• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Travel after op

jodie 79

Hey everybody I have a quick question for the post oppers.... I'm struggling to find any friends or family to pick me up from London after my surgery , can I ask how many days are you kept in hospital for and would I be in a fit state to train back home? Silly question but I'm trying to cover every possibility :0)

for a band sonetimes it's day surgery but sometimes overnight, you'd need to check with where you're having surgery.

I enquired about mine and they said that I would be ok to travel by train the next day on discharge if necessary, as it was my aunt drove to pick me up but I would have been ok on a train. I did travel with a pillows to lean on for comfort if needed.

The sleeve has been recommended for me and it will be at the UCLH, Thank you for your help I'm waiting on my 1st appointment but wanted to know what other peoples experiences were :0)

How long is the stay for the sleeve?

Jodie sorry if I am asking a silly question here but is it a band or a sleeve you are getting??
If it's the sleeve then personally I think there is no way are you going to be able to attempt a train journey home hun. Others may say different.

I'm getting the sleeve...I thought maybe I wouldn't be fit enough to train home...it's a shame I couldn't go to a hospital nearer my home town im going to the UCLH and there is no car park and limited street parking and smack bang in London where not many people I know will drive!!! Lol

A taxi? Not sure if the hospital will allow you to leave on your own either. I know my local hospital doesn't so I would check that out too.
Your profile info tells us that you are having a band done so probably explains the confusion ;) xx

I left on my own after having my bypass. I got a taxi the 15 miles home.

Yes i was initially going for banding but they have now said the sleeve is a better option for me...I will update my info now...sorry ? thank u all for ur help by the looks of things it's very different where ever u go so best to see how the UCLH does things x

I wish a taxi was an option for me but I live in Norfolk ..over 100 miles away

Ouch that would be one expensive taxi run! .. I hope you get something sorted hun but really don't think public transport is an option after getting a sleeve done.. This is major surgery we are talking about ;) but maybe I'm being a bit over dramatic lol

I agree with Frankie, I had a dreadful journey home after staying 3 nights post op. so glad my friend was with me.

Also, you shouldn't carry your bags!!!

Hope you get something sorted. There was transportation available with my provider, so check. Most NHS hospitals have transportation available also I think. You may have to pay though.

X

I agree with Frankie, I had a dreadful journey home after staying 3 nights post op. so glad my friend was with me.

Also, you shouldn't carry your bags!!!

Hope you get something sorted. There was transportation available with my provider, so check. Most NHS hospitals have transportation available also I think. You may have to pay though.

X

Probably cheaper than a taxi though lol

last time i had any surgery it was oral surgery and i had to have someone pick me up they wouldnt allow me to go on my own not even by taxi

that will be my thing to do this eve, research on travel...many thanks to u both u have been a great help xx

No problem hun, your most welcome :) Good luck xxx

good luck hope you find a solution

I know people who have come back on the Eurostar and on planes a few days post op! I'm sure you could do it but I wouldn't *want* to do it.

Back