• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work Gastric Band

Vespa

Hey,

I just wanted to know roughly how much time people have taken off work for the band?

As, when my mum had it done, she was back after two days and I know there's no way I'm that strong! Hehe!

Thanks in advance xxx

Well I pretty much think it depends on what type of job u have, but I would think at the very least about 2 weeks x

from me phone :D

I had the op tue pm and no way would I be fit after 2 days. Iv got the whole of next week off and somewhat panicking in case that's not enough!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

They said first of all i'd need 4 weeks, but I said that wouldn't be possible so they then said if I could go back part time I'd need to have 2 weeks off, then go back part time for 2 weeks. I did 3 half-days last week and 5 half-days this week and I also have Monday off as I'm still not feeling great (though this may be becuase I've picked something up - wasn't feeling grand yesterday either)

the biggest issue is that I'm not eating much so i'm getting little usable energy. If you have a sedate job it mght not be a problem but I work for a CEO and it can get pretty stressful.

The first week I couldn't do anything, the second week I spent trying to get enough fluids into me and to be able to stay awake for more than a few hours and tbh, I didn't feel anywhere near close to normal until my third week.

Not only that but you need to give your body time to heal and recover and get used to the band being in before doing anything strenuous, becuase if you do too much too early it could have serious repercussions :-/

Everybody is different tbh, if your job is a desk one I think you would be ok after 1-2 weeks but if it involves a heavy lifting etc I would say 6 weeks tbh or until you have got the all clear from surgeon, even though you may feel ok your insides will still be healing for quite a while afterwards.

you stay off work as long as your on the purree diet, 2 weeks for bands & 4 weeks for bypass x

I had band on the Saturday and was back to work the following Saturday I was uncomfortable, but fine; every day after the op makes a huge difference to how much better you feel x

I took a week off and was fine to go back. Everyone is different though so see how you feel!

Back