• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

is time off work payed after op???

kaycee00

hello ladys and gents just thinking about what to tell work ?? dont want to tell what i am having done but need the time off work ... i no that the hospital will give me a sick note but what will they put on it ?? also do you get payed when off work as this is an elective op ......thanks :p

It depends on your company policies kaycee. Many companies seem to class WLS as cosmetic surgery and will not pay sick money.
That is why some of the ladies on the forum have not told their boss' what they were having done, jut said it was a womans op they were having.
Maybe you need to check.

Jay xx

When u ask for a sick note, ask for them to put on abdominal surgery or something along those lines, ask them to be vague as you would rather work didnt know, and they will be fine with it. Then i dont think you will have any prob getting sick pay.

That doesn't seem very fair to me as we are doing it for health issues. These things are so wrong at times. The government don't want people to be obese (God I hate that word) but as soon as we do something about it we get penalised. Sorry just sounding off, ignore me, thing like this just annoy me.

Hiya
I have to agree with the person who suggested that the hospital put "Abdominal Surgery" on your sick note. This is what I had on mine. As long as you have a sick note you should be covered, depends on your employer. I had two weeks off and I was paid full wages.
MNL:)

thanks for the advise i will defo ask the hospital to be vague as poss .. also i think the same as you sharron ..sound off as much as you like ....lmao xxx

I took 3 days off as annual leave and went back the following week. For me that was fine... A lot depends on what you do for a living, the commute etc.

Hi I wasn't entitled to sick leave so had to use my A/L entitlement!! My employer told me that it was cosmestic surgery and they would not pay sick leave or insure me for any complications with my op by being at work when I went back for the 1st 6 months after the surgery.

I had a week off, then the following monday was the bank holiday. I took mine as holiday.

My Op was private and I used my own leave...they class it as cosmetic surgery and it is not a necessity to have it if you do not fit the NHS criteria, then they say it is down to your own choice, that was my employers though each one is different.

I had sick leave. Paid private but as I haven't told anyone I could let on why I was off at all. My sick note just said adominal surgery.

It depends on you company but officially it is Bariatric Surgery not cosmetic. However, it is elective surgery so you may not get the time off.

Back