• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too much weight loss after RNY

0Matthew0

I had laparoscopic RNY 14 months ago. I am a bit worried that I am still loosing weight. It's very slow now but I am still going down and I am wondering when it will stop. My BMI has changed from 43 to 23 and I couldn't be happier with the outcome but I am beginning to wonder just how skinny I will get. Really would like to hear from anyone with experience of this. P.s. all my post op blood tests have been normal and feel I eat as much as I can given the size of my pouch.

Sorry, my weight loss had really slowed down by 14 months out and I had to go on a diet and really work at it to get to goal. My BMI is still higher than yours and I'm 22 months out.
My first piece of advice is speak to your team/dietitian. My other advice is to increase calories dense food intake. Nuts are high in calories and protein for example. Switch you low fat instead of no fat yogurt, have semi instead of skimmed milk, put a little butter or spread on your crispbread, have a spoonful of mayonnaise with your salad. Track your calorie intake on My fitness pal and increase it little by little until you maintain.
Very well done on your weight loss. Relax and enjoy life now, and even have the occasional food treat if you feel like it.
Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

I began to add in more calories once my weight had got to my target. I was having 'treats' each day (mainly chocolate and cake), but saw the dietician last week and she advised me to cut down on sugary foods but to eat more nuts, full fat cheese, crackers and crisps rather than chocolate and cakes. She also agreed that my weight was low enough and to eat more food so I would stop losing.

It is a bit of a juggling act getting it right.

Thank you both. I will give your tips a go. I must admit I prefer to eat lighter foods like chicken, fish and salad since my operation. So trying to eat more calorie dense foods does seem sensible. The biggest change for me I think is bread and pasta. I used to eat loads if both bread and pasta before surgery and now I prefer not to eat them too often as I can only manage a small amount, I get full quickly and feel bloated afterwards. I like nuts and cheese so ill give them a go. I have recently discovered that I can also manage a small hot chocolate or piece of cake without triggering a dumping reaction so I could do that a bit more often too.

It is mad isn't it that some of us are loosing and finding it hard to stop when others slow down way before reaching goal.
I am in a similar situation. I am at a BMI of 22 at the moment and that is with all the extra skin also. I am a size 10, but without the skin I would be a size 8 and I would never have dreamt that this would be where my body naturally levelled out. I have started to add in some higher calorie foods etc so we will see what happens. My weight has been logged at the gp and so I am hoping that the start of next year I will be able to be referred to plastics.

too much weight loss

I have had similar issues. I'm just over the year mark and can't stop loosing weight. I can eat all the fast food, carbs, and sugar I want but the weight won't stop coming off. All my tests come back completely normal, and the doctors don't know how to help me. My BMI is at 20.60 and I weigh 120 lbs. I am already a size zero and can't afford to loose more weight. I have lost a ton of strength and energy from all this, and don't know how to stop this from happening.

Back