• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tier 3 Weight Loss Intervention .....

muffin1001

Hi everyone, I have recently been approved for gastric bypass after my referral to hospital (my funding had already been approved). However, although there are no problems physically, before I have the op I have to have Tier 3 counselling so that I'm prepared mentally. Although I'm a bit disappointed as this will delay the op by some months, I do understand the reason for the referral, and why this is important.

My question is, has anyone else been down this road before? What exactly does the counselling consist of, and how useful was it for you?

Thanks v much for any advice
Muffin

hi muffin i had to see a cognetive behaviour therapist wich is really the same as counciling.
i found it very interesting and think this will help after i have my surgery.

it intails how we think around food and when to stop eating when we are full not to have that extra bit cos we dont like waste,.

another session was on sabbotaging thoughts and how the people around us can play a big part in how and what and when we eat.

its all ment to help when we have surgery, and dont forget when you go you are also getting assesed to see wether you are mentaly ready to have bariatric surgery,

you will also be asked to do some home work to i was given a book to wright down my thoughts and feelings before and after i had eaten.

and had to write a food diary also. hope this helps i suppose your sessions will be simillar as they work off almost the same bariatric counceling therapy. in all areas. xxx
oh it took about 6 months 1hourly sessions once a week.

Hi thanks very much. I work full time so I hope my employer will be OK with me taking so much time off.. fingers crossed !

Cheers for the info
Muffin

Hi muffin, part if the conditon of surgery in my pct is to attend the level 3 weightloss management. I've had my initial assessment today. Mines an 8 week course where u meet for 1 hour every week and they have a different topic to discuss each week and you do some light exercise. There's also a clincal psychologist there if you need her. I suppose its just to get ur mind ready for surgery cos its going to be a big change :)

hi charlie pops, thanks for the info. I came into this with a completely open mind, and I'll happily do whatever the experts tell me I need to. Like most dieters, I can lose weight reasonably easily, but I can never keep it off and the older I get, it just seems to get more and more difficult. I want to be 100% prepared in both mind and body before I undergo this transformation. I know that I can do this, I just need to be patient (never my best quality lol), thanks again, Muffin

i know how you feel muffin, ive waited a month for todays appointment and got to wait another month to do there little health test then ill get told when my 8 weeks starts. just make sure its what you want, theres so much info on and support on here its brilliant.

hi there i know what you are going through be prepared for a longish wait i have been through the tier system and am on level 5 there is no way round it you have to go through all the levels also there can be a wait between each level as they dont run right behind each other what u need to show is that you are committed to losing weight and if u are u will get there

good luck

Hi Pauline, thanks, and yes I'm expecting a long wait.... these things do seem to take a long time don't they? I'm just trying to stay as positive as I can.

Cheers
Muffin

It is amazing how different each PCT is. With mine I went to see a psychologist and we discussed my eating behaviour. She said I seemed to have it under control and doesnt feel I need to see her again.

I really think the counselling is a good idea though :)

just keep looking at the small steps dont look too far ahead just take it 1 step at a time thats what i did and that way u dont notice how long things take and keep on at them dont just presume ur on their lists keep hounding them for start dates of the next stage and asking what happens next

Back