• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

too soon to go back to work?

rachaelh

i'm kinda thinking about going back to work tomorrow, hubby and mommy dearest not amused but i'm bored outta my brains, i can't do anything here cos they won't let me, i feel absolutely fine, all scars are healing well and i've had no pain from the start (just wind but thats long since settled) i work in an office but don't sit down for much of the day as i'm checking what my staff are getting up to, no one at work knows about op other than my bosses so not sure what to do for the best? i was a bit naughty and i've been driving this weekend and felt fine and in my head i said i'd go back once i could comfortably drive... any thoughts?

i'm kinda thinking about going back to work tomorrow, hubby and mommy dearest not amused but i'm bored outta my brains, i can't do anything here cos they won't let me, i feel absolutely fine, all scars are healing well and i've had no pain from the start (just wind but thats long since settled) i work in an office but don't sit down for much of the day as i'm checking what my staff are getting up to, no one at work knows about op other than my bosses so not sure what to do for the best? i was a bit naughty and i've been driving this weekend and felt fine and in my head i said i'd go back once i could comfortably drive... any thoughts?

I would check that your insurance company will cover you to drive this soon after surgery, honey. As far as going back to work is concerned, only you know how you feel, but you are nowhere near healed inside at 10days post op & could do more harm than good. Good luck, whatever you decide xxx :)

I would check that your insurance company will cover you to drive this soon after surgery, honey. As far as going back to work is concerned, only you know how you feel, but you are nowhere near healed inside at 10days post op & could do more harm than good. Good luck, whatever you decide xxx :)

I'll second that, the driving is about insurance rather than how you feel Rachael. Also you will find that you have less energy at the moment because of the low calorie intake and so although you feel fine sitting around at home once you get to work you may not feel quite so good. you've had major surgery you should be taking it easy.

hun i had my surgery the same day as you and im getting bored too... im having my staples out on wednesday... but ve got 6 weeks off work... but i work on a till in a big store and as im on the disabled checkout, i have to help people in chairs and carry heavy things through the tills. so if you are not lifting anything heavy then it should be ok to go back to work... as for the driving though check your insurance company as most compnayies have a policy which says you cannot drive for 2 weeks after a major op...so your insurnace may not be valid xx

I drove a few miles about 10days post op with my OH we did the shopping (he did the heavy work) by the time we left to come home I was wiped out so he drive home & I went to bed once we arrived back. I could have gone back to work 3 wks after my op but that coincided with the start of the school summer holidays so I was off for 9wks all told. We went away in the August to Spain for 2wks & the rest there was just what I needed to make me relax despite the challenge of eating solids at 5wks post-op done with guidance from my dietitian so I coped. I think at least 3wks off gives you a chance to shake off the anaesthic but go careful very little food in leads to you feeling wiped out quickly if you expend to much energy. Try part time hours for a bit, mornings, then stay til lunch & then all day for a week or two so you don't over do it. Even the most sedentary job can be far more draining than we think initially post op.

Don't rush it hunny. I went to Alton Towers 16 days out and although I was fine at the time, it's the tiredness that catches up on you. Sitting around in the house all day is sooo different. I went back to uni after 3 weeks and that is just sitting in an office type chair, It was a nightmare!! The wind builds and builds whilst you sit and I really struggled. Enjoy your time and focus on the most important aspect, which my dear is YOU!! Soon as u r up to it we could meet down street for a cuppa? xxx

Hi Rachael I went to docs yesterday for another weeks sicknote which will mean 3.5 weeks off in total and she wasn't happy said I needed 6 weeks as I drive a long way and do a stressful job, but like you .... I'm bored!!! She said if I didn't drive as far it would be 4-6 weeks. She stressed that although I feel "ok" that inside healing is a very different matter. She wants to see me before I return fir a fit note. She also said I should give it a little more time before driviing. But that's just MY GP's advice. Others may differ. You will be tired out easy tho, but only you can decide. Take it easy what ever you do xxx

Two weeks is usually ok for desk bound jobs etc. As the others have said the biggest issue is the insurance company rules on driving after surgery, and whether they require your GP to sign you as fit for work

I was fine after two weeks off, but just take it one day at a time and don't over exert yourself in the early days xxx

I've just rung the doc to get an appointment and nearest one I can get with the lovely doc who reffered me is in the new year so I have one with one of the other docs on Monday before I go into work. Leaving it a bit late to let them know I can't go back yet if they say I can't.

I feel fab, not tired, no pain, have been out and about since the end of week one most days but resting for the other half of the day. My job (the paid one lol) is as an activities co-ordinator and I can be doing anything from having a sing a long, doing an armchair keep fit session, decorating cakes, or like to day going out for Christmas lunch with 10 of the residents. (I arranged it pre-op and I'm meeting them there to join in the fun with a bowl of soup lol). My boss was sister in charge of A&E at one of our local hospitals up until June this year when she had a large op herself and joined us, so she knows the ropes with ops and recovery and I know that she wont be allowing me to do anything that I shouldn't. I only do 4 hours a day 5 days a week so not too bad. I started driving again this weekend.

As long as your doc clears you to go back to work, I think it's a matter of how you feel tired wise and how your boss is about allowing you to return but take it easy in as much as not lifting, pushing, rushing around.

I'd like to say I'm desperate to get back to work but although I love my job very much, I'd much rather be at home as I'm a bit of a home bird and Tim is off this week on hols so lovely to spend time together, but I need to go back financially as I don't get sick pay other than the statuary sick and at this time of year thats not good. Especially as the boiler stopped working about an hour ago and Tim is out there with his tools 'having a look' (he is an electrician though so not totally blind lol)

Kate x

i went back to work yesterday, did a full 7.5 hour day and was fine, nipped to see the dr before i went and was told to take it easy but mention it to work that these should be trial days and if i didn't feel great i should go on the sick (as i've not yet had a sick note i took all the time off as annual leave!), which i did and work were great about it, felt a little tired when i got in but usually do as i dont get in till after 10pm, didnt drive in, got picked up and dropped off at the door just to be safe but touch wood so far so good and i'm leaving in 10 mins for todays shift thanks all for the advice xx

Good to hear that it's going well Rachael! take it easy
xxx

Back