• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss after surgery.

Jenny196

Hi all,

I've only just had my surgery on Monday, (bypass), feeling a little sore still but tolerating the liquid diet so far. I'm just wondering how much weight it is 'typical' to lose and when? I know the team have told me I will lose about a third of my body weight in a year, but curious as to the stages this comes off. Does it come off quickly at the start and then slow down, or is it steady throughout?

Any experiences will be great to hear,

Thanks Jenny x

Mines come off quite quickly I'm 9 weeks post op and almost half way to my target! But everyone is different I have learnt that from this fab forum! Good luck with your journey x

You have to remember that everyone loses at a different speed. But usually during the first 6-9 months the weight loss is rapid. I'm a year post bypass and I've lost 12.5 stone. Although it's difficult, try not to compare yourself to others. Stick to the rules and listen to your teams advice and you'll do just great :)

Hi all,

I've only just had my surgery on Monday, (bypass), feeling a little sore still but tolerating the liquid diet so far. I'm just wondering how much weight it is 'typical' to lose and when? I know the team have told me I will lose about a third of my body weight in a year, but curious as to the stages this comes off. Does it come off quickly at the start and then slow down, or is it steady throughout?

Any experiences will be great to hear,

Thanks Jenny x

Hi Jenny,
There is no typical or any timescale only what your body can achieve.
Ii do remember in the early weeks/months coming on here I felt a bit of a failure when I didn't loose the amounts of others.
But I soon realised me loosing slow and steady has kept my skin looking quite decent still.
Even though I'm come from size 24 to size 12 my skin has coped quite well.
I'm 3 years bypass now,my weightloss stopped at 15 months,and I had several stalls throughout the first year,where I lost nothing! But when this happened my clothes size dropped each time.
Hope this helps x

Its hard because the nurses etc have said to me a couple of times that I should have lost more when I went to see them im almost a year to the day of my bypass and since my op ive lost around 7 stone, but 11 and a half overall yet for the last almost 3 months ive been totally stuck at 16 stone, you really never can say who will loose what and when just keep going and you will get where you want to be :) xx

Thanks everyone for your replies. I understand that like everything, we all move at our own pace. Just interested to see how others have got on.

Will let you all know how I get on,

Jenny x

Heey! :) I only had my bypass 2nd of this month so nearly 4 weeks ago (lost just over a stone) but I was told with my weight and age, I'd lose it mostly in the first 6 months. I was feeling down that i wasnt losing it as fast as other people i'd read about on websites have and then people telling me i'm doing it wrong (even though I wasn't) but now I'm actually proud that i AM losing it and exercising.

Hope it all goes well for you! :D

I spent first few weeks worrying and obsessed with how much loosing I'm now more relaxed about it and figure what will be will be. I think my body will stop losing when it's ready. I never anticipated being in the 14stones not even 3 months post op. it's a great feeling but just go with it.

I've had a rough couple of days, feeling sick and dizzy almost constantly, with an incredible pain low in my right side. I've phoned the ward and talked to the nurses who don't seam overly worried about it. So ove decided I'm not going to sit at home feeling sorry for myself... Time to get out in the world!

Back