• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk Diet Confusion

stefletcher28

Hi All

I've been doing the pre-op milk diet for a few days now and all is going well.

I've started setting up some online tracking such as myfitnesspal in readiness for keeping firmly on top of my intake and progress when I have my band installed on Sunday.

Anyway, I decided to input everything I'm "eating" on the milk diet and to my horror have found the calorific and carb content to be way higher than I would've thought would be necessary to reach ketosis and burn the glycogen from the liver in order to shrink it.

I've been doing this (the numbers are Calorie/Carbs content for each (according to myfitnesspal))

Breakfast - 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk 284/27

Lunch - 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk 284/27
1 Mullerlight yoghurt 90/14
1 Oxo hot drink 34/5

Dinner - 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk 284/27
1 Mullerlight yoghurt 90/14
1 Oxo hot drink 34/5

Like most of us, I'm supposing, I've tried the Atkins and Paleo diets which seem to work solely by reducing carb levels to a minimum. To get into and maintain ketosis quickly I've limited myself to 20g of carbs a day and achieved reasonable (but ultimately unsustainable) weightloss doing this.

My question is, 6 days before my surgery, is this milk diet actually going to work?? I am losing weight which is a good thing but surely this will mainly be down to the calorie restriction whereas the purpose of the diet is supposed to be to shrink my liver by using up its glycogen reserves. I would assume this would require me to be in a state of ketosis which with a total of 125g of carbs a day seems unlikely to happen unless they are some different form of carb that I'm not aware of.

Would appreciate any clarification.

Thanks
Steve

The point of the Milk diet is to shrink your liver, the weightloss etc that goes with it is really neither here no there (although a fab bonus!) you are doing really well with what you are sticking to now and it will have the desired effect - I stuck to virtually the same as you and my surgeon was very happy with my progress and my operation went very smoothly because of it with hardly any after pain. its all about the end results x

PS I actually did go into Ketosis on the milk diet (I have tester sticks at home)

Just follow your provider's guidance and you should be fine

Dont worry, it will work. Your provider has asked you to do this because it works. And there are hundreds of people who have been on this forum, over the years, who are testament to this.

Thanks everyone, only 5 days to go till the big day, started milk diet on Saturday and so far lost an additional 9lb's on top of previous losses so something must be working ok.
(Of course I could eat a horse, or at least do some very serious damage to the local Mcdonalds!! lol)

Fingers crossed for that liver shrinking!! lol

Try not to worry...as long as your following the milk diet as your provider has issued you'll be fine.
Just worry if you cheat on it!
I did the other liver shrinking diet (low carb/fat) and for 4 weeks!

Oh I won't cheat, I'm far to excited about my surgery day and don't want anything to mess it up!

I do wish I'd had the option to do low carb/low fat though, its getting to the point where I'm looking forward to taking my multivitamin tablet just so I've got something to chew on!! lol

Ha ha I was like that, I even contemplated chewing and spitting out lol this was after dreaming about my favourite dinner though lol

I am also on the milk diet, day 4. I have lost 10lb so far. I have my op on Saturday and I am getting nervous now.......I know how you feel about wanting something to chew on, it will be worth it in the end. Good luck xx

Hi Mia2013, what fantastic weight loss I'm sure you've got nothing to be nervous about, I don't know about you though but I'm not relishing the paper underpants!! lol

Must make it feel real though once you start the pre op diet!
Good luck

Back