• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work?

JayHobbs

Slowly Shrinking
Hi everyone.

I am due to have the operation in new year and am wondering how much time I will need to have off work?

As I only get statutory sick pay, I have been saving my annual leave. I have 4 weeks left holiday left to take before March. Any more time will have to be unpaid..:eek:

I am having the bypass via OPEN surgery.

I know some people heal and recover at different paces/times and there may be different complications etc.. but was just wondering what the average may be.

For those that were working.. how long were you off work for?

(PS: My job is not very physical, mainly sitting down)

Thank You for any advice

Jay
xXx

oooo hey sweets, well they say 6 weeks for open surgery, but maybe just maybe after 4 with sitting down you might be ok, i reckon its gonna be a wait n see on how your feeling xx

Hi Jay... it's a good question...

I was also wondering if they told you before if it's likely to be open surgery or keyhole? Or is there a reason why you know in advance?

Sorry to ask but it just occurred to me that I don't know which I am scheduled to have and was just thinking 'I'll find out when I wake up'...

Thank you Angel and Good luck xxx

Hi! I'm pre-op so I wonder about the same at the moment. My hospital tells me they will sign me off for 2 weeks from day of release (keyhole surgery) and they or my GP will extend after that if required. I guess it greatly depends whether you have complications or a textbook surgery and also how you react to the aneasthetic (spelling?) etc.

Hi Jay

I'm with the same provider as you so i'll tell you about me!

I obviously had open surgery too, as our pct are too tight to pay for keyhole. I had about 7 weeks off. I got too week 4 feeling okay when a sudden wave of exhaustion hit me like a second slap! So my gp signed me off for a bit longer. My job is also office based. When i went back to work i eased in gently and it was great!

I had keyhole bypass, but was only off for just under two weeks. It's very difficult to advise as we are all so different in how we may react to the anaesthetic, or how quickly we heal etc. I would suggest you banking on taking the 4 weeks and see how you go.

Last edited:
I was keyhole and was lucky enough to be done early December so although I had 4 weeks off work I only had to use 2 weeks as my company close for 2 weeks at christmas. When I had my gallstone operation about 5 years ago that was open and I had 4 weeks before I could manage to go back to work again. My job is sedantry too. I think its a case of waiting and seeing how you feel - hope you have a quick recovery x

Hi everyone

Thanks for some good answers and information. It really helps to put my mind at rest.

I will have to book my 4 weeks off and wait and see how I feel.

Luckily my employers are very supportive and will understand if I have to have a few extra weeks.. I best just put some dosh aside to cover me for a few extra weeks if needed.

I didn't find out until my pre-op appointment last week that I was funded for OPEN surgery.:cry: For some reason, all along, I was under the impression it would be keyhole, so I had been planning less recovery time.

So my advice to everyone on waiting list, is to ask what your PCT is funding you for.

Jay
xXx

I think thats a good idea to take the 4 weeks and see how you are....you might suprise yourself and be right as rain in a couple of weeks...good luck XX

My Job is a sit down Job, so my GP was happy to sign me back after having only a week off after leaving Hospital. I would recommend 3/4 weeks if your Job consists of anything other than sitting down.

Hi Jay

I'm under Mr Khan at the Manor also and like you waiting for open surgery, i had my pre ops in August and have been told my op wont be till at least March/April next year at the earliest when i rang them last week.

Not sure if they told you anything different about the waiting lists and if they have now improved the waiting list time but if not then wouldn't your work let you maybe carry over some of your Annual leave to help you out if your op didn't come until after March ?

Good Luck with getting an op date soon xx

Hi Jay

I'm under Mr Khan at the Manor also and like you waiting for open surgery, i had my pre ops in August and have been told my op wont be till at least March/April next year at the earliest when i rang them last week.

Not sure if they told you anything different about the waiting lists and if they have now improved the waiting list time but if not then wouldn't your work let you maybe carry over some of your Annual leave to help you out if your op didn't come until after March ?

Good Luck with getting an op date soon xx

Hi Dawny,

They wouldn't give out any dates, but nurse did say that it would be at least 2-3 months.

I guess that could mean after March...

I will speak to my boss, but doubt I will be able to carry any annual leave over as we are such a small staff team and under staffed at moment.

Good news is that as we are under staffed, I have been offered extra overtime for the next couple of months,, so at least I can save some extra dosh to cover any extra time off :)

Jay
xXx

My Job is a sit down Job, so my GP was happy to sign me back after having only a week off after leaving Hospital. I would recommend 3/4 weeks if your Job consists of anything other than sitting down.

Thanks Kim.

WOW you recovered really well,,

and what a difference in your before and after photos..

you look amazing! congratulations!

I think thats a good idea to take the 4 weeks and see how you are....you might suprise yourself and be right as rain in a couple of weeks...good luck XX

Thanks dottichic.
Good idea.

I had an open surgery for a belly button hernia repair about 10 years ago,, was only in for day case and was meant to be off work for 6 weeks, but felt so good after 3 weeks I went back to work,,

so I am hoping I recover half as well as I did then, but will have to take into account I am 10 years older, argggggg and the bypass op is more major op than that and will be harder to recover from due to lack of food and nutrition, weakness, tiredness, etc...

Jay
xXx

My weight management consultant Dr. Hughes at Sandwell said I was meant to go to Dr. Khan at Walsal Manor but she offered to request that I go to Heartlands and see Dr. Kumar so that I could have the laprascopic type and less time off work - in the end it worked and my surgery is in 2 days. The PCT didn't say anything...

Back