• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to this forum

linz77

Hi everyone it's just taken me half an hour to find out how to post,so I hope I've done it right, I'm on the waiting list for a bypass which will be done in Sunderland march/April time,fingers crossed.im so excited,it's in my every thought,. My question is this.my mum wants to take me and my family to Florida later on this year,prob round September time.if my op date goes as planned will I be able to fly 5/6 month after it and if so where will I get travel insurance from? Please answer if you can,I have so many other questions that I'd like to ask as only my family and medical professionals know I'm having the op,I'm to embarrassed to tell my friends(after all,I've done this to myself ) thank you so much for taking the time to read this,I hope you can advise me xx

Hi

Yes you have done it right. Unfortunately I can't answer your flying question. But wanted to say welcome and let you know your post had shown up.

Im a bander rather than a bypasser so can't help regarding your flight question . . .but wanted to say welcome :)

Hi linz
can't answer your question but just wanted to say hi & :welcome:.
Someone hopefully will be around shortly that can answer your question. There are a few companies out there who do insurance for those that normal travel insurance wouldn't look at... I googled for a friend ( cancer survivor) a while back but I can't remember what I found sorry:eek:. You can always google and phone them to ask :)

You should be fine to fly in September. But if you have any concerns, you can ask your bariatric team's advice. They are the best people to ask :)

You should be fine to fly in September. But if you have any concerns, you can ask your bariatric team's advice. They are the best people to ask :)

Thank you,that's what I was thinking but didn't want to bother them, I'll give them a call on Monday. Thanks. :)

]Thanks everyone,I'm so glad I've found this help,I didn't think there was anything like this out there. :) if anyone has any words or tips that has helped them on there journey ,I'd really appreciate it, I've never spoken or met anyone that's gone through this and did feel quite isolated,TILL Yesterday , thank you :)

Hello and welcome to the forum Linz there is lots and lots of useful info within its pages so sit back relax read, lol, and get all that info stored. xx

i had a bypass in April and flew in September - no problems really but i struggled to stay hydrated whist traveling and got very faint in the heat once we landed in turkey. make sure you have plenty of water and some snacks (i took protein bars, had one on the plane and one when i landed following the faint episode). i was insured by insureandgo, about 30 quid.

good luck :)

i had a bypass in April and flew in September - no problems really but i struggled to stay hydrated whist traveling and got very faint in the heat once we landed in turkey. make sure you have plenty of water and some snacks (i took protein bars, had one on the plane and one when i landed following the faint episode). i was insured by insureandgo, about 30 quid.

Thank you so much,that's wonderful ,and great tips,I'll make sure I do that.thank you xx

If you don't mind me asking,how much weight did you loose in that time?

hiya and welcome to the group xxx

Flying shouldn't be an issue at all. But you may struggle with insurance I know a few people have had issues. Hopefully someone will be able to give you more clarity.

I called up my consultants office today and they said there shouldn't be a problem with flying in September but that my op might not be until the end of may,arrrrrrrrrrr. Will this ever happen, I am so desperate for my life to begin so that I can step out of this horrible fat suit that I'm living in. :(

You should be fine, I went on holiday 6 weeks after my op and it went really well. Hunt around for insurance and get loads of quotes as some ask about medical history which will put the price crazy high if you disclose recent surgery. I think we went with the post office or Tesco own insurance in the end and only paid £20-30 for the whole family of four.

Back