• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

This is it! Or is it?

nakipa

Hi
I have posted a couple of times with questions and stuff but never been properly introduced.

Today I paid the deposit on my surgery and have to pay the balance tomorrow (Thursday). As you can see from the time of posting at 5am I can't sleep and am going nuts trying to decide what to do.

All the time I have been considering WLS I have been sure that it is what I want. I have researched and searched and questioned and decided to go for a sleeve with cosmetic Bliss in Brno. That is until today when I had to pay for it!

My husband is not happy with me having WLS although he says he will support me and help me. He cant understand why I cant eat less and exercise more. I tried to get the surgery on the health system but they wont have me cos my BMI is not high enough. I am 5'4'' and 211lbs. I can lose weight and in fact did lose 32lbs between January and August this year but as soon as I stopped the diet I piled it all back on. I am nearly back at my heaviest weight and it is only a matter of time.

Being fat stops me from doing so much and I hate the way I feel, I hate the way I look and I hate how restricted I am. I loved how I felt when I was lighter and how different it made my life....

So if all that is true why cant I sustain it?

My portion size is too big and I am an emotional eater. I graze and eat if I am bored, happy, sad, anxious... anytime, any place, anywhere.

I cant make the lifestyle changes necessary to lose weight and keep it off and I think that the only way I am going to do it is with WLS.....

I dont know why I am writing all this here but I have no-one to talk to as only my hubby knows about this.

How can I decide? I do so want to be slim. It is the wish I always make if I pull a wishbone or see a shooting star or throw a coin in a well. Will this WLS give me what I need and not ruin my life?

Any advice or help to decide would be most welcome.

Hi nakipa

I am only 5 weeks post op and already my sleeve has given me vast improvements in my life :) improved confidence, sore feet not so sore, much better 'playtime' with the boywonder to name a few ;-)

It may the money putting you off, it probably would have me as well. Very likely your husband as well. Although he would also benefit in the long run lol

Try and think how you would feel if the money wasn't a factor. Would you grab the chance? Would you have the same nagging doubts?

Good luck in your decision. It's not easy one to make to could be the best one you ever make xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

aw hun im also pre op and sam as you havin moments thinking am i doin rite thing so its a natural emotion..Ok im luckyas have full support in my hubby and grown up kids,do you not have a close frd you can vent too as talking does help...If you ever wanna let of steam pm me hun as dont mind at all..Just remember our ops are a tool to help us sustain the healthy life style we struggle to be able to maintain now... gl hun anna xxx

The question to ask yourself is this

....... is the outlay to get the result you desire worth it and, if you back out now, will be asking yourself the same question in 12 months time and have spent another year trying to achieve but never quite getting there?

If the answer is yes then you have your answer and it's up to you to take the initiative. Otherwise the time may come when you will qualify for NHS treatment because your bmi has continued to rise as time goes on.

Good luck in making your decision today,

Tatiana

Last edited:
Good luck with wot ever u decide Hun ;)

Right then nakipa
I think that the only reason you are having doubts is because you haven't got full support from your hubbie.

Sit back close your eyes and imagine 5 things that you would do if you were 80lbs lighter...

...is it worth it now?

I can't speak for bypass or twists (whatever they are called) as I have a band and my progress will be slower. But your dreams will come true by this time next year.

Men are rubbish at telling us what they want. He is also probably scared of the loss that you might feel after surgery when a good gorge makes us feel on top of the world (for 2 seconds :)). Maybe he is scared to agree with you do that then when times are tough you can't 'blame' him. I don't know but you deffo need to in this 100%. So come on make up your mind pay for the damn thing and save your worrying to theatre day.

That's how I made up my mind and it took almost a year to tell my hubbie what I was going to do.

Good luck x

Susielicious you really made me giggle reading that.

I havent paid yet because I had to take my dog to the vet to be PTS and have been sitting here in a daze since.

I need now to get my fat arse in gear and get it paid and move forward. Thanks for the talking to all of you.. I needed it because I sure cant help thinking that if I dont then this time next year I will be planning which diet I will be doing come January 2nd 2013!

Something which brought me down to earth with a bump is that I was talking to my mum on the phone the other day. She is 78 years old and had just started a diet to lose a few pounds in the run up to Christmas.... That could be me... 78 and still trying to diet!!!! Noooooooooooooooooo

its a big decision to make, a much bigger one if you have to pay for it! so what was your decision?

I have now paid the balance and booked all the flights so there's no going back now!!

I am off to the UK on Wednesday for a week to see my grandchildren and then back here to France for 10 days and then off to CZ for my op. I will be too busy to think too much about it all and it will be here in no time.

The only other worry is that I have to start the pre-op diet whilst I am at my Mums and I am not telling anyone about it. What I thought I might do is say to Mum on NY's day that we ought to start a healthy eating regime for the few days I have left there. That way I can help her to help me.

xx

My list of people I have taken into my confidence has slowly grown. I don't see the point in being too secretive about the op...just choose who you tell. When my 5 yr old grandson said to me yesterday :"grandma: I know why you're getting thinner; cuz you had an operation!" I was not impressed with my son for telling him but it made my mind up to tell my daughter in law's mum, before my grandkids did it for me. I am close to her anyway, so it had always been in the back of my mind to tell her.

Personally I think it's good to tell a few choice people, then you have real life people to vent to and get support from.

i had originally decided to keep it quiet, probably because i was a little embarrassed to tell people. but as time has gone on i got more excited and have told all my family and lots of friends now. very glad i did too, i have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of support i have had x

I didn't keep it from anyone, thought it would save all the questions when I start to lose serious weight - now that's what I call being positive!

The only reason I haven't set myself up as a public speaker on the topic (unlike when I lost 6st by myself a few years ago, when I was invited to speak to public gatherings and did so) is that the general perception, or rather misperception of WLS out there is that it's a cop out, lazy excuse rather than willpower, diet and exercise. Anyone on the inside knows this to be a complete falsehood; we go through hardship, pain and difficulty, but it's hard to get that across to people who look at you on the speaker's podium and say to each other "well yea, anyone can do it if they have surgery..."

So I have only told a few close friends. I am certain there are various slim people who used to be fat, in my neighbourhood who have had surgery but have also chosen to keep the fact quiet. In fact only a week or so ago I had to bite my tongue when a slim elegant woman was pontificating on the topic of a certain large lady we all knew who had lost tons of weight "on either hypnotherapy or acupuncture, I don't know, but at least not any of those stupid operations!"...I was willing to lay down money that was exactly how she'd lost the weight.

The only way i made the decision was to be honest with myself. I come to the conclusion that i was unable to do this on my own. (after trying hundreds of diets) I was still nervous but so glad i took the step. Good luck whatever you decide hun x

Back