• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY and how long did you have off from work?

I will be 8 weeks post op on Sunday, and my sicknote will run out on Tuesday. I am tired all the time and have no energy, not sure if I should go back to work, as I work in a school or have more time off. I am getting texts from work colleagues and am beginning to feel guilty but I am scared of feeling ill at work.

I just wondered how long other RNY post oppers have had off work?

Cheers

Am pre op Vicky but good luck with your recovery I am sure there will be someone along soon who can help Love Jay xx

I'm 5 weeks post-op today and my GP has signed me off until next Monday. I tend to run out of steam in the afternoon.

I could do with going back as I am now in a no pay situation, but my GP is hesitant. It is a major procedure we have had and as he says, the problem with going back to work while still healing, everyone will forget and assume business as normal.

My employer (NHS) has agreed to a staged return (i.e return at reduced hours) over a few weeks, pending sign-off by my GP.

Is this possible with your employer?

Hi Vicky - you need to make sure you feel healed outside really - what age group are you working with - little children are sounpredictable with their movements!!! Also You'll feel tired when you go back anyway. I've been told 6 weeks. I am pre-op. I know how you feel about time off though - it is very difficult. Let me know how you get on. xx

I'm 5 weeks post-op today and my GP has signed me off until next Monday. I tend to run out of steam in the afternoon.

I could do with going back as I am now in a no pay situation, but my GP is hesitant. It is a major procedure we have had and as he says, the problem with going back to work while still healing, everyone will forget and assume business as normal.

My employer (NHS) has agreed to a staged return (i.e return at reduced hours) over a few weeks, pending sign-off by my GP.

Is this possible with your employer?

Hi red I asked and got a flat no...its either there or not there basically, lol.

I will be 8 weeks post op on Sunday, and my sicknote will run out on Tuesday. I am tired all the time and have no energy, not sure if I should go back to work, as I work in a school or have more time off. I am getting texts from work colleagues and am beginning to feel guilty but I am scared of feeling ill at work.

I just wondered how long other RNY post oppers have had off work?

Cheers
Hi Vicky - if you are still feeling tired and low on energy then a school is no place to return to until you are FULLY recovered. Never mind work colleagues texting you and you feel guilty as Red said you have had major surgery and your body will not fully recover until 12 months (don't worry) you will be back at work before then lol. I am speaking from experience on 2 counts - first one i am a qualified ex nurse and second one - i am a qualified secondary school teacher (retired on ill health because i went back to work too early after suffering from 3 viral infections) so just relax and let your body get better in it's own time x

hi im pre op still but when i saw the surgeon at chichester he told me about 2 weeks .this seems very unlikely listening to you the guys who are experiencing the process.think i better change what i told the boss:thankyou:

Well I lost my job because of my weight problems as I had a fairly physical job, but now 9 months post bypass there are still aspecks of that job that I wouldnt be able to do.

hi im pre op still but when i saw the surgeon at chichester he told me about 2 weeks .this seems very unlikely listening to you the guys who are experiencing the process.think i better change what i told the boss:thankyou:

Hi Debbie,

I think it depends on what procedure you are having and how well you heal.

Craftygirl, wannaloose18stone and myself are all bypassers who had open surgery. The wound takes longer to heal.

I had 10 weeks of but my doctor wanted me to stay of a few more weeks, so he signed me of but said I was to go straight back to him if I couldnt manage. I was ok apart from been tired and my back ached But Im fine now

hi everyone just been fitted with my sleep studie equipment, they still say i will have a date in june for my gastric bypass but it sill feels like forever

Hi:

I feel bit of a freak, but I had RNY by keyhole on a Wed and took off 3 days plus the weekend and went back to work on the Monday after 5 days. I didn't think I had the option to take longer as it was elective surgery so it never occurred to me to take off more than a few days. 3 weeks past and life is entirely back to normal apart from getting used to the new diet.

The team did advise me at the time they thought I was pushing it a bit and if I did it again I'd have taken a week off, but I was fine on day 5.

Alot must depend on what job you have, type of commute, how well the operation went, recovery times etc.

Hope that helps given an alternative perspective. I appreciate it's vastly different to others experience.

Hugs
yoyo

Hi dont rush yourself your gp will sign you off for as long as you need my gp was great i came down with the flu a week after surgery and it really knocked me it took me 12 weeks to get my body back to normal before i returned to work as like the overs say was ok in the morning and it was as soon as 3pm came i hit the wall crazy.... take as long as you need your health comes well before work !!!

Corrine xx

Cheers everyone for your comments...a quick update, work have approached me to try going back as a phased return. Not sure if I am ready but well i am giving it a go, and if not the gp as said she will step in and give me another note.

Good Luck Dee, I didnt sleep very well when i had mine.

Hugs x

Back