• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric sleeve and .... work

lg2012

Hi all

Just wondered what did every one do about work when you had your op done? Did you take it off as holiday? Unpaid leave? Sick pay?
Was your boss/colleagues ok about it or did you have aby problems?
Did you gps sign you off even if you went private?
Sorry about all the questions just a bit curious. Xxxx

I was signed off by the hospital for 2 weeks. The note said 'abdominal surgery'. I didn't tell work what I was having done. I was nhs but they didn't know either way.

I was also signed off by the hospital for two weeks. Told if I needed any extra time after that to get my GP to sign me off but I felt *just* about OK to return to work.

Work were fine but they knew about the whole thing in advance and were very supportive .... and my op was on the NHS.

The fact that you might be going privately should not affect your employer's responsibilities and liabilities regarding sick pay -- surgery is surgery and everyone recovering from medical surgery should be entitled to sick leave.

See i agree with both of you there but my boss is being completely unreasonable saying its not major surgery and its cosmetic surgery xxx

That annoys me so much!! How can it be cosmetic surgery when it's being done to cut diabetes and heart problems and more??!!! Sorry but a tummy tuck may be called cosmetic but I had surgery for health reasons and I'm sure everyone else did too?!!

Er if you get a sick note they have to pay you end of.

SSP is paid when you are unfit for work and the reason is immaterial, as long as you follow the requirements SSP is payable.
Contractual sick pay is different and you need to check your contract, some employers will not pay because it is elective surgery. Tight wads!!

Kim

The current rate of SSP is £85.85 a week, which you are entitled to if medically unfit to work. Better than nothing if no employer sick pay x

.jumping through hoops with my boss am taking holiday and unpaid leave cos she deems it cosmetic and still wants a doctors note as to why I am having it done how Long i will be off etc etc and told me i had to be more soecific as abdominal surgery wasnt suffucient and refused to co operate until I told her what I was having done then it had to go to head Office and now h.r. WHO else next I wonder? So much for privacy. And wont even get Pau as its up to the managers discretion. But will try for s.sp.

Omg im exactly the same my place are being so harsh about it saying im inly getting it done too look better not for my health!!! Idiots!!! Upset me too much xx

Know how you feel doc said thats being unreasonable but wait rill i give ht the invoice for the letter15 pounds she wants letter she can pay for it. Am so amgry.

Omgggg what a nightmare!!! Companies take the mick they dont realise how much you do for them and when you want something back in return its like a whole different story. I refuse to use my holiday for me having surgery!! Xxx

barstewards.....

I'm off sick, but my company doesn't pay sick pay so I'm on the princely sum of £85.85 per week, even better is that the first week it doesn't kick in until the 4th day so i'll end up with about £30 for the one week!

xxx

I had a by pass had 4 weeks off told my manager and my friends and work mates as they are very understanding
But my sick note said abdominal surgery but all my work colleagues helped with milk diet and now I am back
Good luck

Well ive contacted HR and was told if your having surgery then theres no way you can come into work so as long you have a sick certificate its fine or theres a thing called special leave which is for people who have surgery and you still get full wages so have a look too see if your company do it. Although HR has said all this my boss is still adamant its coming out of my holiday!! I dont think so!!!!! X

Would your Dr discuss your health with your family without your permission? NO!

Even at work you may reserve the right to not discuss your surgery. No company can force you to. You do not have to divulge any more than is on your sick certificate!

If your boss insists on knowing details complain to HR they will put her straight. No one has the right to know any of your medical issues without your permission.

Some managers just dont know when they overstep the mark. You do not have to take holiday, if you are off sick you can not be on holiday. In fact you are eligable to claim back holidays if you are sick while on holiday :) let her argue that one with HR LOL

i was open with my employers who said it can be classiffied as cometic surgery, and therefore not covered by sick pay. I produced a letter from my GP advising that due to my co-morbidities etc.. I needed surgery and without it had a high risk of heart attack, death etc.. (harsh i know!)

my company then took the time to research this, and allowed me to book the initial 2 week period as annual leave and said "whatever u do on holiday is upto you.." When things went wrong, my employers returned to me my 2 weeks annual leave, and paid me full sick pay. I was only entitled to 3 weeks full pay whilst in hospital, 3 weeks half pay then ssp. Because of the nature of complications and severity, they really saved my butt and gave me 8 weeks full pay, 6 weeks half pay, pick me ups during my extensive hospital stay, and a phased return to work with limited duties - ie no lifting etc..

They continue to support me to this day.

Scooter you were lucky with your employer they changed their mind and were very good in the end.

WLS some see as cosmetic, in my case like so many it is being done for health reasons. The NHS do not carry out WLS for cosmetic reasons. So what gives a Company the right to claim its cosmetic.

In this economic climate too many employers use scare tactics and threats to keep employees from claiming their rights. If you take holidays for surgery you are unable to claim SSP. SSP is a statutory right and the company has a duty to pay it if you present a sick cert.

Sometimes it is not the company its the manager making personal judgements they have no right to make.

Back