• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tummy tuck (hopefully) after weight loss and twins, advice needed.

meemini

Hi. I'm quite new here and interested in anyones opinion.
I have around 2 stone to lose to get to round 10 and a half stone. I have already lost 1 and a half stone under the doctors guidance.

The trouble is I know I will need a tummy tuck as at the moment it is awful.:cry: The problem I have has not only been caused by weight but also carrying twins a year ago.
I looked at my NHS PCT website and it said BMI had to be <26 (which it will be) but also I must have had a recorded weight loss of >10.
I want to mention it to my doctor (hopefully in a few weeks when i am nearer target) but my problem was caused by my babies so my BMI has never been near 36.
Has anyone else had a similar experience or even want to share their views. Thanks:)

Hi, My journey is similar to yours in some ways; in that I had twins (both 7lbs - hence the need for a TT) and was where you are now unfortunately this was 9 years ago and my GP at that time told me TT were not available on NHS. I dont know if the criteria has changed since then or whether my GP was just being unhelpful as he never was the agreeable of docs! Unfortunately, and I do not for one minute suggest you do this, I gained weight as I felt more comfortable being a larger girl all over than having this unsightly overhang which I found severely depressing. So I've spent the last 8.5ish years being 8 stone overweight. Am now firmly on my way down and hope to meet my PCT's criteria.

I know this doesnt help you but I strongly recommend you go see your GP as soon as you can to discuss this - do not wait until you reach the perfect BMI - you need any weight loss recorded. Be open and frank with your GP explaining that you feel that it is wrong that your PCT are only prepared to fund TTs on the grounds you mention i.e. a starting BMI of 36+. In most cases a 36+ BMI is self inflicted whereas the affects of a twin pregnancy is not. Also the physical effects of both a 36+ BMI and a twin pregnancy on tummy skin and muscles has the same affect and should be treated so. You'll need your GP on your side on this one. If you still have your maternity records look up to see if they measured your bump! The more info you have to support your case the better! Good luck - Will check back regularly to see how you got on xxx

Jax123, Thank you so much for your reply.
Unfortunately, and I do not for one minute suggest you do this, I gained weight as I felt more comfortable being a larger girl all over than having this unsightly overhang which I found severely depressing.
This is how I have felt too. At least the skin was filled out when I was bigger. I am in the right frame of mind now and don't want to put the weight back on.
It's very true what you said about it not being self inflicted. My BMI would have been alot more if I was as fat, as what I was big, carrying them!
I have an appointment in two weeks to be weighted again with her, so will keep you updated. Thank you for suggesting I tell her. I will do and at least that way I can see her reaction and she may even note it on my records for now.
I hope your weight loss is going well, 37lbs is a great. Well done:) Im sure your twins keep you on your feet. Goodness knows how fat I would be if I wasn't running around after mine.

Sorry I can't help with your questions but just wanted to wish you luck and hope that your gp is on your side xx

Hi. I'm quite new here and interested in anyones opinion.
I have around 2 stone to lose to get to round 10 and a half stone. I have already lost 1 and a half stone under the doctors guidance.
The trouble is I know I will need a tummy tuck as at the moment it is awful.:cry: The problem I have has not only been caused by weight but also carrying twins a year ago.
I looked at my NHS PCT website and it said BMI had to be <26 (which it will be) but also I must have had a recorded weight loss of >10.
I want to mention it to my doctor (hopefully in a few weeks when i am nearer target) but my problem was caused by my babies so my BMI has never been near 36.
Has anyone else had a similar experience or even want to share their views. Thanks:)
Hi ya,
Just seen your post and wanted to let you know my story is pretty much the same as yours (except mine is mulitple pregnancy's and not twins) By the sounds of it my PCT criteria is the same as yours but my BMI is not the main issue. Have a little read of my thread (TT Hope) and you can read my journey so far. I dont have much more to report at the moment as im waiting for the PCT to get back to me. Let me know if i can be of any help xxxx

hi meemini,
well I am in the same position as you my problem was mainly due to my children. My doc has referred me after 4 yrs of trying!!! And I have an appointment with a PS on the 4th March. Not sure what this means really, have been told different things from people (different PCT's) Some have said once they see a consultant that funding has already been granted others have said that funding will then need to be asked for after seeing PS. So in limbo really until I see the PS. Hopefully you will be able to get it but you will need to get your GP behnd you. I have also found very helpful looking up info on PCTs if your luck you can get minutes of meetings of when they have accepted or rejected funding and reasons why....gives you a bit of knowledge as to whether you stand a chance.

Back