• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tier 3?

Stokes2020

So my surgeon is said to be introducing me to Tier 3 before I go on his official list.
Thing is when do I start? Is there a waiting list to start Tier 3? It’s been a month and I’ve heard nothing. Unsure if I need to call someone, wait or what........
I know I’m impatient but this silence of not quite knowing what’s gonna happen and when is driving me instane. I wanna get the ball rolling already

Welcome
My area doesn’t seem to have the tier 3 pathway. So I can’t help you. I am sure someone will be able to help.
Good luck with journey x

So my surgeon is said to be introducing me to Tier 3 before I go on his official list.
Thing is when do I start? Is there a waiting list to start Tier 3? It’s been a month and I’ve heard nothing. Unsure if I need to call someone, wait or what........
I know I’m impatient but this silence of not quite knowing what’s gonna happen and when is driving me instane. I wanna get the ball rolling already
Hi and welcome,
Which hospital or area are you? Every area has its own way of doing things, it's not uncommon to wait a good few weeks before you get a letter come through, but if you're worried ask your doctor to chase them up x

Welcome
My area doesn’t seem to have the tier 3 pathway. So I can’t help you. I am sure someone will be able to help.
Good luck with journey x

Do you not? I have to complete tier 3 before I can go on the list. I could be on tier 3 for a year before I get on the official list which is why I’m so keen to start x

Try not to get disheartened. You have started this journey now.
I was the same as you this time last year but it will be here before you know. I think my area has something similar to T3 but doesn’t call it that.
I had my first MDT in March 2018 that was when they took my start weight. I have had to have bloods, sleep apnea test & attend a 12 week pre op program. I am in the middle of the pre op program. When I have finished I then wait for another MDT to see if surgery is agreed by all departments. Then if I get the go ahead they try & get you into surgery within 18 weeks. So by my calculations that should be March April time 2019. Which would be a year since my first MDT.
Waiting is so hard but with the support from this forum I have made it this far. Everyone is so supportive I couldn’t have done it without it.
I would call them just to get an update of their procedure. X

Well I have a appointment with a dietitian coming up for the end of Oct and I have these questions I have to fill out and I’ve noticed at the end of the the form where they fill their bit it in it mentions tier 3 with a tick box for referral. So does that mean tier 3 is down to the dietitian or is it mandatory and it’s just a matter of she has to tick the box?
I’m so excited and so nervous about this appointment I just want it here already so I know what’s going on. I’m still none the wiser as to what is happening ‍♀️

Well I have a appointment with a dietitian coming up for the end of Oct and I have these questions I have to fill out and I’ve noticed at the end of the the form where they fill their bit it in it mentions tier 3 with a tick box for referral. So does that mean tier 3 is down to the dietitian or is it mandatory and it’s just a matter of she has to tick the box?
I’m so excited and so nervous about this appointment I just want it here already so I know what’s going on. I’m still none the wiser as to what is happening ‍♀️
Not long now Stokes, I’m afraid teir 3 is mandatory, they have to follow NICE guidelines but time will fly. Let us know how you get on xx

Exactly a week behind me lol, i’ll Let you know. I’m excited to get the ball rolling but nervous at the same time
I feel exactly the same... I try not to think about it, as It just seems so far off and I keep thinking they’ll be set backs, but it’s all I can think of ! I thought tier 3 was a 6 month thing, but reading a lot of posts saying it ended up being a 12month thing, before going on waiting list x

I feel exactly the same... I try not to think about it, as It just seems so far off and I keep thinking they’ll be set backs, but it’s all I can think of ! I thought tier 3 was a 6 month thing, but reading a lot of posts saying it ended up being a 12month thing, before going on waiting list x
I keep hearing 12 months too, which seems so long?! When I’ve researched it says 6-12 months so maybe it goes by the individual? All I know is that you’re expected to lose 5%. I’m
Interested to know what happens if you reach your 5% sooner?! Does that mean you’ve finished? I have a lot of questions to ask, no doubt you have all the same questions lol. I’ll definitely keep you updated. It’s nice to know that we’re on the same path at the same time x

I keep hearing 12 months too, which seems so long?! When I’ve researched it says 6-12 months so maybe it goes by the individual? All I know is that you’re expected to lose 5%. I’m
Interested to know what happens if you reach your 5% sooner?! Does that mean you’ve finished? I have a lot of questions to ask, no doubt you have all the same questions lol. I’ll definitely keep you updated. It’s nice to know that we’re on the same path at the same time x

I believe the length of time on tier 3 varies from trust to trust and individual to individual but as a general rule I believe it's at least 6 months if you have a BMI over 50 and at least 12 months for those under 50. My case is going to the MDT on Nov 8th to decide if I'm progressing to tier 4 which is around 7 months of tier 3 (my journey hasn't been straightforward lol).

If you lose the 5% quicker it does not shorten the time. Also, you will need to keep it off and be expected to maintain a weight loss. You have to show the commitment, hence a minimum of 6 months.

I believe the length of time on tier 3 varies from trust to trust and individual to individual but as a general rule I believe it's at least 6 months if you have a BMI over 50 and at least 12 months for those under 50. My case is going to the MDT on Nov 8th to decide if I'm progressing to tier 4 which is around 7 months of tier 3 (my journey hasn't been straightforward lol).
Oh right, well I didn’t know that, my BMI is 42 so I guess tier 3 is gonna be a 12 month journey for me. Do you complete a whole year or is it just a matter of losing 5% to complete.
Fingers crossed you’ve done enough to reach tier 4 x

If you lose the 5% quicker it does not shorten the time. Also, you will need to keep it off and be expected to maintain a weight loss. You have to show the commitment, hence a minimum of 6 months.
Ok great, thanks for that info. I’ve been struggling to find any time scale and info on tier 3 x

Oh right, well I didn’t know that, my BMI is 42 so I guess tier 3 is gonna be a 12 month journey for me. Do you complete a whole year or is it just a matter of losing 5% to complete.
Fingers crossed you’ve done enough to reach tier 4 x

I can't speak for all the trust's but imagine it would still be the whole year. Best just to ask at your appointments for the general time frame of how they do things at your hospital.
I should be ok. Got a few final tests in the next couple of weeks but optimistic although even once I get put through, it will still be a few months before my operation but considering I've been on the journey since Nov 2016 (when I got referred by by gp), I can almost see the losers bench lol

It really is nice to have someone on same journey and under same hospital, especially as your a week in front, I get the low down on what to expect the following week - ha ha x

I can't speak for all the trust's but imagine it would still be the whole year. Best just to ask at your appointments for the general time frame of how they do things at your hospital.
I should be ok. Got a few final tests in the next couple of weeks but optimistic although even once I get put through, it will still be a few months before my operation but considering I've been on the journey since Nov 2016 (when I got referred by by gp), I can almost see the losers bench lol
I got referred in June so I’m keen to start and then get myself of the official list. How much did you lose doing tier 3?
You sound like the heading to the finish line, How exciting x

I've lost over my 5% and haven't been super strict so it's all good.

Back