• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Uglyduck16 - needing some support!!

uglyduck16

Hi All!
This is Uglyduck's mum here! I met some of you lovely folk on Saturday in Brum with 'Lizzie'. She told those of you there that she was going into hospital for some rehabilitation (physio etc.) on Monday. Well, she is now in hospital and they think that she may have fractured her pubic rami. If she did this, she did it simply by reaching over to stroke her cat in bed. The xrays suggest this but this needs to be confirmed. It is possible that what they saw was some old fractures from some previous hip surgery. It is also possible that she has injured some tissue, possibly due to loss of muscle tone due to fast weight loss and bypass. It all feels such a muddle at the moment. The 'meet up' was so informative about the amount of protein she should be eating. Scary stuff!
Has anyone else felt weak and had any problems with loss of muscle tone?
Anyway - those of you she gave her mobile number phone to, I'm sure she would love to hear from you!!
Thanks for reading this!
xxx jo xxxx

Hi Jo, sorry to hear Lizzie is not so good just now, give her my best wishes and I hope she has a speedy recovery...xx

im sorry to hear lizzie isnt very well send her my best wishes please, i hope she feels better soon xxx

liz x

Hope Lizzie soon feels better again soon ...............xxx

Hi Jo, it was a pleasure to meet you on Sat. I am glad that Lizzie is getting so attention at the hospital, it sounds like it is what she needs. Try not to panic, they will do their thing and get to the bottom of the problem. I know it is tough to see her suffer so but I am sure that this trip to the hospital will shed some light.

It is not uncommon to experience loss of muscle when you are on a drastically reduced diet (like after bypass), fortunately it is something that can be prevented by increasing protein and getting active. In Lizzie's case it will be a little harder because she needs to get more healthy before she can even think about being active. I think you are both smart to try and get her diet sorted & the rest the doctors can handle. Hopefully the doctors will have a good physio plan to help her regain her strength.

I wish her all the best & please tell her we are thinking of her. She has a family here that very much want to see her well, fit & happy.

Big hugs to you both!
Nic

Hi Jo, sorry I didn't get round to speaking to you and lizzie properly on saturday, but if it would help I can send you my mobile number by private message and she can text or call me when ever she needs too.

Please pass on my love ugs and best wishes and I really hope that she gets her physio sorted out so she can get more mobile.

Speak to you soon.
Terri xXx

Hi jo
thanks for posting and letting us know how things are. I know when talking to you on sat you were worried and as mums its our role in life but this must be so hard on not just lizzie but on you in particular as she is you little girl and we dont like to see them suffer like she is.
Im sure with the right input from the hospital and your love, care and attention (i know she thinks you are great) you will get through this uncertain time and come out of it a lot stronger.
It was a pleasure meeting you both on sat and please pass on my best wishes for a sppedy recovery.
look after yourself and make sure you have some you time as you so deserve it.
carole

Hi All!
Thank you so much for your support - she is currently 'doped up' on heavy meds. We are seeing the dietician tomorrow so hopefully will get some decent advice and maybe recommendations for protein drinks etc. I think she has been briefed re situation so I would hope she will come prepared and that she will have done her homework on bypass etc.
Still no def. news on actual injury - either way I don't think she will be going anywhere quickly. I told her you had been asking after her - she was chuffed - I have said I will print the thread out when I can. Bit tricky cos I can't access at work and printer bust at home, but I'm sure we'll find a way. If the dietician comes up with anything useful I'll let you all know!!
take care all of you,
jo x

aww thanks for the update Jo. Was lovely to see you both on Saturday, and sorry I didnt get to spend more time with you. There were so many people to get around.

Give my love to Em, and tell her we are all thinking of her and wishing her well xx

Thank you all for your messages - we saw the dietician today - she was encouraging but said that Lizzie should be having between 90 - 120 grams of protein daily (OMG!!!!). She is still in loads of pain she might have fractured her pubic rami or dislocated her pelvis - either way it hurts like hell!!! Still, she is in the right place to work on her diet, get stronger and have physio to help her to mobilise/get stronger when the pain has subsided a bit.
I really MUST find a way of printing this thread out for her - I've passed your messages on but she wants to see them for herself! I might risk being very naughty at work tomorrow and print them out there (tut tut!! - but in a good cause!!).

Anyway, bye for now

xx jo xx

jo send me yr work email and i will copy the tread into and email for you would that make it easier and safer for you at work.
Glad the dietitian knows her stuff. Give em a big hug from me. hope they sort her pain soon
carole

Hi Joe & Lizzie! I am so glad to hear that they are working so hard to help. I sending hugs and best wishes to manage the pain.

Lizzie, just hoping that you are coping okay. It must be terrible, I sooo wish you didn't have to go through all this pain. Just wanted you know I am thinking of you and crossing my fingers that you get some answers soon and get all the help you need.

Nic;)

Hi, sorry to hear about the problems, I suffered quite alot of muscle loss as I wasnt informed about taking in plenty of protiens after op, I also suffered some nerve damaging which won't seem to repair itself, they just say it may in time.

Wannalose18stone u r a inspiration mate and i would like to congratulate you on a magnificent weight loss and i hope you get out of life you put in which is total happiness.

Very kind word's thankyou very much, I hope you get what you wish for aswell.

Muscle loss and nerve damage

Hi, sorry to hear about the problems, I suffered quite alot of muscle loss as I wasnt informed about taking in plenty of protiens after op, I also suffered some nerve damaging which won't seem to repair itself, they just say it may in time.

Hi - thank you so much for your reply - do you mind me asking how the muscle loss and nerve damage have affected you and any advice you have been given?

x jo x

Muscle loss is obvious visibly and has led to me being very week in the leg department, my upper body doesnt seem to bad it's mostly legs.

Regarding nerve damage, my thighs are completely numb accept around the edges where they burn lightly constantly, there so numb I can stick pin's in them. It's worse at night when I'm trying to relax to sleap and walking can be uncomfortable. I also have a trapped nerve in my back and neck that won't heal, they only hurt slightly when I bend over and when I twist my neck fast. I have been told theres not alot can be done and just hope they repair themselves in time, I was also told nerve damage is a very common side effect.

side effects

Muscle loss is obvious visibly and has led to me being very week in the leg department, my upper body doesnt seem to bad it's mostly legs.

Regarding nerve damage, my thighs are completely numb accept around the edges where they burn lightly constantly, there so numb I can stick pin's in them. It's worse at night when I'm trying to relax to sleap and walking can be uncomfortable. I also have a trapped nerve in my back and neck that won't heal, they only hurt slightly when I bend over and when I twist my neck fast. I have been told theres not alot can be done and just hope they repair themselves in time, I was also told nerve damage is a very common side effect.

Thanks for that - when were you told that nerve damage is a very common side effect? Before or after? Just interested - before Lizzie had her op, I went through all my concerns with the doc - i.e. loss of muscle tone and effect on already weak joints, body not absorbing nutrients etc. etc. I was categorically reassured that there were no risks as long as she took her vitamins and followed a 'healthy diet'.

You take care and well done on your huge weight loss which I'm sure will make a lot of aspects of your daily living much easier.
xx jo xx

Back