent on BMI. I was 36 when I had my op and did not need to do one. I think if under 45 they say 1000 cal low carb diet over that it is the milk diet.
Who is your surgeon and where ate you have g your op? I had mr sigurrdsson 3 weeks ago at little Aston and although I have not been impressed with THG my surgeon was excellent and I have been left with very small, very tidy incisions which I don't think will scar.

Yeah, I'm not too happy with some of the service I've received from THG so far. They're nice and polite but I had to nag to get confirmation that my payment had been received (it's most of my savings!) and you really don't hear from them after they get your money do you? Oh well, I knew this when I picked them because I'd read what people were saying online.

My surgeon is Mr. Richardson and I'm having the op in Dolan Park.

My BMI was 40 when I saw the doc but he did mention the pre-op diet. No one called or emailed to tell me about it or that I had to start or anything but it's in the booklet. Either way it definitely can't hurt to shrink my liver some before the op :) I'd be binging like crazy right now otherwise.

I too have experienced the poor service from THG.
My bmi was 37 but I didn't do a Pre-op diet and pigged out for 2 weeks before surgery. No one told me to do a Pre-op diet but I had a massive panic 2 days before surgery. My surgeon was mr Hewin. I'm now 5 days post op and still have no clue about what I'm meant to be doing apart from liquids only for 2 weeks.
TOTALLY AGREE about them not being interested after they get their hands on your money. We are just numbers to them, not human beings with feelings, spending life savings/loans etc to just feel normal and accepted. In fact I'm so annoyed about it all, I sent off a 3 page complaint letter 2 days after my op!

my provider suggested this may happen with THG as they dropped their prices to get more business but I hear made no extra provision to deal with aftercare....which is crucial in my opinion

Kellsbells / thump, so sorry you are not having a good experience. I had read some negative comments re thg before I had my op, but in all honesty they have been fantastic with me. I received a receipt by post for the payment. The pre-op diet was discussed by mr super and it was also in the booklet. I was on the milk diet as my bmi was over 40. The booklet explained all the different food stages, but I was told about the first stage only as I was advised the dietician would talk me through my next stages as I came to them. My dietician did 3 x two weekly phone calls to check how things were going, I receive letters/emails to advise of dates/times for follow-up dietician/nurse appointments, which are usually 4-6 weeks apart. These appointments take place 7 days a week from 8.30 in the morning which is great as I work full time Monday to Friday. Don't let it get you down ladies, fingers crossed your experience improves soon xxx

At the THG it all depends on who you dr is I done low carb as that's what my dr wanted , but some do milk and some just do low cal. Xx

Hi guys, I am only one day away from finishing my pre op and was very worried about the no carb side of things, I have lived on slimfast or eggs, chicken or fish and lots of veges I just hope that my liver has shrunk enough, I will soon find out when I meet the consultant for the first time, I had a call from my dietian chasing invoices and when I told her I was having a problem with the food plan in the first week she said "I wish you had of called me" I was so cross I felt like saying I have paid you an awful lot of money for this service don't you think you should of called ME!!! bloody cheek lol

Hi kiwi I'm sure all will be fine we all worry about the liver thing and I have only heard of 1 case out of the hundreds on here where someone's liver didn't shrink, as with them calling you etc same here you'd think after giving them 5 grand they would be a bit more on the ball :( xx

I rang mine on day 2 to request a swap onto the milk diet. Was funny as they don't do it and had to email the surgeon for a copy...didn't have the heart to say id already got it off here!
Just be mindful that they have thousands on their books and so it's far easier for us to call them to check and query things...! I'm happy in that I know where they are if and when I need them but otherwise they give me a call once a month for an update!

Back