• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

totally lost

gladys

All new to me this chat room forum stuff but will try.
Tried all sort of weight loss 'things' over the years, slimming tablets which worked but I was on a permanent high, all slimming drinks, hypnosis, and even jaws wired. No permanent weight loss. Not a greedy eater and always healthy but portion size.
Now with insulin dependant diabetes and all the strings and tablets attached I decided to have a gastric band done privately for my sons wedding. I lost 5 stone. But have had off and on problems not that I would dare have it taken out, the good overcomes the bad. I am now on a waiting list to have my band converted to a bypass and would like to talk to people in a who have had the bypass and their experiences.

WitchInWorthing

Hi gladys and welcome - I am still pre op so have no specific advice, however I know there are some people on here who have band 2 bypass so I am sure they will be able to help ....

I am waiting for bypass as I struggle with portion size so I have decided the only way to stay on the wagon is to be stapled to it!!!

good luck and keep in touch with questions and experiences - this forum has made all the difference to me xxx

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
Band to bypasser here :D

Loved my band, hated my port. Had a shed load of problems with my bypass, but now got light at the end of the tunnel.

Are they taking your band out and bypassing you at the same time, that's whA I had, much better & safer in my opinion (and my surgeon's).

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Never been a bandit. Had my bypass five weeks ago. Started in April size 24 (18.5 stone). Now size 18/20 (15.5 stone). Am delighted. It's been an experience, and at times a challenging one adjusting. Had no problems at all with the op. Felt great from day 1. The most difficult thing was the two weeks immediately post-op when all i could have was half an teacup of plain fluid every hour. I felt I was going to konk-out due to lack of nutrition. But soon over, then on to purees. From Week 5 it's experimenting with normal food - if you try too hard, your replumbing lets you know and it's not pleasant.

Good luck xx

gladys

Thanks to all who replied to me makes me feel I am not alone. I will have to get my sons to check this for me as I have no idea what I am replying to?????
My family are not keen on me having it done as I have infection episodes when my stomach swells up (where the port and band are placed) and I feel in pain and awful but I would be lost and a lot bigger without it. Is there still life after the bypass. I hope so.

gladys

Hi
Don't know if I am replying the correct way but any help and reassurance would be great. I was in pain a lot after the band so I don't know if it is as painful after the bypass. I understand I can still go out and have a social drink although only a couple as it gets into your system quicker (also makes it cheaper). Are any sort of spicy food out of the question. Can I eat a piece of fruit? bet you wished you had never said I could ask questions, but thanks.

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
Hi
Don't know if I am replying the correct way but any help and reassurance would be great. I was in pain a lot after the band so I don't know if it is as painful after the bypass. I understand I can still go out and have a social drink although only a couple as it gets into your system quicker (also makes it cheaper). Are any sort of spicy food out of the question. Can I eat a piece of fruit? bet you wished you had never said I could ask questions, but thanks.

Hi ya, I actually woke up from my op and thought they hadn't done anything. I was in no discomfort and no pain what so ever.

I can eat anything now, the only thing I do struggle with is chicken, sometimes I'm fine, sometimes it won't go down.

My life is so much better now.

I have noticed that I like spicier foods now than I did pre op.

lyturt

Hi and welcome. i had a band to bypass op in may this year. i suffered with the band and it ended up constricting my oesophagus and i had to have it emptied. i originally wanted bypass but consultant thought band was best. i lost weight before my band bout two and ahalfstone and did lose a bit with the band but once it was unfilled i ended up heavier than before surgery. my consultant eventually agreed to theconversion and i lost weight prior to my op on the milk diet. sincemy bypass i have lost 3 stone and can honestly say that if i hadhad the bypass instead of band four years ago then it would have saved a lot of suffering. i can now eat virtually anything low fat and low sugar just small portions and feel fantastic. it is great there are rules to adhere to post op to aid recovery but after that as long as you make good.food choices no problem. your body or at least mine doesnot crave sweet foods so avoiding them is easy if you feel you are not comfortable with your band anymore discuss having the conversion. i left hospital 2days after my op and have never looked back

lyturt

To answer your query regarding drinking i was advised to avoid it or have a very weak drink got to be still not fizzy
i can eat all fruits even raw veg such as carrots
i love curry and hotter the better i make a low fat one with a couple of tablespoons of rice and i popodom or half a chapati i find naan breads too heavy

gladys

Thanks for the replies I have been told I am on the list to have a conversion to bypass October time so hope to have a bit off by Christmas yahoo.
Lyturt. I notice you seem to be in the same area as me and went to Sunderland. On the few times I have had to go there they seem to be very helpful. I also notice you seem to be a dog lover.

gladys

Hi Thinnerjemima
Yes I am having my band changed to a bypass in November hopefully. I have been told that the pain is not as bad as the band. I had a lot of pain in the beginning and as time went on I kept having painful swelling episodes around the port and the band areas about every 4 months. Anxious but looking forward to the new me. Thanks for info

lyturt

Just noticed your surgeon is mr small so i guess you must be having your surgery at sunderland royal. one of the girls who had their bypass when i had mine was operated on by him and she was absolutely fine you will be in safe hands

gladys

Had my band changed to a bypass on 8th October. was told it was a bit messy inside as scar tissue had attached to my liver but Mr Small managed to give me a bypass. Quite a lot of pain and discomfort from port site also wind ugh!!!!! but I am an impatient patient. I will just have to be patient. I do feel better every day and dare I say it weight coming off hurray!!!!!!

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
That's great Gladys. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck. I had my bypass in July and now eat a wide range of foods but in considerably smaller amounts. The first six to eight weeks post op are very challenging I found but are soon over. Just bear with it - it does get better. I have lost 4.5 stone. Am thrilled xxx