• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too fat to work: This morning interview, opinions?

I'm not saying it is simple to do, jeepers I had to have an op to be able to do it so I'm not one to judge. I just think in my opinion if it was me in her shoes and I felt unable to get a job because of my weight I would lose weight. I in no way agree with anyone being bullied over their size I do feel that's wrong but one of the reasons I had the op is because my weight as it is holds me back. I had a choice to continue as I was or put those wheels in motion to change. If I felt I wanted something enough and had to change something to get it then I would, that's the point I'm trying to make. X

I think though not everyone is in that place where they can make that change, whether its weightloss via an op or any other way. It takes that special lightbulb moment.

Yeah, I think it is like alcoholics and drug addicts, who must hit rock bottom to truly be able to overcome their addictions. It takes that one thing (or pile of things), that rock bottom, to be able to decide enough is enough.

I must be extremely fortunate. Even at 26stone I worked as a consultant in my chosen field (purchasing), selling my skills to clients, representing clients and myself at national and international conferences. I have never felt my weight has held me back, or that I have been in any way discriminated against on the basis of my size.
Occasionally a supplier will make the mistake of underestimating me, mostly because of my gender or age, but maybe my size plays a part in that, who knows? I don't object, it gives me an advantage in negotiations if they dismiss my abilities - they tend not to prepare well which weakens their bargaining position. Oddly it tends to be the female reps who make that error, rather than the male reps.

My current contract ends at year end. I don't expect my search for a new contract to run vastly differently to my last search, despite my weighing so much less!

I'm the same as you hun, I never struggled with my weight in that sense, but its burden on me was palpable. I am so much more confident without all that excess weight. So while it didn't stop me career wise, I am a more capable employee now.

Back