• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Op on tues & smoking?!

doublemum

Hi all
As some of you may know i was called on weds afternoon with a cancellation appointment for my op which is on tuesday!!!!!
So ive only had 6 days notice, i'm struggling with the pre op diet & i'm a smoker, i only smoke about 10 a day but with giving up food i'm really struggling to give the cigs up too.
I know its for the best & the hospital said i only had to give up 48hrs before op, which is tomorrow but just wish i had more notice so that i could've planned everything so much better
Just feeling really down today, lots of things going thru my head, am i doing right thing (i know i am) will i die on operating table (i know i won't!)
:cry:
I'm sure this is all normal (i hope)
Lorraine x

This all sounds so normal! I had every thought passing through my head in the weeks and days before the op! You've already said you know you're doing the right thing, this will be what pulls you through on the hard and difficult days. Good luck, you can do it!!

I've tried and failed to quit lots of times in the last few months. I'm now on day 3 yet again with no ciggies. I'm actually finding it a lot easier because I can keep telling myself it's only for 4 weeks until my op. Of course I'd love to carry on not smoking post op too.

You can manage not to smoke for two days hon. I am wearing a patch and also have an inhalator which has been invaluable because it gives me something to do with my hands.

My surgeon said that if I am still a smoker when I arrive for surgery, he will send me home again. Don't let them do that to you too.

Buy lots of sugar free icepops to suck on for the next couple of days too. That should help.

And remind yourself that smoking can cause all sorts of problems with the anaesthetic and those two days will help your lungs so much.

have any of you got champix of the dr to quit smoking my mum and sister both went on them and havent smoked since and if my mum can do it i think anyone can hope this might help x

I second Champix!My oh smoked for 50 years plus 40 a day and gave up last year,never looked back.

Hello , I smoked alot for many years, and on new year (9 years ago) i decided at 2345 that enough was enough, i had 14 left in a packet , i smoked one after another after another after another, i made myself so sick and dizzy that i never touched another cigarette, if you havent tried this crazy method , its worth a go , now i am the worlds worst ex smoker ! coughing a whinging at smokers (i have become the person i used to tutt at !lol)
Wishing you ooodles of luck xxxx

My op was planned for 2pm. I had a slimfast at 7am and stopped everything at 11am...even my ciggies!
Unfortunately my op didnt go ahead until 6pm but it didnt bother me, it felt like being on a plane where you cant have one and it didnt bother you.

i gave up smoking the morning i went in and im fine dont worry about it hun x

Were your surgeon and anaesthatist ok with that? Mine is adamant that i won't get the op if i'm still a smoker on op day. I wondered how common that is for the nhs.

I stopped smoking the day my Mum died just over a year ago now. I'd had the phone call to say she had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away at 7:40am. I had 2 puffs of my first ciggie of the day, gave it to my partner and haven't smoked a single puff since! I didn't even know why my Mum had died but losing her shocked me into changing my life!

Hi you will worry, we've all done it when i went down for my opp i was crying my eyes out thinking about not wakeing up not seeing my girls again, they say it's very rare for someone not to wake up. please try to stop worrying and get ready to enjoy the rest of your life..

I feel for you I really do as giving up smoking is the 2nd hardest thing to do (the 1st being eating too much of course!!), I had smoked since the age of 14 and each time I fell pregnant I gave up for the 9 months completely (this was done 5 times!!) and then straight away after the births started up again, tried giving up completely several times but never managed it until my youngest daughter didn't want to give me a kiss because I smelt funny, we are a very cuddly, loving, kissy sort of family, even my older ones don't mind a hug etc, so you can image I was mortified, I never smoked another cigarette and that was 10 months ago! You can do it, it is definitely a mind over matter thing, the first two days are the worst as your body adjusts to the lack of nicotine and prepare to be 10 times moodier etc, but it will work, you can make it work and remember what you want most of all is your surgery, this one little thing can stop that from happening, so don't let it, be positive.

OMG I've just realised I've gone on for ages, sorry, but just wanted to tell my story about giving up, just wished my daughter had said she didn't want to cuddle me because my tummy was so big, might have stopped me eating so much!!

Good luck and all the best.
Wendyx

Please stop now cos when they give you aneasthetic sp you might wake with a real bad throat or cough and you dont want to be coughing post op.Also its harder for the guy who knocks you out,and healing is harder too.

Good luck for tomorrow Lorraine xx

i gave up smoking the morning i went in and im fine dont worry about it hun x
Do they not test for it?
I too have a short notice appointment. Giving me 2 weeks until surgery and am still smoking!! xx

Were your surgeon and anaesthatist ok with that? Mine is adamant that i won't get the op if i'm still a smoker on op day. I wondered how common that is for the nhs.

i smoked on day of my op but didnt smoke for 3 days after no one said a word

Back