• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are you happy with your weight loss?

Tiggerific

I Love my Bypass!
I am now 2 years and 7 days post op bypass. I have lost over 75% EWL, gone from a size 34-36 to a size 18-20 and do feel and look much better BUT! I never got to that elusive BMI, in fact I never even got to "overweight", my BMI now is 30-31 (was 53). Pre WLS I wanted to get to a size 16 and was hoping I would feel and look "normal" (whatever that is? :rolleyes: ) I was 24st 10lbs and now I bounce (literally) from 14st 4lbs - 15st 2lbs!!!

I am waiting to have my 4th incisional hernia repair soon (I have a massive 30cm x 30cm abdominal hernia from surgery performed pre WLS which means I can not exercise and my mobility is quite limited) This time my surgeon has asked the plastics department to get involved and I am going to have abdominoplasty at the same time to see if that helps keep it closed this time! I am hoping this will of course lower the numbers on the scale and on the BMI chart.

I realise that the BMI chart is very vague and isn't a clear indication and that I should be completely ecstatic with my weight loss but I am not I truly feel like a failure as I never got to that size I had envisaged and that number on the scales that made me feel like I had achieved the impossible. I am forever jealous of seeing others whose weight fell off and kept falling off (I stopped losing at 16 months post op) I am gutted I am not in a size 16/14/12/10!!! I still feel FAT in my size 18-20, I feel like I didn't do all I could to lose that final 2-3 stone that needs to shift!!! I am still plodding on, trying my hardest to lose more weight....but them damn scales just go up and down between them same pigging numbers, no matter what I do!!!

What I suppose I am asking is: have you got to a weight/size that isn't quite BMI/statistically/average/normal and been happy/content or even over the moon to get there and how/why do you feel that way?? (I hope this makes sense?)

I am hoping my next lot of surgery (and there has been a few and I really hope this is my last!!!) will at least take me down to a size 16 and even take off some of them pounds I see on the scales...but what if I am still not there??? Will I ever be happy with what I have achieved?? How do you feel about your weight loss and how you look/weigh now??? :sign0009:

Alica xx

Stop looking at bmi charts etc they are very out dated. The point is you have made a amazing achievement that you would never have achieved with dieting alone. We are never going yo be models but we are all a dam sight healthier than we were. Enjoy and stop judging/comparing yourself

I am now 2 years and 7 days post op bypass. I have lost over 75% EWL, gone from a size 34-36 to a size 18-20 and do feel and look much better BUT! I never got to that elusive BMI, in fact I never even got to "overweight", my BMI now is 30-31 (was 53). Pre WLS I wanted to get to a size 16 and was hoping I would feel and look "normal" (whatever that is? :rolleyes: ) I was 24st 10lbs and now I bounce (literally) from 14st 4lbs - 15st 2lbs!!!

I am waiting to have my 4th incisional hernia repair soon (I have a massive 30cm x 30cm abdominal hernia from surgery performed pre WLS which means I can not exercise and my mobility is quite limited) This time my surgeon has asked the plastics department to get involved and I am going to have abdominoplasty at the same time to see if that helps keep it closed this time! I am hoping this will of course lower the numbers on the scale and on the BMI chart.

I realise that the BMI chart is very vague and isn't a clear indication and that I should be completely ecstatic with my weight loss but I am not I truly feel like a failure as I never got to that size I had envisaged and that number on the scales that made me feel like I had achieved the impossible. I am forever jealous of seeing others whose weight fell off and kept falling off (I stopped losing at 16 months post op) I am gutted I am not in a size 16/14/12/10!!! I still feel FAT in my size 18-20, I feel like I didn't do all I could to lose that final 2-3 stone that needs to shift!!! I am still plodding on, trying my hardest to lose more weight....but them damn scales just go up and down between them same pigging numbers, no matter what I do!!!

What I suppose I am asking is: have you got to a weight/size that isn't quite BMI/statistically/average/normal and been happy/content or even over the moon to get there and how/why do you feel that way?? (I hope this makes sense?)

I am hoping my next lot of surgery (and there has been a few and I really hope this is my last!!!) will at least take me down to a size 16 and even take off some of them pounds I see on the scales...but what if I am still not there??? Will I ever be happy with what I have achieved?? How do you feel about your weight loss and how you look/weigh now??? :sign0009:

Alica xx
This is my worry. Currently my BMI is still very high and while I don't give a fig about BMI charts I still feel very big. I keep trying new things, calorie counting, low carb, now slimming world. Not much else we can do is there really?

This is the reason I'm trying so hard to lose as much weight as I can prior to my bypass and I'm not stressing about my date, I was 22 1/2 stone 12 months ago and I've lost a lb short of 6 stone on my own, I've now had my preop and I'm waiting for my date but ideally I'd like to lose another stone before my operation so it helps to shift the harder second half of my excess weight, I'm sorry for rambling. This post struck a chord really, thank you it's helped focus me x

I'm happy with my loss, my general shape in clothes and if I stopped losing I could accept it. I know if I relaxed a bit the losses would stop.

My body is a whole other subject though! I am more critical of how I look than when I was 22 stone.

I'm saving for surgery at the moment.

Hope you find peace with yourself x

Sadly in my experience, those of us who lost more preop find it harder to lose post op.

That's interesting Yve. I didn't diet at all for the year before my surgery, I concentrated on maintaining and working on my issues with food. I often wonder if that helped me out.

When I dropped from 29 stone to 14-3 with slimming world,it took over my life,I became obsessed with how I looked & how could I lose that final 14lb to get me to my target bmi,something which I never achieved,looking back I don't really thing this was achievable,People used to say wow ,you look great,looking back @ photo's I think I went too far,now I have set a more realistic target which I feel is achievable & also maintainable,I'm sure that when the weight loss slows or ceases it must be the bodies way of saying hey I'm happy even if the glossy mags don't agree

Sadly in my experience, those of us who lost more preop find it harder to lose post op.

Yeah, I've seen it's harder, but any harder than doing it on my own? it's given me a good time to get into the right place and maybe it's been a little kinder on my skin, who knows, I guess time will tell xx

Yeah, I've seen it's harder, but any harder than doing it on my own? it's given me a good time to get into the right place and maybe it's been a little kinder on my skin, who knows, I guess time will tell xx

Hmm that's a difficult one. In a way, yes. It's harder because you work had beforehand and those habits should make post op plain sailing. I always believed I knew what I was letting myself in for. I knew it was a tool and I thought if I follow the rules from the hospital the weight will come off. I don't even mind if its slow or fast. But it just hasn't worked out like that. So I'm back to preop style dieting but with my tiny portions. So when I don't lose or I gain its heartbreaking.

Hmm that's a difficult one. In a way, yes. It's harder because you work had beforehand and those habits should make post op plain sailing. I always believed I knew what I was letting myself in for. I knew it was a tool and I thought if I follow the rules from the hospital the weight will come off. I don't even mind if its slow or fast. But it just hasn't worked out like that. So I'm back to preop style dieting but with my tiny portions. So when I don't lose or I gain its heartbreaking.

Sounds really frustrating, like back to square one but with disadvantages, I'm using my fitness pal, and just counting calories oh Ive found I love swimming and swim 60 lengths three times a week, I'm steadily losing two pounds a week, you know we are our own harshest critics.

I did that for a while too. Watched my macros, upped my exercise - thats when I gained two weeks in a row. That terrified me. I couldn't bear to go backwards. At the moment I am trying slimming world which is working for now. The advantage of this is that it seems to work well with my pouch and its easing some of my issues around being a perfectionist etc. The reality is that the op has made it easier to stay within a calorie limit or other limit. But the reasons why we eat are the hardest thing to change. Now I stand by the fact that my journey is the best I could make it and I will never regret my bypass. But its not any easier post op.

Very happy to read these posts as I thought I was alone. I am 2 years post op and went from a size 26/28 to a 12/14. Since January I have bounced around, lost a few pounds, gained a few etc. I would need to lose about 2-3 stone to get to what I THINK would make me happy. I am a apple shape so my limbs are small but my belly still holding fat and all saggy. I am so paranoid about it and keep having to remind myself of how far I have come but I think with human nature you always want more.

Due to other health issues I have not been doing anything more than walking and sweet stuff has crept back into my diet, I know with some effort I could shift some more weight but just can't get my head into the zone. Feel if I stay as I am I will not have succeeded....still feel that to people who did not know me 'before' they would still class me as fat and it annoys me. Really going to have to have a talk to myself and get moving!!

I just wanted to bump this thread and see if I get any more replies :)

Back