• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To tell work or not to tell work

tizzbo

I there everyone. Due my gb in a few weeks. Did you book the time off as holiday or book sick. If you did book sick did you tell your boss what you were doing ?

I would tell them, be honest about it. In long term the weight loss will help you as you may be off work less as you will be more healthy with the weight loss.

I am not working at the moment, want to look for work but fingers crossed due op in June or July. Going to wait until after op to look for work as there is no way any employer would take me on knowing I am going to possibly going to be off for a good few weeks recovering from major surgery. It's just too risky at the moment in the current climate with jobs being a rarity

I took sick leave as having the bypass can take up to eight weeks to recover from, only told manager and obvs hr will know but that's all and no one else they have kept it in confidence (so far lol )

I took sick and told the world why, ppl will ask questions when they see the weight dropping off, people who I haven't seen in a whole now ask me if I'm ok or if ill, honesty is best for me at least it was xx

I haven't told work I am having a bypass. I have told them that I am waiting for a date for a hernia. I am only hoping that the sick note from the hospital is quite generic otherwise it will be self cert and annual leave.

I took sick leave. I only told the head of my section about my op and they have to keep it confidential. I sometimes have trouble with my line manager and his boss so just tell them that I've informed their manager of any details.

My fit note said Minor Abdiminal Surgery as thats what a bypass by keyhole surgery is. If a fit note signs you off for a period of time they can't/shouldn't question it.

I did contemplate taking holiday but I'm glad I didn't because I ended up needing twice the amount of time off expected.

I don't intend to tell mine, I asked the surgeon what the fit note would say and he said abdominal surgery so I am hoping to go with hernia, looking forward to a few weeks off over the summer.

I didnt tell my work and since I was having a Hiatus hernia repair at the same time as my bypass that was all I mentioned, my sick note just abdominal surgery and I didnt think it had anything to do with anyone else and I was back at work within 2 weeks after my op x

I told the head of my department, because like others i was worried what the sick note would say. I asked her to keep it confidential. my sick note said 'operation requiring recovery time' so I didn't really need to tell her the reason. I'm 1 week post-op today so still on the sick hoping to go back to work when the sick note runs out a week on Monday!

Didn't tell my boss, just said I was having abdominal surgery and the sick note(s) I was given during my time off stated that

I'm not telling. I dont want 800+ people knowing my business and no secrets are kept where i work. my doctor says its none of their business and she will just put 'recovery' from surgery on my sick note. I have been losing weight for a while and people have started commenting on it so I will just carry on eating what Ive been eating but hopefully results will be faster xxx

Thank you all for your stories and advice. I think I will ensure sick note says as little as poss x. So scared of forthcoming surgery. I guess that's natural.

I think it depends on where you work and who you work with.

I've told everyone I work with, and have had nothing but positive support. I'm 10 days post surgery and am still on the sick - off to the GP Tuesday for a paper. Its an individual things really for me being open was the best way. Good luck x

Back