• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Typical - over-restriction, now under-restriction

helloeverybody83

Hi,

So I went from 6.75 to 7 in my 10ml band. I really struggled to keep food down and it was starting to put me off eating 'proper' food because I would PB.

I started to eat soups etc at work because I was so embarrassed about the discomfort, etc.

Anyway I went to THG for a band assessment (still in my 2 year after care - was banded June 2013) and the lady agreed to take out 0.25, taking me back to 6.75.

My problem now is that I feel like I'm able to 'scoff' again - something I don't want to do. There's got to be a happy medium between PB'ing after half two teaspoons of fish and being able to throw a crunchy salad down my neck...

Bit fed up today. Sorry for whingeing... :cry:

Sorry, not being rude hon, just got no advice :/ Hopefully an experienced bander will be along soon.

Every infill I go for I have to go back and have it taken out again, I have a 10 ml band and only 3.5 mls, but like you can still eat large meals, but anymore I cant eat or drink at all, its very frustrating, so totally understand what you are saying.

I suddenly felt over-restricted after my last fill which was only 0.5ml, and nearly went for a defill (I'm at 6.3 in 10ml), but I persevered and it did settle down eventually. I hated all the PBing though.

I can now eat a decent-sized crunchy salad and don't see a problem with that. You need to be able to eat!

Are you feeling hungry? That's the key for me. I don't feel that hungry most of the time, but I still do when I need to eat.

Maybe your ideal level is 6.8?

I had a fill struggled for a few days so she took 0.3 out I could then eat too much so a few weeks later went back and had the same 0.3 in and was fine. I wonder if you could book another in a couple of weeks?
I'm having another fill tomorrow I think I'm nearly at the sweet spot and I'm not sure if I'm pushing my luck with a fill but as I'm covered thought I would try. Some days I can eat more than others. Today I've eaten more than I have in months. I'm at 6.3ml in a 10ml.

When you get to a point of being sick or food not going down due to over restriction it can take more than taking out a small amount of mls to allow the stomach to settle. The stomach around the band swells up and this can also take time to settle.

It maybe, that you need your next fill to go up by less than half a ml at a time, pain in the neck going back and forth but it may help. Some providers (and my own does this) will take a larger amount out, let it settle for a few weeks and then start over. This can help settle the stomach.

One thing however is that if you're over restricted, food can sit above the band without passing through and we think that we've eaten and then been sick, instead it is actually sitting above the band and only a small amount passing through. In these cases, this can cause the pouch to stretch.

I'd speak to your provider, they may well do an xray check to make sure everythings ok, and do a fill where they can then watch the liquid pass to see how the stomach reacts to the food, how it passes through the band at least then it may give you an idea on how best to move forward :)

Thanks all :)

I think (suspect) that I'm probably supposed to have bang on in between what I was and what I am now.

I've spoken to THG about and Xray and they said unless I'm in pain they won't do it under my two year after care. Nice! x

Hi hunni i'm fairly new to banding (10 weeks) and up until now still have an empty band, so its not an issue i've had to contend with just yet. Just wanted to say hope its sorted out soonish :) x x x x

Hello folks!

Aw - thanks Crystal, hope you're feeling alright and enjoying banded life so far.

Just to let you all know I think things have settled down a bit - am feeling like I'm happy at this level of restriction. I *might* get it slightly tightened again - but not as much as 0.25 again. It doesn't sound like big amounts does it - 0.25 here and there - but I can't believe how much difference it can make!

Back