• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work for surgery. (band)

stripeytop

How much time off did you need? Did you tell your employer and what did your sick note say?
I'm not sure I will want to broadcast it to everyone so am a bit worried about this aspect.

Hi Stripeytop,
I am still pre-op so can't help but I am in the same position as you, except going for bypass. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with help. Best wishes
Bunny

Hi

I had my band 10/07/09.I was off for 2 weeks.All went well and 2 weeks was plenty time. I asked my gp for a note and he put Gastric Surgery. I didnt broadcast in work,just told line manager and asked for it not to be broadcast.
Hope this helps:wave_cry:

Hi I had my band on Sat 19/09/09 in the single incision procedure, very fortunate no real pain just discomfort in the waist area after, and some wind pains in left shoulder.

I went back to work on the Monday. I planned to go off sick if i needed to but was fine, just tired so left work early, in the afternoon mon and tues. By Wednesday felt great, did not broadcast it sonobody was any the wiser.

Did not go out or do anything in the evening for 2 weeks and took it very easy .

Every one is different, expect the best and plan for maybe being off 1 week at least, my surgeon told me to be guided
by how i felt so i did.

No Spring Chick either, more like an old hen . (54) .

Good luck with the bands ladies

Hiya stripeytop, I had my band fitted on Saturday 12th September and took 1 weeks holiday. I really needed the full week cos I didnt feel "normal" again until the Friday. I only told my boss about the surgery until I had had it then told the rest of my colleagues when I went back to work. I have to say they are all very supportive and really encourage me by all their lovely comments that they can really see the weight loss now. I know its a personal choice but if you have great work colleagues I would deffo recommend sharing the "new you" with them.

Good luck. xx

Work doesnt know about my op, all they know is i'm having a stomach op and thats what my sick note says 'abdominal surgery'. I was told 6 - 8 weeks off work and to be honest i'm just over 5 weeks post op and i'm ready to go back.

Everyone recovers differently, I would plan for the longer time off sick then if you do feel you can get back earlier thats a bonus. Good luck with your op xx

I'm taking 1 day as annual leave and one day as flexi, because Im going to be a bander if I take "sick" days it will be for fills which will only be a few hours...hopefully.

Although I am not post-op yet, my surgeon said that I may need up to 4 weeks off (by-pass surgery) but it does depend on how you feel. I have told my boss about the procedure, partly because I work in HR and partly because work allows us time off for hospital appointments. I am sure if you explain to your doctor they will make your certificate as generic as possible.

Good luck.

Hi there,

I would say, depending on the type of job you do, the most you would need to take off is 2 weeks.

I know that I felt very uncomfortable for the first 4-5 days after surgery but was able to do very very light housework and sit at a PC. Week 2 after surgery I was back to reasonably normal by the Friday and went out on the weekend to a family do.

If you can get 2 weeks off do, allow yourself plenty of time to heal and adjust :)

Hi, everyone is different. My sister had the band nearly 2 years ago and had 2 weeks off work and said that she needed it, her boss was very understanding and said to get a sick note stating post operation recover (or something similiar).

I had my band in April, and took the time as annual leave, and only had 1 week off after the op, and to be honest I could have returned to work after 3 days, I was walking around Ikea 2 days after the surgery. I also agree that if you feel willing to tell your coleagues that they will be greatly supportive. I told my boss, HR and my team, all of whom have been brilliant.

Good luck with your band.

i have told my boss i may b havin the surgery and told her i get 1 or 2 weeks on sick and when my sick is up im takin a weeks holiday, only because my job is all manual (packin things u order from catalogues), stood up for nearly 8 hours a day except breaks so i need to make sure im more than better b4 i go back, as for tellin work friends, only the ones i trust know as well as my boss. im not tellin everyone else till after my surgery then i may just say im on a strict diet from the doctor.

Well, thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of the sick note being as vague as possible. I don't have a manual job but do work irregular hours. (hotel work) And I am a bit of a wimp.

Back