• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To be banded on Tues - Newbie!!

big fat mama

Hi sorry to bother you but I have only just found this site and delighted I have - the introduction thread directed me here so hoping someone can help me x

I am being banded this Tuesday and am looking for people to give me their honest accounts of how they felt immediately and in the few days after the op as well as how long before they felt able to work. I am getting scared x

Welcome to the forum xx

I'm pre-op and don't know what I'll be having but the post-op ganders on here are a wealth of knowledge and I'm sure someone will be along soon to help and give support.

Good luck on Tuesday x x

Lovely to have you with us xxx Lots of luck

Hi there congrats on going for it!! and welcome to the forum:D

To answer your question immediately post op i felt really sleepy due to the GA but also very bloated and my tummy felt tight if thats the right word?? have you had an anaesthetic before?? that for me was the strangest bit ever as i'd never had one before. so i drifted in and out of sleep for about 4-5 hours. I had no pain what so ever the night of surgery did not even need pain relief as soon as i could drink i did and i also chewed windeze tablets every 2 hours. by 10pm in the night (surgery was at 3pm) i was walking laps up and down the corridor at dolan park i was supprised how well i was. after getting home the next day i developed pain the left shoulder which was complete agony so i had to take some soluable paracetamol 2-3 times per day for this and the pain lasted 2 weeks or so. if it was not for this i doubt i'd have needed pain relief at all!!:) my wounds were glued healed in no time and all glue was gone within two weeks. i had my op on a saturday so as i work monday to friday (nurse in gp surgery) i returned to work on the 9th day. I did feel ok but the bending to perform certain procedures was a little uncomfortable but i was fine overall driving 4th day post op and taking care of the family. I wish you well for your surgery and recovery and hope everything goes without a hitch. glad you found the forum use us well :D

I was second on the list and went down at 9.30 and was back at 11.00. Drifted in and out of sleep until about 1. Was really thirsty as had oxygen mask on and so a cup of tea about 1.30 was very well received. Husband went to pick daughter up from school about 2 so when nurse came I got out of bed to go to the loo and get changed out of my hospital gown and paper pants into my own jarmers while the nurse changed the sheets. Was in pain a bit and had to walk like Mrs Overall but by about 8 I was walking about visiting others for a natter. Didn't sleep much as although bed was comfy and you could change the height of the back, you have to sleep on your back a) to try and get rid of any wind and b) you can't lie on your side as it is too painful. I was getting the shoulder pain by the evening :(

hi mama and good luck for Tues. I had my operation in Belguim 6 weeks ago. I didnt feel pain after my op cause the hospital had me dosed with pain relief. my advice is dont be a martyr, take your pain relief regular for a few days at least. I was back to work 6 days after my op, was still tender, but every day after your op is a milestone. the first and second day are sore, the third, fourth and fifth get easier and so on.... good luck girl xx

Hi and Welcome.xx

Well done on finding the site, it is fab I joined 10 days ago and that was when I had my op. I got very nervous half an hour before my op and was going to pull out but pulled myself together. When I came round I felt queasy and sore and needed pain relief. I had my op at 2.30 and was back in my room by 5.30. I wasn't too happy with having to sit in a chair until 10 before they would let me get into bed as I had flown over from Guernsey was so up from 4.30 and felt lousy. I did not have a good nights sleep and had a terrible pain in my left shoulder. Getting up the next day my shoulder was worse, my stomach pain was hardly nothing. For 2 days I took painkillers. 10 days on and I still have pain in my left shoulder so I hope this will go in a few days. If I am honest it has been harder than I expected, but I am 19lbs lighter already and I know it was the best decision. Good luck on Tuesday xx

Hello you and welcome to the boards...im sure now you have found us you will be getting to know us.

If you look at my diary (me and my battle with the bulge) in the diaries section, i was quite descriptive of my first few weeks.

Good luck!

Thanks all, that was so insightful, the shoulder pain sounds scary so am glad I know about it and not to freak out I am dying to look at diaries and photos but it wont let me yet til i have 50 posts but i dont know enough to have much to say yet! Am sure will reach it soon enough.

I am being operated on at night, 730 pm - after work so will hopefully sleep through the worst of it. Meant to have my sisters hen night on friday night (she doesn't know I am having the op :( just hope i can put in some kind of appearance even if to sit still in a big cover up maxi xxx

Good luck with your surgery, I hope it's a relatively uneventful ride and here's hoping you have a speedy recovery. X

Back