• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tired, so tired!

everpositive

Man am I tired!! I pretty much sleep well at night, can also have a snooze in the day and still feel beat. I feel especially drained when I've been out and about and when I eat anything (although only small amounts of mush). I'll be three wks post op tomorrow and am going back to work on Monday. Just kinda thought the weak and lethargic thing would have passed by now. That said, is it to expected with such a small amount of calorie intake??

I am a little bit worried about the teeny, tiny bits I'm eating. Whilst I dont want to be back to my enormous plates in my 'former' life, I am worried that normal or next to normal eating will ever really return. Or is it too early to make a judgement at this stage? :(:confused::(

Cheers everyone! x

cant offer advice hun but didnt want to read and run. I find that being at home all day makes me tired if you know what i mean. You may find that going to work next week will help you to stay awake.

Some of the experienced peeps will perhaps be able to give you advice about your food intake so that you can get more energy from your food.

its still early yet hun, can't really say anything from experience but hopefully once you areback at work and maybe eating harder foods this might ease off a bit. Are you managing to drink enough fluid as well as eating, but if your worried or it doesn't get ezsier speak to your surgical team or GP.

Hiya hun. I am now 3 months out and I feel like I eat 'normal' now just kiddie sized portions. I have lots of energy now, getting active has helped also.Even a short walk every day can help. I was very tired in the first few weeks so what you are feeling is exactly what I felt. Once you are onto regular food you will have much more energy, you will see. Some people need a little longer to heal, thus the very tiny meals you are eating & your tiredness. You will be able to manage more very soon. Just make sure what you do eat is varied, meaning hit all the food groups and concentrate on protein.

If you are very concerned give your dietician a call and go over what you manage in a day just to check. They will be able to advise if you are getting enough and maybe give you some hints. Also you can take a look around the recipe threads, there is a large variety of recipes for all stages to give you some inspiration.

Best of luck & stop worrying!

Nic;)

It is still early days for you chick, once you start eating a bit more and you are further down your road to recovery you will start to gain more energy....xx

Its early days as the others say and I was the same for 2 weeks just wanted to sleep. But now 4 weeks on I dont even kip in the day and I did before my op

Man am I tired!! I pretty much sleep well at night, can also have a snooze in the day and still feel beat. I feel especially drained when I've been out and about and when I eat anything (although only small amounts of mush). I'll be three wks post op tomorrow and am going back to work on Monday. Just kinda thought the weak and lethargic thing would have passed by now. That said, is it to expected with such a small amount of calorie intake??

I am a little bit worried about the teeny, tiny bits I'm eating. Whilst I dont want to be back to my enormous plates in my 'former' life, I am worried that normal or next to normal eating will ever really return. Or is it too early to make a judgement at this stage? :(:confused::(

Cheers everyone! x

I was exactly the same at your stage - & even a few more weeks down the line!

I was so concerned I asked my consultant & he said the tiredness may last up to 3 or 4 months (it hasn't but I was sleeping for 12 hours a night, plus dosing & I have never done that in all my life!)

If you need rest, then rest, if you need sleep then sleep! Your body has been through a lot & that is when it is healing itself. (I can't believe you are going back to work so soon!! Expect to get even more tired - just don't stress & worry about it!)

As for the small amounts of food you are eating, this too shall pass! I can now pretty much each anything (but can't tolerate meat) but I just eat way smaller portions. As you say, early days to make judgements.

Actually, I went to the hospital last week for my 4 monthly checkp-up 7 thought I was doing really well. However, they just kept emphasizing "it is very early days as yet & you have a long way to go still"

Just take each day as it comes, don't compare to others - everyone is different & remember we are here if you need us!

You're doing great!

As always guys, thanks very much for your responses and sage advice xx

Claire,

I'm the same, I had my op about 10 days ago now and I'm due to go back to work in about 5 days. I'm not sleeping in the day but i find it difficult to get up in the morning. I potter around and pick my daughter up from school (15 mins walk in total) and I'm knackered.

I'm starting to worry about going back to work cos its a very busy office/reception, printers are on floor level etc.

Really worried cos I don't feel unwell at all but not sure if i feel ready for work, but in same respect I'm not unwell - just knackered!!!!!

ohh thank god i am not the only one, for me just getting up and showered and dressed leaves me shattered and i need to rest, i then get up and potter around, i went for a walk with my brother and his partner 2 days ago and it took 4 times as long for me to walk it due to taking care after the complications and because it was tiring me out. we got to the dry cleaners and i then headed us into the pub for a couple hours where we sat them nursing an early drink me a latte LOL but i didnt regret doing it. i am sure its going to get easier over time for all us newly post-ops

You've been through a lot of extra pain and that must have taken effect.

I'm tempted to get the sick note extended for another week to get me so i can at least last an hour without needing a sit down, but we're short staffed at work and i don't feel ill as such.

But because we're short staffed it'll be manick when i get back...oh the dilemma!!!

Hey

I am 4 weeks post op and i was sue to go back to work last week after 2 weeks. I managed a few hours then needed to go back home. I work in a busy office. I have not been back since as my doctor signed me off until next Monday. Its hard and it all takes time. I tired it and it didn't work for me but good luck for all those just about to go back to work.

I Think it will get easier, but it is still early days for you guys, I am in my 9th week now and just starting to get out and about now. I am lucky as I work from home, but I havent done none since last year lol, If I were you's I would have another week on sick and make the most of it.x

Back