• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work

Helski

Hi
How long were you off work and what did the sick note say as the reason for absence?
I'm a little concerned as I don't want colleagues to know about the op.
Thanks.

Time off will depend on
~ your provider
~ and your job

:)

As a guide they suggest that you should take a week to recover etc, if you do a lot of lifting then more may be needed. Some people are ok to return in less than that time, but still find it tiring and hard going. Some people need a little more.

I would certainly book a week off to give you the chance of recovery. I fitted mine into school holidays, would have been able to have gone back to work after day 4. I was back driving fully and long distance on day 3 (with permission from the insurance company!) but I was off longer as I had 5 days off work and it went into a bank holiday weekend.

As for the sick note, if you're just off for a week you can self certificate. Others obtain a note which says "abdominal surgery". My work place don't know about mine. And 13 months out, they still dont lol

Thanks

Thanks for your prompt response I am fully employed by a large organisation in an office role, mostly desk based. I'm having the surgery done privately by 'Healthier Weight' at a Nuffield hospital.

Last edited:
Ah, we have the same provider :) although I've now had my band for almost 14 months.

They will suggest minimum 1 week for office based work, and that does tend to be enough time off to get back to a certain level. You may still feel tired etc afterwards but by that time the majority of the soreness tends to have gone.

I would certainly go for a week :)

I have been recommended 2 weeks as has my husband. But he has to take a further 3 weeks on light duties only as he is a farmer x

Have you been happy with their service?
PS: I'm happy to have at least 2 possibly 3 weeks off. I'm bored stiff at work!

Have you been happy with their service?
PS: I'm happy to have at least 2 possibly 3 weeks off. I'm bored stiff at work!

Very much so. They give very detailed info and guidelines, follow those as they are great. They also have good follow up care or so I've found. No problems at all, and they have been very supportive in my quest to find restriction.

You wouldn't need 3 weeks off, 7-10 days would be ample unless you wanted to :)

I had 2 weeks off Dolan Park did me a note which said "Surgical Procedure" It was on Dolan Park headed paper tho with the surgeons name which if they had googled they could have seen exactly what I had had done.

So I went to my GP (who is generally a bit of a ... well hes not very nice) I came straight to the point told him what I had done and asked him to write me another note saying exactly the same "Surgical Procedure" but on his sick note with his stamp and signature and he did it.

My team manager is a 23 year old spotty kid that weighs about 7 stone would have been far to difficult explaining everything to him xx

I was recommended to take one week off. I didn't want to go back to work while I was still on liquids, so I booked a fortnight's holiday. I was able to do my (largely desk-based) job after a week though!

I needed 2 weeks for my active job. Gp gave me a cert after first week which said post operative recovery

I took a week off but could probably have gone back after 5 days, I do a desk job.

I wasn't even asked for a doctor's note.

Hi, I had my surgery last Friday 18th Oct. I'm not ready to return to work just yet. I still have a lot of trapped wind and soreness around the port wound. I would probably be ok to return next week but as it is half term I get the time off anyway.

Best to see how you feel as every knee heals differently. God luck with your surgery.

I hope that you're doing well. The reality of what I'm booked in for is really hitting home now and I do wonder what I have let myself in for. But I have to do something so I guess this is it.

I will be exactly one month behind you so it will be interesting to see how we get on.

Good luck!

I had the opportunity last weekend and am definitely ok to go back to work tomorrow ...What a shame doctor signed me off for two weeks... another week of loose women. Result!

That should read op not opportunity...predictive text.

Back