• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tinned Fish

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
Its me again,

Another quick question.

Do you think I will be able to stomach tinned Mackeral fish.

I use to love the peppered one that John West do, but best take it easy with plan ones till I am healed.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

No!Even mashed its hard to get down,you are rushing the foods mate slow down.Maz x

If you must have fish the best tinned is salmon mashed with a little lf salad cream or fresh fish; sole or plaice softer than others!

I have to admit I had no problems with fish of any discription. However, I do know someone that has a lot of problems even 9 months out. Hope the fish cakes go down well.

i had real trouble with fish for the first 6 months, but fine now, just be careful and make sure its soft and moist

Hey - I would be careful with any tinned fish as it can be a bit hard - fresh is best everytime :)

On the subject of mackerel though you may want to try this recipe - it's great for the soft stage of your diet and contains lots of essentials xx

This recipe makes around 6 fishcakes but as long as you use fresh fish you can put them into bags and place in the freezer then take out one for each meal....

Recipe

350g (12oz) peppered mackerel (although any fish really - whicever you prefer)
400g (14oz) sweet potato
400g (14oz) new potato
A bunch of spring onions (optional and be careful with these as I sometimes find spring onions can be a bit stringy and uncomfortable on the pouch - you can also try finely chopping a red onion but I would maybe wait until you are edging close to your 'normal' food stage for these)
Butter (I use clover light)
Paprika

Method

1. Boil the potatoes with their skins on. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes. A good way to check if they are ready is to stab a piece of the potato with a straight-edged knife. If the potato slides off the knife immediately, then the potato is done.
2. Mash the potatoes with the butter and paprika until you get a nice creamy consistency.
3. Chop the spring onions into small pieces, break up the mackerel and add both to the mashed potatoes, mixing thoroughly.
4. Put some grease proof paper on a large baking tray. Form the mixture into round cakes and flatten them to a thickness of about 2-3cm (an inch).
5. Bake the cakes in the oven at 160°C (320°F; gas mark 3) for 25 minutes, then flip them over and bake for a further 25 minutes.
6. Enjoy! xx

Hey - I would be careful with any tinned fish as it can be a bit hard - fresh is best everytime :)

On the subject of mackerel though you may want to try this recipe - it's great for the soft stage of your diet and contains lots of essentials xx

This recipe makes around 6 fishcakes but as long as you use fresh fish you can put them into bags and place in the freezer then take out one for each meal....

Recipe

350g (12oz) peppered mackerel (although any fish really - whicever you prefer)
400g (14oz) sweet potato
400g (14oz) new potato
A bunch of spring onions (optional and be careful with these as I sometimes find spring onions can be a bit stringy and uncomfortable on the pouch - you can also try finely chopping a red onion but I would maybe wait until you are edging close to your 'normal' food stage for these)
Butter (I use clover light)
Paprika

Method

1. Boil the potatoes with their skins on. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes. A good way to check if they are ready is to stab a piece of the potato with a straight-edged knife. If the potato slides off the knife immediately, then the potato is done.
2. Mash the potatoes with the butter and paprika until you get a nice creamy consistency.
3. Chop the spring onions into small pieces, break up the mackerel and add both to the mashed potatoes, mixing thoroughly.
4. Put some grease proof paper on a large baking tray. Form the mixture into round cakes and flatten them to a thickness of about 2-3cm (an inch).
5. Bake the cakes in the oven at 160°C (320°F; gas mark 3) for 25 minutes, then flip them over and bake for a further 25 minutes.
6. Enjoy! xx

Now that sounds very nice, best I speak nicely to the chef (well my wife lol) and see if she can put it on the menu for me lol

Back