• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too fat to work: This morning interview, opinions?

WeightlossDreamer

Hi guys just watchin a vid on you tube called too fat to work its a this morning video. Have any of you seen it and if so what do you think about it??

I didn't see it..but how sad is that ...too fat to work Oh My :/

the lady is saying that organisations are fattist and that she cant get a job because she is fat. That katie hopkins has said well that ball is in your court because you could change that if you wanted by losing weight.

Personally I just thought she was lazy. I worked full time in a physically demanding job when I was at my fattest.

yes me too! she was trying to say that fattist is being the same as being racist, but as an over weight person myself i do feel she has the option to change you know? A bad example of a larger person in my opinion x

With regard to your comment too fat to work , it depends on the type of work you do, high profile job, presenting a organisation. Research shows to date that employers are less likely to take an overweight person over a slimmer person regardless of the experience and skills. Very sad really but true, hence one of the reasons why I have decided to loss weight.

Ditto Here. The minute I got to the point where my weight was impacting my work I asked for the op. And equally, there will always be a job you CAN do - the question is whether you're willing to do it. I haven't seen this, but I was working full time at 30 stone, and I know the lovely Cicca was working at her biggest too, despite pain and mobility issues.

I think it depends. I couldn't walk so therefore very hard to get a job. I wasn't lazy though, I volunteered one day a week at my local vets answering phones. They told me they would employ me if I lost weight (they put it that if I could get around) and they did. I wanted nothing more than to earn my own wage and now I'm in severe debt because I paid for my op because I wanted it so much and knew my time was running out. What's rubbish now is I'm a full time carer so I can't work again. I hoping I'll get some help so I can go back again, at least part time. Sometimes it is an excuse, sometimes it's just life but always, Katie Hopkins is a vile person lol.

My job would be idea for anyone with mobility issues as its done from home on a pc :) So there is always something you can do.

If your job is looking for people let me know.

I think it depends. I couldn't walk so therefore very hard to get a job. I wasn't lazy though, I volunteered one day a week at my local vets answering phones. They told me they would employ me if I lost weight (they put it that if I could get around) and they did. I wanted nothing more than to earn my own wage and now I'm in severe debt because I paid for my op because I wanted it so much and knew my time was running out. What's rubbish now is I'm a full time carer so I can't work again. I hoping I'll get some help so I can go back again, at least part time. Sometimes it is an excuse, sometimes it's just life but always, Katie Hopkins is a vile person lol.
But you were still volunteering Shelley - it was only them that wasn't hiring. I do think its a very difficult market out there now and paid work is hard to come by, but there is the difference between not trying to and not being able to.

That Katie Hopkins is quite vile! People whose lives have been seriously put in danger due to obesity and related commodities have bigger fish to fry than worrying about a bloody work ethic! If some people can function both mentally and physically, whilst being obese and, mange to hold down a job, that's great. Some, however, are simply too ill to work!

It's actually quite funny if is wasn't so sad, how people on any benefits have now become fair game to attack, regardless of there condition!

Knowing what it feels like to be branded lazy, smelly, thick and weak-willed for being obese, by the likes of Hopkins and ilk, I'd like to think that I have become open-minded and less quick to judge others knowing how untrue and damaging such stereotyping can be.

It is hard to get a job when you're morbidly obese. I'm not originally from the UK (I'm an American with European citizenship), and I moved here 3.5 years ago. I went on interview after interview after interview for over a year before I found someone who would hire me. The look on people's faces when I'd walk in was absolutely demoralizing.

It doesn't help that I work in a field where people tend to be young, and often hipsters. When I go to conferences, I'm usually the only person who is larger than just slightly overweight, particularly among the women.

This has held me back in finding jobs, better salaries, etc. People have the attitude that fat = stupid & lazy.

If losing weight was as simple as eating less and exercising more, would any of us be in the position where surgery was the only option to be able to successfully lose weight?

As for comparing fat discrimination with racism - it really isn't a big leap. Discrimination based on appearance is still discrimination, regardless of it being skin colour or waist size. And it is one of the last "safe" prejudices to have for people. After all, the worst thing you can tell a person is they're fat or they're getting fat - I hear that used as an insult regularly.

Isn't crazy how we have categories of discrimination? Those who can not be mocked in any form or you will find yourself in court to those who can be attacked without mercy with no fear of consequences.
Its almost like school bullies looking for the next victim because the last one found some protection.
I freakn hate bullies and their need to prey on others to compensation for their own short comings. Katie Hopkins may be a nice person but I think it reflects badly on a society when someone like her - acting like a pantomime villain - finds a nice little job and plenty of air-time with her rancid views. Mind you we live in a class ridden country full of those needing to look down their nose at someone. At least its easier form them than looking at their own stuff.

im overweight(doh!) and have been in my job nearly 25 years I support disabled people and in my time ive come across many lazy "thin" people as well as lazy "fat " people but it the fat people others tend to focus on. when topics like this come up on tv and many people see it when your back at work your aware that people may be watching you to see how you "get around" and your aware that people may be watching, or at least this is how I feel .if your a "fatty" at work then you work twice as hard to be thought as half as good. thats what I think anyway

I hope that I'm not coming across as judgemental -I totally understand the mobility issues and the difficulty of getting work etc. i also totally acknowledge i was incredibly lucky. I also understand about working with younger people as I teach. I'm just saying that there are some people choosing not to try to work. As opposed to really genuinely can't do any job out there. And those people don't have to be fat if that makes sense.

I hope that I'm not coming across as judgemental -I totally understand the mobility issues and the difficulty of getting work etc. i also totally acknowledge i was incredibly lucky. I also understand about working with younger people as I teach. I'm just saying that there are some people choosing not to try to work. As opposed to really genuinely can't do any job out there. And those people don't have to be fat if that makes sense.

I completely agree! It's just in that particular interview Katie Hopkins actually had a point. Katie said to the lady yes you've been discriminated against but the power to change that lies within yourself to lose the weight x

I don't sadly agree with that. If I had had the power to change myself I wouldn't have needed the op and I spent so long trying to avoid it. So was nearly refused, despite the fact that I was getting to the point of being unable to work. So this lady may not see a way forward.

Not judgemental in my eyes at all.

Had I not been a skilled worker at that time, I'd probably have been one of those too fat to work (I gained a lot of weight being unemployed and depressed for over a year, fortunately that's off but I'm still with a bmi just shy of 60 :cry:). I was to the point where walking to my bus stop (2 - 3 minutes) left me breathless and having to stop every other house to catch my breath or rest. I couldn't have worked a job where I had to walk or stand.

And it does make sense.

Isn't crazy how we have categories of discrimination? Those who can not be mocked in any form or you will find yourself in court to those who can be attacked without mercy with no fear of consequences.
Its almost like school bullies looking for the next victim because the last one found some protection.
I freakn hate bullies and their need to prey on others to compensation for their own short comings. Katie Hopkins may be a nice person but I think it reflects badly on a society when someone like her - acting like a pantomime villain - finds a nice little job and plenty of air-time with her rancid views. Mind you we live in a class ridden country full of those needing to look down their nose at someone. At least its easier form them than looking at their own stuff.

Agreed.

When I moved to the UK (I moved here from one of the thinnest countries in Europe), I thought I'd be treated better as there are more large people here than there. I was completely wrong, and I've heard more taunts and had more negative experiences as a fat woman in the UK than I've had elsewhere in the world.

I think people like her may not only be encouraging such behaviours in society at large, but also causing them :(

I completely agree! It's just in that particular interview Katie Hopkins actually had a point. Katie said to the lady yes you've been discriminated against but the power to change that lies within yourself to lose the weight x

That makes it sound so very simple. The reason someone becomes morbidly obese is far more than just they like food too much. It is far deeper.

The power to change may lie within oneself, but tapping into that frequently takes herculean effort and isn't simple. If it was, would any of us be on this board, looking to have or having had major surgery to help change their life, to stop this? :sigh:

Back